Renault's 2009 F1 Car

Colinjb

Those front wing pylons are horrific though. There are elements of all of them which would make a nice car though. Ferrari nose, McLaren front wing, Toyota keel and bargeboard area, our sidepods, Williams engine cover and McLaren rear wing. All painted in the Williams livery.

Think the new Renault looks like a cheap Japanese Scalextric ripoff of a 1993 Williams. No offence Ponty.

Why can't we go back to something like the 1997 spec?

Good looking cars, the Championship was decided by about 2 points and we had 6 different winners. There would have been 9 if Hill hadn't broken down in Hungary and Alesi and Irvine weren't carp.

Think the new Renault looks like a cheap Japanese Scalextric ripoff of a 1993 Williams. No offence Ponty.

Why can't we go back to something like the 1997 spec?

Good looking cars, the Championship was decided by about 2 points and we had 6 different winners. There would have been 9 if Hill hadn't broken down in Hungary and Alesi and Irvine weren't carp.

I take it you are refering to Irvine in Argentina and Alesi in Italy?

Although it wouldn't have been another victor, just a displacement. Fisichella had the pace to win in Germany. It was a cracking season that.

I take it you are refering to Irvine in Argentina and Alesi in Italy?

Although it wouldn't have been another victor, just a displacement. Fisichella had the pace to win in Germany. It was a cracking season that.

I just mean generally off the pace. Alesi was a bit like a much worse version of Coulthard. Drove some fast cars, but was generally outperformed by a much better team mate.

I can't think of any particular races where they would have won. Alesi in Monza maybe. DC won that race and Mebourne aswell, so I guess that would have made 7 winners.

That season was just overall much more exciting than most of the seasons since groved tyres came in. Hakkinen should have won 4 race, but his engine popped whilst leading at Silverstone, Nurburgring and Austria. Coulthard could also have won in Canada if he hadn't stalled in the pits whilst Panis was breaking his legs. Some cars down the field even ventured onto the podium on several occasions. Fisi, Rubens and Panis getting a few second places for Jordan (Spa and nearly Hockenheim), Stewart (Monaco) and Prost (Brazil or Argentina, can't remember) respectively.

On any given day, the Williams, Ferraris, Bennetons and McLarens all had the pace to win races, with a couple of dark horses like Fisi and Panis. Could have been the best season ever if Frenzen, Irvine and Alesi had performed and Hill wasn't stuck in an Arrows.

In all, 14 drivers made it onto the podium and only Minardi, Tyrell and er... Lola failed to get a driver up there.

Lamenting over 2 points between 1st and 2nd in the WDC and 6 different winners in 1997 is a bit much. I suggest you recheck the stats from last year mate.

Lol, I know. :D

I'm not complaining about the last 2 years, and I have high hopes that next year will be even more exciting. I was just pointing out that cars can look terrestrial and still provide entertaining races.

• 2 weeks later...

The nose works well. Getting the whole car to work in harmony with it is the challenge, and being right at the front means it's near impossible for another team to just copy it and plonk it on their car without messing up their entire aero package.