Cider

harvey

Can anyone recommend a really good cider ?.

am a bit of a connisseur (sp) when it comes to pear ciders, if i do say so myself!!!

Brothers and Bulmers are nice, but don't actually taste of pears

Kopperberg is very nice and more importantly tastes of pears

but the King of them all has to be (without a shadow of a doubt) St Helier...........tis light,refreshing and goes down an absolute treat!! (bit like an ex of mine!! ) LOL!!!;)

am a bit of a connisseur (sp) when it comes to pear ciders, if i do say so myself!!!

Brothers and Bulmers are nice, but don't actually taste of pears

Kopperberg is very nice and more importantly tastes of pears

but the King of them all has to be (without a shadow of a doubt) St Helier...........tis light,refreshing and goes down an absolute treat!! (bit like an ex of mine!! ) LOL!!!;)

Thanks for the prompt reply St Boggy :smt023, you seem to have quite a lot of experience of various ciders, not an alcoholic by any chance :partyman:.....don't really understand your last sentence :confused:

Thanks for the prompt reply St Boggy :smt023, you seem to have quite a lot of experience of various ciders, not an alcoholic by any chance :partyman:.....don't really understand your last sentence :confused:

i was only introduced to the wonderful world of Pear Cider back in May of this year.......had not even heard of it before!!

am not really a drinker tbh, but have had a rough 2 years, so am seriously considering becoming an alcoholic!!!:drinkers: LOL

as for my last sentence, maybe my subtle humour and use of double-entendre (sp) has gone whooosh!!!, way over your head (bless )......:goodman:

Edited by saint boggy
my dad told me to

You are no connisseur at all.St Helier is f***ing awful.Brothers Festival Strength is the most supreme Perry on the market.Failing that Weston's Perry is very good too.

Koppaberg is also very very sh*t.

You are no connisseur at all.St Helier is f***ing awful.Brothers Festival Strength is the most supreme Perry on the market.Failing that Weston's Perry is very good too.

The last cider I had was Kopperberg pear cider and I found that most agreeable :).

The last one before that was Strongbow circa 1983 on Merryoak veracity with Paul Gardiner and a few others, I was very ill the next day.

Edited by harvey
spelling

are you not familiar with the concept of differing tastes,differing points of view???.....

feel free to have your say, by all means, but there's no need to insult MY personal choice just because you happen to disagree.......:smt021

are you not familiar with the concept of differing tastes,differing points of view???.....

feel free to have your say, by all means, but there's no need to insult MY personal choice just because you happen to disagree.......:smt021

Where in my post did I insult you?

Please re read post.I stated that the cider you like was awful,not once did I insult you.

HTH.

Where in my post did I insult you?

Please re read post.I stated that the cider you like was awful,not once did I insult you.

HTH.

i never said you insulted ME, i said you insulted my choice,my taste.....by dismissing my choice of cider by saying that "youre no connisseur , st helier is f**king awful"!!!.......

if i said to you that you have no clue about (say) music, that you obviously know nothing about music and that the bands you like are f**king awful" wouldn't you think " cheeky c**t, in your opinion maybe, but tastes vary"....

now do you see my point??

i LOVE st helier, you don't

that's all that you really needed to say, wasn't it!!:smt102

i never said you insulted ME, i said you insulted my choice,my taste.....by dismissing my choice of cider by saying that "youre no connisseur , st helier is f**king awful"!!!.......

if i said to you that you have no clue about (say) music, that you obviously know nothing about music and that the bands you like are f**king awful" wouldn't you think " cheeky c**t, in your opinion maybe, but tastes vary"....

now do you see my point??

i LOVE st helier, you don't

that's all that you really needed to say, wasn't it!!:smt102

I think you have over reacted.I don't actually care what cider you like.As for my taste in music,if you were to slate what I liked I could not give a flying f**k.Get over it.

BTW I love Take That,5ive,Steps,Gary Glitter & Johnathon King.

I think you have over reacted.I don't actually care what cider you like.As for my taste in music,if you were to slate what I liked I could not give a flying f**k.Get over it.

BTW I love Take That,5ive,Steps,Gary Glitter & Johnathon King.

this does not surprise me!! :yawinkle:

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
John Weston's organic cider is pleasant.

**Warning** Widow maker stuff though!

Unfortunately it's a bit too sweet for me though. The Weston's Extra Dry is very refreshing as is their Perry, but at 7.4% it makes for a short evening or a very addled one.

I rather like Thatcher's Cheddar Valley Scrumpy and was drinking Black Rat at the weekend which had an argument with me in the morning.

Just remembered, Vidas Wines in Spring Road Sholing used to sell a litre of scrumpy for less than a pound..........I wouldn't say it was nice, but it got you ****ed quick and cheap before you hit town :partyman: (This was 20 years ago) :D

It's funny how cider snobbery has developed again.

For years the only stuff you could get in a supermarket or pub was Strongbow, Woodpecker or Bulmers. Then Magners kicked off the new mass interest in the drink by advertising but many people think Magners is the cider equivalent of Carling so all these speciality ones have appeared on the mass market though they were in existence before anyway.

I'm a bit of a snob tbf... if it recommends pouring the cider over ice, it's probably ****e that is sold on marketing to kids! So I avoid it!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Westons is indeed a good cider.

As is my dads homebrew, surprisingly. Knocks your f*cking head off, mind.

He makes his own cider? Sounds a plan as I've got two very prolific apple trees. Any chance of a recipe?

Addlestones is a rather lovely cider. And I had one down in Cornwall recently called Rattler which was fantastic but I don't know if it's available anywhere else. I haven't seen it available in Sheffield anyway.

And I have to agree with Scott - Anybody who thinks Strongbow is the best cider available really needs to switch off the TV and get out and try some others. Strongbow is the cider equivalent of Carling or Fosters... Weak, tasteless, mass-marketed p1sswater!

To summarise:

Avoid Strongbow / Magners / Bulmers / Kopparberg / St Helier / etc.

Westons is good, and available in supermarkets.

Black Rat is good from the local area.

Try anything traditional / local / non-mass marketed. Not just for the sake of it, but because it is likely to taste much better once you've acquired the taste for it (may not be instant, but give it a chance).

Only problem is you're struggling in most local pubs. Visit a beer/cider festival to get some ideas.

I can't believe no one has mentioned these.

Stowford-medsweet-1L-vlg.jpg

449278203_28c79e275d.jpg?v=0

and my fav

image_189.jpg

Aspall Organic Suffolk Cyder is an homage to our founder Clement. This cyder has a higher bittersweet content than all our others, so is much closer in style to his cyder of the 1700’s.

Organic has an attractive golden colour; a marked fruity aroma of traditional bittersweet cyder apple, with floral and spicy overtones. The palate is rich, initially full and slightly sweet, with good balancing acidity and a pronounced astringency followed by a very long dry finish.

This is a superb cyder which we are sure Clement would be proud of.

Goes well with strong cheddars, Blue Stilton and pungent, ripe French cheeses.

ABV 7%

Best I have had and which I pine for now was from the Cider Bus at Glastonbury.Apparently it is there every year, they had medium sweet which was just luverrly, dry which wasn't and then in the evening when it got chilly they had Mulled Cider. That WAS the business.

No idea who's cider it actually was, never could read that well by the time we made it there each day:-)

Best I have had and which I pine for now was from the Cider Bus at Glastonbury.Apparently it is there every year, they had medium sweet which was just luverrly, dry which wasn't and then in the evening when it got chilly they had Mulled Cider. That WAS the business.

No idea who's cider it actually was, never could read that well by the time we made it there each day:-)

Oh yes, living in Somerset at the moment means I can try this stuff quite often. Memories of the first day at Glastonbury are very hazy after rinsing a few of these bad boys.

n513011343_696228_8555.jpg

Magners.

Perfection in a bottle.

This is the only decent stuff I can lay my hands on out here. It is nice enough but wish they'd import more types (other than Blackthorn and Strongbow). The few 'hard ciders' they brew here still taste (very much like their beer) of ****.

Cider used to be as popular as beer was over here before prohibition, but was almost never heard of again after the ban lifted, not sure why. FACT.