Your Local/regular

South City Si

Hayling Island - so my local pub is God-awful and full of Skates. Nearest local pub I would consider drinking (although the Olive Tree is OK) would the Ship at Langstone. Most of my time is spent in Sussex so my favourites there are the 4 Chesnuts in Chichester and the Selden Arms in Worthing. When I lived in Southampton (left there 2004 and lived in London area before that) my local pub used to be the South Western Arms which will the starting point for another exile's stag weekend coming up!

Some big fat bastard bit my arm, deep enough to leave a scar, in the Fountain.

Really? The fountain is only 2mins from my house, used to frequent as a 16yr old.

20 years late' date=' always a rough place[/quote']

Too true, seen many a fight

Not as rough as the maypole.

Bit before my time but remember some story

Really? The fountain is only 2mins from my house, used to frequent as a 16yr old.

Too true, seen many a fight

Bit before my time but remember some story

Thing is Hedge End has changed. When I grew up in Hedge End, everybody knew everybody and there was no trouble at all (going back 20 odd years)unless you came from Thornhill / Eastleigh / Bishops Waltham :). We used to drink in Shamblehurst / Barleycorn / Maypole / Fountain no worries. But it seems there is friction amongst various groups now.

There was always a pecking order and and you knew where you stood but now I dont think so. But then there was respect, which now there isnt, which is UK wide

Right, new forum new thread.

State where you live (area, town) and your local or good pubs near you!

I live in Shirley/Regent Park and my local is Shirley Park Inn, but also frequent the Hobbit in Bevois Valley adn the Alexandra in Town off London Rd.

What's the Alex like on a matchday? Was thinking of giving it a go this season.

Now that was a Pikey fest in there! The last time I drove by, some 12 years ago, it was all boarded up with the car park entrances blocked. I presume it's history now and housing?

Where was the Maypole?

It's name is familiar, but i can't picture it

Where was the Maypole?

It's name is familiar, but i can't picture it

on the roundabout coming out of Hedge End towards Botley, old aged pensionisers home now.

i used to play in a dominoes team years ago and the Fountain was a rough place in those days but was made to look like a playgroup compared to the Rising Sun in Botany Bay Road , Sholing

What's the Alex like on a matchday? Was thinking of giving it a go this season.

The Alex is a genuinely decent boozer, and not ruined by an IKEA-style refit as yet either. Good Timothy Taylor Landlord served and nice garden if it's a good weather day as well. Popular with Saints fans but also friendly away fans as well.

on the roundabout coming out of Hedge End towards Botley, old aged pensionisers home now.

i used to play in a dominoes team years ago and the Fountain was a rough place in those days but was made to look like a playgroup compared to the Rising Sun in Botany Bay Road , Sholing

I was too young to go into the Rising Sun but my old man and his colleagues used to go there in the 70s so I've heard that it could get a little lively! Sun Inn and Seaweed at Weston are two other pubs gone into the history books as well, remember going past the Seaweed boarded up 10 years ago or more and there was a huge fire. Ice House at Shirley Warren and Tramways at the top of Shirley High St always had a reputation for trouble and of course the infamous Windsor Castle!

Thing is Hedge End has changed. When I grew up in Hedge End, everybody knew everybody and there was no trouble at all (going back 20 odd years)unless you came from Thornhill / Eastleigh / Bishops Waltham :). We used to drink in Shamblehurst / Barleycorn / Maypole / Fountain no worries. But it seems there is friction amongst various groups now.

There was always a pecking order and and you knew where you stood but now I dont think so. But then there was respect, which now there isnt, which is UK wide

My mum and dads wedding reception was in The Maypole, that was in 1974.

The Alex is a genuinely decent boozer, and not ruined by an IKEA-style refit as yet either. Good Timothy Taylor Landlord served and nice garden if it's a good weather day as well. Popular with Saints fans but also friendly away fans as well.

V True. One of the last proper 'pubs' in city centre! Good for night out, nice on warm days and match days.

Run by a couple youngish lads who seemingly love sci-fi and films (movies posters and film statues/toys above bar). Very friendly atmosphere especially on match days, can be very very busy though if hot day.

My local is Woodies in New Malden.

Hidden round the back. It's an old sports pavillion and the walls and ceilings are covered in sports memorobilia.

It's got a beer festival this weekend and the wife and kids are away . . . . . .

While the cats away.............

My local is Woodies in New Malden.

Hidden round the back. It's an old sports pavillion and the walls and ceilings are covered in sports memorobilia.

It's got a beer festival this weekend and the wife and kids are away . . . . . .

It would be most rude of you to not attend and support the hostelry at some stage then!

Baddesley Arms aka Knights Cross aka Steak and Stilton is my 'local' , my mate runs it as well, which helps.

Luzborough House is my old local, is pretty sh!te though.

Are they both busier than when I lived that way some 18 years ago?

Can you answer? Or was that your third post?

What's that squeaking noise?

Oh! It's you Stu, you're so tight that you need oiling!

Mainly down to who I played pool for..

Swallows - Now dead

Sportsman - Now dead

Maypole - Now dead

Target - Now dead

Golden Hind - Now dead

Old George - Still alive

Forresters - Still alive

Don't really have a local but know quite a few pepole in the Peartree (boorley green)

And the Hinkler.

I'm still fairly new to Southampton and don't always spend a lot of time here so still not used to it really :smt053 ... i can't remember the name of my local but it's not very interesting in there anyway. So far I like varsity and the pensioners before a match. Bedfords, 90 degrees and reflex after. Anyone have any suggestions of better places? It's a bit weird being in a new area starting all over again.

My nearest pub is the Bricklayers Arms in Wimspon Lane but the wife and I often wander into Shirley and wander into the Park or Salisbury Arms if we fancy an Indian at Sultans of Spice, or the Brigh****er or Brass Monkey if going to Oriental Paradise.

Used to play darts for the the Freemantle Arms so occasionally pop in there and also some of the other pubs that used to be in the league like The Duchess, Englishman, Key and Anchor etc.

So there you have it, er, I don't have a local per se, but a list of favourite hostelries.

• 2 weeks later...

The closest pub to me is The Oblesik, but I have only bene in there twice in the last year. Same goes for the Bridge not been in there for over a year.

We used to walk over the Itchen Bridge and go in the Court Jester but these days they hardly open.

Once a week we used to go to the Mailmans Arms in Lyndhurst.

I also used goto the Avondale every tuesday for a few years and every friday it used to be the alex (better when run by the lesbos) it was quieter less studenty then, chambers, varsity, cricketers, wine bar, pensioners, harveys, goblits, oxford street and the stanleys.