Pre-payment meters!

SOTONS EAST SIDE

I thought the GOVT was suppose to bring down the cost of the units being charged for these.

As a friend of mine has one in a all electric 4 bedroom house with 4 economy7 storage heaters, and energy saving light bulbs through out the house, but still had to put £323 in less than 4 weeks, which seems outrageously high! :(

I think it's up to the suppliers to bring down the unit cost of pre-payment meters although I also think the Office of Fair Trading recently put pressure on them to do so, especially as it is usually the less well-paid who have to use them (not always, in case anyone accuses me of generalisation).

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Media/PressRel/Documents1/Ofgem28.pdf

I thought the GOVT was suppose to bring down the cost of the units being charged for these.

As a friend of mine has one in a all electric 4 bedroom house with 4 economy7 storage heaters, and energy saving light bulbs through out the house, but still had to put £323 in less than 4 weeks, which seems outrageously high! :(

that is extremly high!! thats around £80 a week or £4000 a year. Yes, id say there is definatly something wrong there

We have a prepay gas meter for our heating and cooking and are currently spending about £6 a day which is working out to be very expensive. Unfortunately its an old victorian house and has really bad insulation which doesn't help. Plus I'm on maternity leave so here all day. All in all not good.

If you have pre-pay meter, check out EBICO... they have the same rates for all customers in the same region, pre-pay or otherwise. They are also a not-for-profit company, and as a result, IMO, far more ethical than the majority of money-grabbing energy companies out there. They're not perfect, but in my experience, it's been worth it.

http://www.ebico.co.uk/