The Golf -Pt 37

saint_stevo

Got in this morning, noticed it looked a tad damp, puddles on the mats and passenger chair as well as the handbrake well, the bloody passenger side window was down and wouldn't go back up! I didn't leave it open last night, so it must have gone down in the night. Somehow?

Yesterday morning when i tried to put the window down it didn't move, guessed it was frozen or something as there was ice all over my car

Any ideas why now it is down, it wont go back up? Can hear the mechanism moving just the window doesn't do a thing!

I hate my car

Probably snapped the cable or a small plastic fitting on the regulator. Will most likely require a whole unit and new prices will be horrific. Fortunately there are shedloads of Golfs around so get yourself down Silverlake and grab a second-hand one. Removal and refitting is usually pretty straightforward if you have a modicum of nous and can manhandle a screwdriver and small socket set. Getting the door panel off will probably be the biggest challenge.

To get you out of the poo, take the door panel off, lift the window manually and wedge it into position from underneath with something suitable.

Got in this morning, noticed it looked a tad damp, puddles on the mats and passenger chair as well as the handbrake well, the bloody passenger side window was down and wouldn't go back up! I didn't leave it open last night, so it must have gone down in the night. Somehow?

Yesterday morning when i tried to put the window down it didn't move, guessed it was frozen or something as there was ice all over my car

Any ideas why now it is down, it wont go back up? Can hear the mechanism moving just the window doesn't do a thing!

I hate my car

I wish Mrs WSS was like your golf.

She NEVER goes down over night :(

ahhh fixed, the glass had come out of the 2 'holders' it sits in, so after a while stripping the door back etc, managed to drop it back in the slots and it goes up and down now!

My passenger seat is drenched though, how hard is it to take a seat out?

Sounds like the window regulator clips then. The older clips were plastic and after several years go brittle and crack. Tends to happen at the most annoying time of year, because when it's coldest the plastic is most brittle, and made worse if you sit there repeatedly trying to open a stuck frozen window.

There was later a metal clip that replaced these, which don't suffer the same problem, and VW used to replace these free if your car was less than 6 years old, am sure yours is much older than this now though so you'd have to pay for the repair kit. You could probably still get VW Customer Services to cough up some money on an older car as it's a common fault, but unless you've got full VW service history they probably won't want to know.

It sounds like you've got away with yours not fully breaking yet, but don't be complacent, they will. Fo shizzle. Best keep a roll of duct tape / gaffer tape / carpet tape in the car ready in case it goes when you're out and about and need to tape the window shut to get home warm/dry, and whatever screwdrivers needed to remove the door card in case the glass drops all the way down.

When it does go, this is how to fix it properly: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107&postid=9506802#9506802

And here's a link to someone that usually sells the repair kit cheaper than the dealers, parts needed will be different depending upon whether it's for a 3-door or a 5-door car: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/VW-Teesside/Window-Regulator-Repair-Guide.html

If/when you do need to get it fixed I wouldn't recommend using parts from a scrappy for this, unless you can see that they're the new metal type clips, otherwise they'll break too and you'll go through it all again.

WindowRegulator36.jpg

As for removing the seat, it's pretty straightforward, as per the top of this guide:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/173654/1137505.aspx#1137505

or this one which has lots of nice pictures for you:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4167663

(ignoring the parts about rear seats and differences between seat types if you're swapping them). Just remember to disconnect the battery for 30mins before disconnecting the airbag plug under the seat, to avoid getting an airbag warning on your dash which you won't be able to get rid of without diagnostic tools.

• 2 weeks later...
ahhh fixed, the glass had come out of the 2 'holders' it sits in, so after a while stripping the door back etc, managed to drop it back in the slots and it goes up and down now!

My passenger seat is drenched though, how hard is it to take a seat out?

Soggy seat? A wet or dry vacuum cleaner in wet mode will take most of that out. If you insist on removing the seat, they are usually secured with four small bolts or setscrews, that is if you can't slide it off the runners,most have some kind of stop. If that can be removed then it might slide off if there is room.

My Golf V5 is in the garage today. I have had it for 2 whole weeks! And already...

a) The Drivers side window is jammed about 1 inch open.

b) One of the rear doors is stuck shut!

Thank fook for the warranty!

Good job you didn't say anything yesterday otherwise I'd have bored you all to tears discussing it. Unfortunately these are common faults on the older mkiv models, usually due to (a) VW cheapskates originally using lower grade window regulator parts and (b) VW cheapskates not using enough solder on the door-lock electronics.

How long a warranty have they given you? If you like I can plug my laptop in to run a diagnostic scan which might reveal other issues that you haven't noticed yet, so that you can try and get those sorted whilst still under warranty too.

Good job you didn't say anything yesterday otherwise I'd have bored you all to tears discussing it. Unfortunately these are common faults on the older mkiv models, usually due to (a) VW cheapskates originally using lower grade window regulator parts and (b) VW cheapskates not using enough solder on the door-lock electronics.

How long a warranty have they given you? If you like I can plug my laptop in to run a diagnostic scan which might reveal other issues that you haven't noticed yet, so that you can try and get those sorted whilst still under warranty too.

Still in warranty at the moment so yes, if you can plug it in then that will be great!

The door lock electronics are ****ed, the back door still does not work. :-(

These are the important little gems you'll never hear from Top Gear. All they're interested in is, amongst other incredibly serious points... Does my bum look big in this..? Can I get the inside rear wheel to lift in this tight bend..? and lastly... Surely it's worth spending the extra £3,500 to get the sport pack which increases the acceleration to 60 by half a second [but reduces the overall fuel consumption by 5mpg, which they aren't interested in], and you get a chrome plated gear-knob too. Or perhaps that's just knob..?

Oops sorry, went off topic. But I enjoyed it, and I like Top Gear anyway.

You just wait until the doors start locking themselves in cold weather. Especially fun when you've started it up to de-ice the screens and you've nipped back indoors for some warm water...

LOL

Who the **** told me that Golfs were a good car?

The latest trick is again the back door. You open it.... fine.

You then push it close..... and the f*cker just bounces back open again and again as the catch gets stuck open.

Highly amusing for anyone watching. :-(