Pointless F1 Races

Arizona

Any F1 races you just didn't understand why? Races which were never exciting, dull circuit layouts, they weren't hosted in countries where motor sport was that popular and there was no real politic reason to host them.

For me the Austrian and San Marino GPs seemed kind of pointless. I guess that's why they're gone. I still don't see why we have a Hungarian Grand Prix though. I know way back when it was good to have race behind the iron curtain, but I think that's a bit obsolete now.

For being completely overhyped and uneccesary, Valencia. Crap track in a glorified industrial estate in a country with no history of giving a f*ck about F1, they just jumped aboard the Alonso bandwagon.

Some of the various guises of American Grand prix where bloody awful, particularly the 'Ceaser's Palace Grand Prix,' which took place in a car park, which was breaking up due to the heat.

To be honest, there are plenty of dull races in F1, but it's not the fault of the circuits all the time. Although Magny Cours was unexpectedly super dull from the first day it took over from the Paul Ricard circuit for the French Grand Prix. The Canadian Grand Prix at Montreal was never that dull, and that is a big fat foot-up-the-arse job from Bernie Ecclestone there. I loathe the Hungaroring. It's all a modern race circuit is, and consequently has no soul whatsoever. And the racing is as dull as dishwater. Older tracks like Spa Francochamps, Brands Hatch, Monza, and actually Imola [san Marino GP] do have something about them. Even Hockenheim used to be different with its huge long straights, and now they've buggered that up. Variety is the spice, and they're trying to make all the venues similar. Even the old Suzuka track in Japan p!sses all over the replacement they use now [can't be bothered to look it up].

Bring back Brooklands, I say..! ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Valencia's crap too.

Any F1 races you just didn't understand why? Races which were never exciting, dull circuit layouts, they weren't hosted in countries where motor sport was that popular and there was no real politic reason to host them.

For me the Austrian and San Marino GPs seemed kind of pointless. I guess that's why they're gone. I still don't see why we have a Hungarian Grand Prix though. I know way back when it was good to have race behind the iron curtain, but I think that's a bit obsolete now.

San Marino GP was actually held in Italy, which is home to some of the most fanatic GP fans in the world. Ferrari's base at Maranello is less than 50 miles from the Imola circiuit.

HTH.

I know Imola is in Italy, that's part of the reason I don't get it. It's not even that from Monza either. You could probably drive between them in 2 hours. I can't really remember an interesting Imola GP. There was the 2006 race when Alonso kept Schumi behind him, only for ITV to cut to a break with 2 laps left, but that was a small LED in an otherwise dull, if tragic, history.

Monaco is boring, but I wouldn't really class it in this thread as I can sort of see the point. It's all about clamour. A chance for Bernie, Flavio Max, Ron et. al. to hang around in Cassinos with Kate Moss and Brad Pitt. That and the fact that pretty much all the big cheeses and drivers own property there. Means Jack to average Joe Public, but that's why it's there IMO.

Oh yes, and Valencia. I had (understandably I think) forgotten about that.

I actually find Magny Cours exciting on occasions. There is the long straight with the hairpin which generally allows for some decent overtaking. I remember DC overtaking Schumi in 2000 and giving him the finger before going on to win. There was also Frenzen winning a soaked '99 race in a Jordan which crossed the finishing line using fumes.

Monaco is effing pointless as a race and it seems contradictory to keep it on the calendar in this climate of cost-cutting when it costs around a third of a million to keep the race mechanics in hotels near to the circuit, just because of the inflated prices and the fact they have to spend an extra day there because of the stupid Thursday test day.