Wood Washed Ashore

St Landrew

When people were taking cargo from washed up containers in Devon last time, some commentators made an awful lot of fuss about nothing. There was an awful lot of bull about Pikeys and rubbish of that nature. Frankly, if they made use of it, then it was better than letting it go to waste, which would have undoubtedly been the case of a lot of it. The private loss of stuff was just unfortunate.

I doubt if anybody will cut up so rough about this wood, and yet people should dive on it just as quickly:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7845003.stm

When people were taking cargo from washed up containers in Devon last time, some commentators made an awful lot of fuss about nothing. There was an awful lot of bull about Pikeys and rubbish of that nature. Frankly, if they made use of it, then it was better than letting it go to waste, which would have undoubtedly been the case of a lot of it. The private loss of stuff was just unfortunate.

I doubt if anybody will cut up so rough about this wood, and yet people should dive on it just as quickly:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7845003.stm

So if you dropped a £50 note on the floor and someone snatched it before you could pick it up it'd be ok would it? The wood legally belongs to its owners and any attempt to prevent it's return is theft.

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Tonnes-of-timber-washes-ashore-along-coast-newsinkent20013.aspx?news=local

"A timber reporting line has been established by Kent County Council.

Any member of the public sighting washed up timber cargo are asked to call 08458 247247."

That would be Special Branch then

I thank you.

Would that be a trunk call?

Boom boom :D

So if you dropped a £50 note on the floor and someone snatched it before you could pick it up it'd be ok would it? The wood legally belongs to its owners and any attempt to prevent it's return is theft.

Are you suggesting it is an o-fence?

If you are, I suppose you woodn't do it otherwise you'd be barking mad.

I think we need to get to the root of the problem though, that being our societies lack of consideration for others.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

Don't be silly. If I dropped £50 on the floor I'd be able to pick it up, because it would be easily worth my while. If I load my £50 note onto an aircraft, bound for somewhere in the world, and the aircraft does a very bad landing and spills its cargo, and somehow my £50 note gets into someone elses hands, are you telling me that money is sovereign to me..? Come on.. I would hope somebody would find it and put it to good use.

If you're going to test my attitude, at least use a decent scenario. ;)

Don't be silly. If I dropped £50 on the floor I'd be able to pick it up, because it would be easily worth my while. If I load my £50 note onto an aircraft, bound for somewhere in the world, and the aircraft does a very bad landing and spills its cargo, and somehow my £50 note gets into someone elses hands, are you telling me that money is sovereign to me..? Come on.. I would hope somebody would find it and put it to good use.

The similarity, which you're coyly trying to skirt around, is that the dropped £50 and the cargo on the beach quite obviously and provably belong to a specific other party. A £50 note fluttering in the breeze after an air crash clearly isn't the same.

Not if he dropped it at sea.....Under Maritime Law the picker upper would be entitled to keep up to 50% as salvage rights

So anyone taking that timber from the beach should take twice as much as they need and then inform the owners where they can collect the surplus....I think they'll have about a year to do so before the ownership defaults to the salvager

Thats how i remember it from my Merchant Navy days anyway

The similarity, which you're coyly trying to skirt around, is that the dropped £50 and the cargo on the beach quite obviously and provably belong to a specific other party. A £50 note fluttering in the breeze after an air crash clearly isn't the same.

I'm not trying to coyly skirt around anything. What I abhor is waste. And if that wood goes to waste just because it belongs to another who probably won't bother to salvage it, unless instructed to do so, then it can go to someone else who can put it to good use..

Not if he dropped it at sea.....Under Maritime Law the picker upper would be entitled to keep up to 50% as salvage rights

So anyone taking that timber from the beach should take twice as much as they need and then inform the owners where they can collect the surplus....I think they'll have about a year to do so before the ownership defaults to the salvager

George in being wrong shocker! :smt005

Who cares if the cargo belongs to a specific other party, it's on our beaches now and should be put to good use. Pity I didn't live down that way.

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Tonnes-of-timber-washes-ashore-along-coast-newsinkent20013.aspx?news=local

The cargo still belongs to the original owner and Kent Police have warned that any attempts to remove any of what has been washed up will be treated as theft.

Area Commander for East Kent, Chief Supt John Molloy, said people could be putting themselves at risk by venturing onto the shoreline to collect the wood.

“This cargo remains the property of the original owner and to steal it is not only foolhardy, but also a criminal offence."

Sorry but there is literally no debate about it's legality. As for it "going to waste", contractors have been appointed by the insurers to recover the lost cargo. Their intention is to get it all back to the rightful owners. I see no difference between this situation and the £50 example given. They know where it is, they know who it belongs to and they're going back to get it.

Sorry but there is literally no debate about it's legality. As for it "going to waste", contractors have been appointed by the insurers to recover the lost cargo. Their intention is to get it all back to the rightful owners. I see no difference between this situation and the £50 example given. They know where it is, they know who it belongs to and they're going back to get it.

Good.