Mobile Phone contracts/tarriffs

thesaint sfc

I've been with O2 for about 8 years now on various contracts. It ****es me off a bit when you phone them up and they offer you nothing new and no discounts. I've just spoken to them and the lady I spoke to said that they've got a department especially for matching offers from other companies or doing something like that. I've been looking at going onto one of the simplicity contracts where you can get 600 mins, 1000 texts and a bolt on for £19.58 a month. The bolt ons range, but I think I'd go for the extra 200 anytime minutes making it 800 mins and 1000 texts. I know I'm a tight arse because it is a cracking deal.

Has anyone managed to get better deals out of phone service providers, if so, what are the best tactics?

I'm thinking about phoning Vodafone to see what they can offer as an alternative.

Edited by thesaint sfc

Telling O2 you're leaving unless you get what you want is a good tactic... :)

Orange are suckers for it :)

Orange didn't even try to keep us, that's me and Mrs H's 2 contracts! They simply said they were sorry that we were leaving them. And I had been with them ever since my very first mobile about 10 years ago.

Telling O2 you're leaving unless you get what you want is a good tactic... :)

Orange are suckers for it :)

When I agreed to switch to T-Mobile they immediately offered half the rate I was paying to try and keep me. Had they offered me that before I looked around I would have stayed, as it was I was livid.

F*ck 'em.

They are all contract thieves. As they lock you in. If you don't use your mobile too much, just pay as you go IMO.

I am not some texting noddy and I can use other systems such as Skype to call out usually anyway.

I supposedly owe several hundred pounds on a contract to O2 but I have refuted it as they failed to make me aware properly of the cashback issue at point of contract sale (i.e. £30/month but three paybacks over time to reduce it to £25. You have to claim yourself at specified points in the contract duration without reminders from them). That's my story anyway and they seem to have given up on it as I have repeated the story ad finitum to them and taped phone calls. It was a sales scam that will never pass muster in court and they know it.

Edited by TopGun

I was with o2 for years but left them a few months ago for T-Mobile. When I left I phoned them up and told them I was offski and they said they were going to beat any rate I could find anywhere else. Having shopped around I found a decent deal with T Mob and they couldn't touch it, the only decent tariff they could do was on a six month longer contract and paying for the handset. I wanted the N96 so it wasn't worth it so I left.

No matter where you go haggle, when I changed to T-Mobile I went into the shop and told them that Vodafone offered a better tariff but I wanted to join them (which wasn't true) but they knocked some money off!

Also, FWIW I would avoid T-Mobile, the signal and customer service is ****e.

They are all contract thieves. As they lock you in. If you don't use your mobile too much, just pay as you go IMO.

I am not some texting noddy and I can use other systems such as Skype to call out usually anyway.

I supposedly owe several hundred pounds on a contract to O2 but I have refuted it as they failed to make me aware properly of the cashback issue at point of contract sale (i.e. £30/month but three paybacks over time to reduce it to £25. You have to claim yourself at specified points in the contract duration without reminders from them). That's my story anyway and they seem to have given up on it as I have repeated the story ad finitum to them and taped phone calls. It was a sales scam that will never pass muster in court and they know it.

The simplicity contract I was talking about is a 30 day contract! I think I'm just being a tight arse :)

Not my experience, but it can vary person to person, fair play.

In my area no one uses T-mobile because it is rubbish signal wise.

It amazes me that Orange haven't gone bust as I don't know anyone with Orange who doesn't think their signal is crap and that they're ridiculously expensive.

I was with o2 for years but left them a few months ago for T-Mobile. When I left I phoned them up and told them I was offski and they said they were going to beat any rate I could find anywhere else. Having shopped around I found a decent deal with T Mob and they couldn't touch it, the only decent tariff they could do was on a six month longer contract and paying for the handset. I wanted the N96 so it wasn't worth it so I left.

No matter where you go haggle, when I changed to T-Mobile I went into the shop and told them that Vodafone offered a better tariff but I wanted to join them (which wasn't true) but they knocked some money off!

Also, FWIW I would avoid T-Mobile, the signal and customer service is ****e.

Been with them for 6 years and can't reccomend them highly enough. Dirt cheap contracts and decent internet. Also never had a problem with signal although I admit it is not as strong as O2.

I've just changed to the simplicity contract with O2. The 1000 text and 800 minutes (including the 200 bolt on) for just under £20pm. I have just come off my 18 month contract with them and this was the only way I was going to stay with them because although they're good for somethings, providing a working handset is certainly not one of them. Anyway, on this contract you can get some extras too, you call 2211 (i think, you might want to check the number) and the automated person gives you a list of what you can choose from. Extra minutes or texts in various forms I assume. I haven't chosen one yet.

When my dad called O2 last year to canx his contract, they said that he could have the same contract package - for free! Needless to say, he stayed with them.

I called Orange the other day, and without quibble, they reduced my contract by £23 per month, for the same deal - unlimited texts and 1000 minutes. now only £22 per month.