23-8-08 (Posted on a Pompey Messageboard)

PES

Saintmirac Posted on 23/08/2008 17:25

23-8-08

Remember this day at Pride Park the team that is going to dominate football in Great Britian for the next fifty years was born.All hail the mighty SAINTS.

23-8-08

Remember this day at Pride Park the team that is going to dominate football in Great Britian for the next fifty years was born.All hail the mighty SAINTS.

Yeah, both forums get idiots posting from opposite teams, know what I mean?

If nothing else,he is an optimist.

It sounded like a really good performance from Saints. But some of the reactions from Fans on the main forum is laughable. I mean they're are talking about beating a side 1-0 who have not won a game at home in recent memory.

I do actually admire what Saints are trying to do with little or no money but as things stand any player who shows any promise in the first half of the season is going to be bought by the more affluent teams in your division and the premiership.

I understand the pride that Saints fans must feel in the young talent that has come through its academy and I look forward to the time in the next few years when a homegrown pompey player comes through our fledgling academy, but I think the reaction to one good result against a team who has completely lost the plot like Derby is way OTT.

Edited by PES

It sounded like a really good performance from Saints. But some of the reactions from Fans on the main forum is laughable. I mean they're are talking about beating a side 1-0 who have not won a game at home in recent memory.

I do actually admire what Saints are trying to do with little or no money but as things stand any player who shows any promise in the first half of the season is going to be bought by the more affluent teams in your division and the premiership.

I understand the pride that Saints fans must feel in the young talent that has come through its academy and I look forward to the time in the next few years when a homegrown pompey player comes through our fledgling academy, but I think the reaction to one good result against a team who has completely lost the plot like Derby is way OTT.

I think the difference is about attitude. For the last few seasons we have played nodding donkeys after a final payday. These kids look eager to learn and play and it's a breath of fresh air for us long suffering fans (especially ones who recall the Steve Williams, Steve Moran and Danny Wallace homegrown talent. Not forgetting MLT and Shearer of course).

It's also really nice to have a manager who is a bit different and not as jaded as many of the others in the game. It looks like we will have a fun season PES.

I think the difference is about attitude. For the last few seasons we have played nodding donkeys after a final payday. These kids look eager to learn and play and it's a breath of fresh air for us long suffering fans (especially ones who recall the Steve Williams, Steve Moran and Danny Wallace homegrown talent. Not forgetting MLT and Shearer of course).

It's also really nice to have a manager who is a bit different and not as jaded as many of the others in the game. It looks like we will have a fun season PES.

This is absolutely Honest, d'you know who has had Pompey playing the best football I've seen IMO? Alain Perrin. Not many Pompey fans will agree with that statement, I wont bother justifying it. Redknapp is capable of attracting top players and has been backed by Mr. Gaydamak, so tactical and style comparisons between the managers two teams are unfair. Perrin had inferior players to Redknapp yet the way he had them playing was lightyears ahead of Redknapp. It's just a shame the players did not have the same quality. I can see early similarities in the two set-ups and their european styles of coaching and play. Lets hope for saints sake Lowe does not treat JP like Mandaric treated Perrin?

This is absolutely Honest, d'you know who has had Pompey playing the best football I've seen IMO? Alain Perrin. Not many Pompey fans will agree with that statement, I wont bother justifying it. Redknapp is capable of attracting top players and has been backed by Mr. Gaydamak, so tactical and style comparisons between the managers two teams are unfair. Perrin had inferior players to Redknapp yet the way he had them playing was lightyears ahead of Redknapp. It's just a shame the players did not have the same quality. I can see early similarities in the two set-ups and their european styles of coaching and play. Lets hope for saints sake Lowe does not treat JP like Mandaric treated Perrin?

Fair points. I always thought Perrin was unfairly treated a bit because although he is a journeyman he has had unrated teams punching above their weights quite often. He was linked with Saints too at one time.

I think JP is quite secure at the moment as he is Lowe's odd gamble. If he does too well and Saints become marketable again then he may be his own undoing of course!

23-8-08

What a penis. We will dominate Europe for the next fifty years, clearly. Just need to beat Blackpool next week.

23-8-08

...couldn't have been all the work of some mischievious little skate then? Nah, course not...

Fair points. I always thought Perrin was unfairly treated a bit because although he is a journeyman he has had unrated teams punching above their weights quite often. He was linked with Saints too at one time.

I think JP is quite secure at the moment as he is Lowe's odd gamble. If he does too well and Saints become marketable again then he may be his own undoing of course!

Perrin was treated shockingly. The story the press wanted was Redknapp leaves Pompey and goes to Saints because of stupid meddling foreign owner, Pompey are stuffed, super Harry Redknapp saves Pompey. As we all know it never turned out like that. Even the fans never blamed him, except those who believe everything they read in the press. I was mightily impressed with what he coached out of a load of rubbish. I do rate Redknapp, but he is vastly overrated and a decent man like Alain Perrin was tactically and as a coach head and shoulders above Redknapp. I do think your JP looks very promising.

To be fair, you did not see the game, we didn't jst beat them 1-0, we never looked like losing and played some of the best football that many people can remember.

Yes Derby haven't won for yonks, don't let the fact that all bar 2 of them games were in the Premiership ruin it though eh?

We have play some really good football all season and pre-season, we have the support of the bank until at least the end of the season, if we are near the play-offs at Christmas ( which I strongly believe we will be ) then nobody will be leaving.

We played Birmingham last night, an almost full strength Birmingham team who are top of the league and hot favourites to win this division.... again, we completely played them off the park.

Exciting times to be a Saints fan, having said that, unless we are promised investment then I don't want to go up to the Premiership to be the whipping boys.

We do though, have every right to be very very excited about out this season.

I can only think you are on drugs. This is the same Perrin who preferred to play Vignal rather than Taylor at left back and Andy O'Brian in central defence rather than Linvoy Primus. If the team was playing such great football how come we couldn't win a home game against the weaker sides before harry came back and how come Perrin's captain went to Milan and asked for Perrin to be sacked? At Lyon the players nick name for perrin was 'gone before Christmas.' At the end of our first home game of the season the person next to me said, there was no hope while Perrin was manager, we would be relegated and our football was so bad we'd have difficulty in staying in the championship. Whilst you can argue about who did the signings what is true is that not a single one of them was any good, whilst the players that left were class e.g. Berger, Stone, Yak

I can only think you are on drugs. This is the same Perrin who preferred to play Vignal rather than Taylor at left back and Andy O'Brian in central defence rather than Linvoy Primus. If the team was playing such great football how come we couldn't win a home game against the weaker sides before harry came back and how come Perrin's captain went to Milan and asked for Perrin to be sacked? At Lyon the players nick name for perrin was 'gone before Christmas.' At the end of our first home game of the season the person next to me said, there was no hope while Perrin was manager, we would be relegated and our football was so bad we'd have difficulty in staying in the championship. Whilst you can argue about who did the signings what is true is that not a single one of them was any good, whilst the players that left were class e.g. Berger, Stone, Yak
It's good to see you Skates showing unity. Im siding with PES,as he's the voice of reason.

To be fair, you did not see the game, we didn't jst beat them 1-0, we never looked like losing and played some of the best football that many people can remember.

Yes Derby haven't won for yonks, don't let the fact that all bar 2 of them games were in the Premiership ruin it though eh?

We have play some really good football all season and pre-season, we have the support of the bank until at least the end of the season, if we are near the play-offs at Christmas ( which I strongly believe we will be ) then nobody will be leaving.

We played Birmingham last night, an almost full strength Birmingham team who are top of the league and hot favourites to win this division.... again, we completely played them off the park.

Exciting times to be a Saints fan, having said that, unless we are promised investment then I don't want to go up to the Premiership to be the whipping boys.

Very well said SRS. Shame you have only 2 more posts today. The good thing you not registering is that if you did the simpleton would have to rejoin to try and debate attendances etc.So all in all you are doing us a favour not being a member.Thanks Stu

Nice to see pompey fans at loggerheads with each other on a saints forum :D

I never said Perrin was the best manager ever or anything, I was just comparing the two set ups. Perrin did well with what he had. He may of felt that Taylor had a bad attitude, I dont know? He was a good coach and has gone on to coach again at a higher level. You may think I'm on drugs, fine thats your opinion. However I feel that his coaching was superior to Redknapp's and Perrin also made tactical changes that altered the course of a game, when was the last time Redknapp did that? If you ask me who I'd rather have, I'd say Redknapp, but all the things you accuse Perrin of were not his doing, except his being unpopular with some players, Perrin was a disciplinarian and like Christian Gross and similar continental types, it does not go down well with the pampered premiership players.

It's good to see you Skates showing unity. Im siding with PES,as he's the voice of reason.

Well if you can't reason, then as far as i'm concerned you might as well be an animal, the ability to reason is one of the only things that sets us apart from other creatures (oh, and indexible thumbs). :D

Your right I have not seen any of the games, I'm gonna get a good look this Saturday when you play Blackpool, I'm interested to see for myself what all the excitement is about. I just found it funny how in the space of 90 minutes the majority on this board went from wrist slashing mode to conquerors of the universe after the 1-0 Derby result. :)

Your right I have not seen any of the games, I'm gonna get a good look this Saturday when you play Blackpool, I'm interested to see for myself what all the excitement is about. I just found it funny how in the space of 90 minutes the majority on this board went from wrist slashing mode to conquerors of the universe after the 1-0 Derby result. :)

We have played well in every single match so far this season and pre-season, I have been confident that we would do well since I saw us play West Ham.

I think we will be in a play-off position by the end of the season, and may even suprise a few people. For example, we have played Birmingham twice this season, in both games we outplayed them.

The players have adopted a new system which has taken them a couple of competitive games to get used to, now they are all clicking, it is some of the best football that has probably been played in this division for some time.

The thing I find funny is the lazy journalists, notably NOTW who had us tipped to finish bottom, on the basis of us playing a young team. If they had done their research then they would have noticed that these kids have played together for years, and won almost everything along the way, FA Youth Cup Finals, Academy Leagues, Reserve Leagues etc, there was never any danger of us finishing anywhere near the relegation zone.

I would happily put a bet on with you that we will finish higher than you in our respective divisions.

I would happily put a bet on with you that we will finish higher than you in our respective divisions.

Thanks for the offer Stu, but i'll keep my hands in my pockets for now. I'm looking forward to settling down with a cup of tea and bickies Saturday lunchtime and seeing what all the fuss is about. I think maybe your bet could be a close run thing. I'm tipping Pompey for between 10-12th place, like you say I aint seen Southampton so I can't fairly comment on them yet. :)

Now I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, but seeing as I can't start threads of my own, I thought I'd post it here.

Has anyone else seen the latsest advert for Portsmouth on a billboard at Winchester Station? :rolleyes:

portsmouth_dockyard.jpg

Lol :D I wonder how long it will be before the local Artists ad to that billboard:smt033

(looks like hes getting a lot of history)

Took the time to watch the Blackpool match. Quite impressed with some of the Youngsters. Especially Lallana, he looks like he's gonna be quality! Your keeper was in fine form too. However the 1-0 result against an attrocious Derby side is not the game to form your outlook for the entire season.

A disappointing result for you guys, but obviously lots to be positives to take. Just dont think i'll be worrying about a Saints return to the top jus yet. :)

Took the time to watch the Blackpool match. Quite impressed with some of the Youngsters. Especially Lallana, he looks like he's gonna be quality! Your keeper was in fine form too. However the 1-0 result against an attrocious Derby side is not the game to form your outlook for the entire season.

A disappointing result for you guys, but obviously lots to be positives to take. Just dont think i'll be worrying about a Saints return to the top jus yet. :)

Fair point PES, good luck with Everton ;) (not *)

'cept atleast the ones which post on a skate board (presuming it wasnt a skate trying to muddle) dont have to pay £5 to post.

Would tend to indicate Skates who register to here are even bigger Mugs!

Why am I and other Pompey fans mugs? I enjoy intereacting with rival fans on here, it's good fun and I genuinely like most of the posters on here. I lived in Bishopstoke and worked in Hamble, I enjoy the banter on here in the same way i enjoyed the banter back then. So what if I paid £5? a fiver which over the course of the year will be money well spent IMO.