Euthanasia for dogs

PompeyLass

Does anyone have any experience of having their dog put to sleep, especially at home ? I've read on our vets website that they will come to the house to do it but just wanted to see what happens if they do.

It's time for our dog to go to doggie heaven (she's 17 & has recently stopped eating & is becoming incontinent) :(

Does anyone have any experience of having their dog put to sleep, especially at home ? I've read on our vets website that they will come to the house to do it but just wanted to see what happens if they do.

It's time for our dog to go to doggie heaven (she's 17 & has recently stopped eating & is becoming incontinent) :(

my friend had her 19 yr old cat put to sleep at home.

she said it was a tremendously emotional thing to do, but having her at home,in her environment, was "the best thing she could've done for her".

if i remember rightly, the vet came to her house and gave them as much time as they needed to say goodbye, and then gave her cat the injection and she drifted off.....it ,obviously, cost a lot more than having it done at the vets surgey, but she reckoned it was well worth it just to have her at home....

(oh, dear , im sat her balling now.....it's a year ago today that had to have my cat put to sleep):cry:

not great timing for this thread PL!! ;) :)

We, over the years, have had three dogs "put to sleep" at the end of their lives. It is a very traumatic exprience. I personally prefer to have the deed done at the vets with a chance to say "Goodbye" before hand. Most vets will give you the option to take the animal home to bury in your garden if you wish or have them cremated. As a family of dog lovers, we really feel for anyone going through this. As our current dog (a black lab) is only 18 months old I hope that we won`t be going through it again for many years.

We had our cat put down at the vets' surgery. She had lymphoma and was quite old.

I have to say I've never cried as much as I did when she drifted off. She was looking at me with those beautiful green eyes and I was able to stroke her until she died.

Mr TF couldn't cope with seeing it and had to go outside.

I think I cried for about two days. We've still got her son and he's healthy but very old now. I don't think I can witness another euthanasia when it's time for him to go.

We had our cat put down at the vets' surgery. She had lymphoma and was quite old.

I have to say I've never cried as much as I did when she drifted off. She was looking at me with those beautiful green eyes and I was able to stroke her until she died.

Mr TF couldn't cope with seeing it and had to go outside.

I think I cried for about two days. We've still got her son and he's healthy but very old now. I don't think I can witness another euthanasia when it's time for him to go.

altho my husband and i were no longer together when i had my cat put to sleep, he said that he could never have been there to witness it either.

i , however HAD to be there with him .there is no way that i wanted him to drift off without me there..it was the hardest thing i have ever had to do, but i would not have had it any other way..........i'm signing off now, before i flood the kitchen!!!:smt089

My wife's a vet and is actually considering starting up a service of just doing this. She is a dog lover herself and was talking about the fact that dogs can smell disease such as cancer and can also smell death very clearly. Most vet clinics, at least here, put the animals down in a room especially for this. That room has a hatch in the floor where the body is put afterwards, sealed in a bag. I can only imagine what that room must smell like to a dog, that knows it is sick. Compare that to being at home surrounded by familiar people and smells.

My mum recently had her cat put down at home, called the vet out and he and a nurse came over. It was a good thing that the cat was in her environment sat on her chair when she went, however I footed the bill and it was £280.00 - that included having the cat cremated and the ashes being put in a little hand made box with the cats name engraved on a plaque on the outside of the box.

I've been blubbing all morning. I can't do anything until my parents get home later tonight. My mum has been putting it off for the last week but it's getting to the stage now where it's time for her to go. She has bits of poo stuck to her fur where she had an accident this morning but she won't let me go anywhere near her, she's just sat in her basket looking at me with really sad eyes. :smt089:smt022

Not looking forward to this at all, we've had her since she was 9 weeks old & we got her from the RSPCA. I wonder if her brother & sister have lasted as long as this.

I've been blubbing all morning. I can't do anything until my parents get home later tonight. My mum has been putting it off for the last week but it's getting to the stage now where it's time for her to go. She has bits of poo stuck to her fur where she had an accident this morning but she won't let me go anywhere near her, she's just sat in her basket looking at me with really sad eyes. :smt089:smt022

Not looking forward to this at all, we've had her since she was 9 weeks old & we got her from the RSPCA. I wonder if her brother & sister have lasted as long as this.

Sorry to hear this, its absolutely the most horrible thing in the world! :(

PL - do your vets provide an out of hours service, you may want to call them and forewarn them that you might be calling tonight. Sounds like it is time for her to go though mate.

Yeah they do. Think it'll be best for my dad to do it as I don't think I can.

I hate this :(

Yeah they do. Think it'll be best for my dad to do it as I don't think I can.

I hate this :(

If your parents aren't back til later tonight, I would get it sorted yourself Vicki, best put her out of her misery as the reason she won't let you near her is because she is embarassed about the accidents she is having etc, poor thing. I am no vet, just going by what the vet said to my mum when her cat was out down a few weeks ago.

Its gut wrenching Vicky they seem to know whats going down:(

Dad said to me when i was a kid,,(Don't have pets if you cant say good by)

Our family have found a way to make the loss easy Get a puppy of exactly the same breed;)

This what we do. We found that our latest dog is (coincidently) a quite close relative of the one we lost. This made for nice continuation. I just can`t imagine my life without a labrador in the house.

Its gut wrenching Vicky they seem to know whats going down:(

Dad said to me when i was a kid,,(Don't have pets if you cant say good by)

Our family have found a way to make the loss easy Get a puppy of exactly the same breed;)

i would second this ,PL... but maybe not necessarily the same breed however. 13 years ago we had to have our dog put to sleep, and altho i absolutely LOVE the breed (black lab) i don't think i can bring myself to have a nother one, coz i know that everything they did, and their mannerisms etc, would remind me of my other dog...

i know it is probably the LAST thing on your mind atm, but it can be a great healer....don't think of it as a replacement, more of something that will fill the void...

i really feel for you Vicky,i truly do.....this is a tremendously difficult thing to deal with, but every time i have lost a much loved family pet, i always console myself with the thought that they had a great life, in a family that loved them dearly....what more could they have wished for,eh.....

i hope you get things sorted soon. i know from experience how hard it is to watch an animal you love so much suffer ...

and i know how hard it is to make the decision to end that suffering.

good luck to you hun x

(oh god, i'm off again!!):cry:

Took Scampi to the vet this morning & he had a look & said that it's time for her to go, mentioned that he could pump her full of steriods to give her another couple of days but we didn't want that. It was very weird as she seemed to know what was happening & didn't struggle (like she normally did when at the vets & being examined). She was given the injection & gone in a few minutes. Haven't cried my eyes out like that since I lost Gary last year !!!!!!!

Got home a few hours ago & it feels really weird, keep expecting to turn round & see her there. :(

Took Scampi to the vet this morning & he had a look & said that it's time for her to go, mentioned that he could pump her full of steriods to give her another couple of days but we didn't want that. It was very weird as she seemed to know what was happening & didn't struggle (like she normally did when at the vets & being examined). She was given the injection & gone in a few minutes. Haven't cried my eyes out like that since I lost Gary last year !!!!!!!

Got home a few hours ago & it feels really weird, keep expecting to turn round & see her there. :(

PL, sorry to hear about Scampi. I know how you feel as I had to take my dog a few years back to put down (he was 13) The worse feeling ever but it was for the best.

really sorry to hear this.....hope you and the rest of the family are coping ok.

it took me ages to get used to not seeing my cat wandering around..... i used to see things out of the corner of my eye n for a split second think it was him :(..that wasn't nice :(

it does get easier tho....

all the best hun

Our big bruiser of a cat Barney died a year ago age 12, with cancer. He was a big ginger tom (about 6kgs) and fought hard to protect his territory, unfortunately he developed a problem which took a lot of visits to the vets to try to get to the problem. The end result was he went into surgery and never came out, difficult to say goodbye to a member of your family when this happens. He was my best mate.

you always get one d1ckhead,don't ya!!!!!!!:mad:

You certainly do.

Already blubbed this morning when asked how my weekend was !!! It was horrible this morning as I went to check her water bowl was full, only for it not to be on the floor, also as I went out the doorI flicked the radio on for her ! Madness.

I am a great believer in euthanasia for dogs; in fact, I am a great believer in euthanasia for all domestic pets, no matter how ill (or otherwise) they are. There is something odd about people who choose to keep animals in their home imo.

With time things will get better have had to have 3 dogs and 1 cat put to sleep over the years it's not easy but you never want to see them suffer.Give it some time and you will start remembering all the good times you had with them.

I am a great believer in euthanasia for dogs; in fact, I am a great believer in euthanasia for all domestic pets, no matter how ill (or otherwise) they are. There is something odd about people who choose to keep animals in their home imo.

Never mind, there are plenty of people out there who aren't quite as 'advanced' in their mentality as you, and can still appreciate the benefits of owning pets. You never know though, maybe one day, we'll all conform to the Essruu way of thinking.

fwiw this is the one thing about owning pets that fills me with the most dread, having to make that decision. We've come close a couple of times, but thanks to a great vet and patience (desperation?) we've managed to get away with it!

I had a cat called Emma who had to be put to sleep. She had liver failure and was in a bad way. She just purred at the vets as though she knew what was happening and was saying thank you for a good life!

I think that this is probably right. I certainly got the impression near the end that the dogs that we have had to have put down knew that the end was near and were prepared for it and accepted it. They had had enough..

Never mind, there are plenty of people out there who aren't quite as 'advanced' in their mentality as you, and can still appreciate the benefits of owning pets. You never know though, maybe one day, we'll all conform to the Essruu way of thinking.

fwiw this is the one thing about owning pets that fills me with the most dread, having to make that decision. We've come close a couple of times, but thanks to a great vet and patience (desperation?) we've managed to get away with it!

Too right Barfy, why worry about a pet when you can go cream your pants over the latest fool's gold from Apple? That's our Essruu for you, all style and no substance.

you always get one d1ckhead,don't ya!!!!!!!:mad:

looks like i was wrong about there always being 1 d1ckhead!!!:smt011