Hampshires team for opening fixtures

Weston Saint

With the comment from White that North will be used as an all rounder batting between Crawley and Lumb here is my suggested order for the start of the season

Michael Carberry

Jimmy Adams

John Crawley

Marcus North

Michael Lumb

Nick Pothas

Sean Ervine

Liam Dawson

Dominic Cork

Chris Tremlett

James Tomlinson

Hard luck on Chris Benham but Ervine is likely to take the "all rounder" spot until Dimi returns. If Benham bats well in the seconds he will come into contention for Ervines place when Dimi returns, in my opinion.

We are unlikely to see Pietersen early on due to his probable IPL appearances and then straight into the England set up.

Looks a strong side

Edited by Weston Saint
repromoting Chris above his dad

Hard luck on Chris Benham but Ervine is likely to take the "all rounder" spot until Dimi returns. If Benham bats well in the seconds he will come into contention for Ervines place when Dimi returns, in my opinion.

Looks a strong side

Only hard luck in as much as any one of three of four underperforming batsmen could be dropped. Quick check through last years averages:

Pothas - 53.50

Benham - 28.76

Crawley - 27.73

Ervine - 27.95

Adams - 17.16

Carberry - 28.60

Lumb - 32.72

Dimi - 30.59

Brown - 40.86

It's a wonder that we finished so high in both competitions, although worryingly, with some consistent batting we might have been in with a shout of winning. Would agree with your line up, although Adams would be in only because there really isn't anyone else. It's a shame Michael Brown has gone as it leaves our top order looking like it needs some steadying, but if Crawley and Carberry both find form early on we might have a good season.

Apparently Dominic Cork is possibly going to play in the IPL (read in a couple of places that Udal is in the auction as well). Will be a bit annoying if Cork gets signed as I'm fairly certain one of the main points of his signing was to cover for Dimi while he's away!

Yep, Cork is in the auction -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7855464.stm

He is one of about 150 players chasing 60 places so I'd think it's unlikely he'll end up in the IPL.

Fairly unsurprisingly, Cork didn't make the cut so will be available for us at the start of the season. Only English players are Pietersen, Flintoff, Collingwood, Shah, Bopara, Wright and Patel.

• 2 months later...