VT quit shipbuilding

Master Bates

Not a surprise really. They had quit in reality anyway as where are the ships to be built? All the Type 45s ended up elsewhere and there are no plans for the RN to replace Type 23s or mine vessels. Foreign navies are buying second hand or ordering from cheaper shipyards in the far east.

what is bad is when the government award chunks (and big chunks) of the contract to build the new super carriers to a french company (i think)...

I guess you mean Thales who are working with BAE to construct the carriers. Thales are a multi-national defence concern these days with plenty of UK operations. Though I believe the French govt still part owns them. Most of the construction will be BAE (or BVT as now called).

The new Type 45 Destroyers are state of the art though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7848174.stm

Replacing the Type 42s - some of which were built at VT Woolston - HMS Southampton, Manchester & Nottingham. The 42s are too good for scrapping so I guess they'll be offered to Australia, NZ, India, Chile and so on.

When I was a sea scout I used to canoe up alongside the Type 42s all the time as they were being fitted out beneath the Itchen Bridge. Good thing I wasn't a terrorist with a limpet mine or two!

Edited by TopGun

he type 45 are late...the astute class subs are farking late...

my mate is on HMS Astute and the word on the street is that HMS Ambush willbe ready before hand and there is a good chance THAT will be renamed HMS Astute to cover up the embarassment..

one thing..if these new 45's and Astutes do what they say they will be some serious bits of kit..

what is bad is when the government award chunks (and big chunks) of the contract to build the new super carriers to a french company (i think)...

The Thales link is purely on the design side as the French have joined forces in this area so they can build their own versions. The build will be 100% in the UK, some of it in Portsmouth. VT's exit is good news in my opinion and shouldn't negatively impact shipbuilding on the south coast - the opposite is more likely.

he type 45 are late...the astute class subs are farking late...

my mate is on HMS Astute and the word on the street is that HMS Ambush willbe ready before hand and there is a good chance THAT will be renamed HMS Astute to cover up the embarassment..

one thing..if these new 45's and Astutes do what they say they will be some serious bits of kit..

I don't think a major vessel that is first in its class has been delivered on time and without problems since WWII. Just the nature of the beast.