John Martyn RIP

St Landrew

Saw him at Glastonbury a few years back, packed out the tent he was in and they were queueing 10M. outside the tent! Very popular with the crusties and hippies and lived life to the max. Solid Air will feature on my iPod over the next few days:(

There are songs here if you click on the link.

http://www.johnmartyn.com/?location=/web/Multimedia

Edited by swannymere

That's very sad news. He put out lots of excellent albums - his peak was probably in the 70s with Bless The Weather, Solid Air and Inside Out.

He started out as a folkie singer-songwriter type. And got more interesting as he incorporated more blues and jazz elements into his sound.

He also released two fine albums with his former-wife Beverley: Road To Ruin and Stormbringer.

When I get home tonight I'll have to listen to Solid Air.

R.I.P.

No disrespect meant and sorry that he died but I have never heard of him.

Eric Clapton covered his song "May You Never on" Slowhand.

Martyn worked a lot with bassist Danny Thompson. He has a distinctive slurry vocal style. And he developed an original acoustic guitar sound by playing through a fuzzbox, phase-shifter, and Echoplex.

Absolutely no excuse at all. There are people of 18 who have heard of John Martyn. :D

Hey, I have seen Steeleye Span and Jethro Tull (both when I was 21) in concert and have a love for my Dad's era of music but have never heard of this guy? I also like The Who, Fleetwood Mac and alike so please don't judge me!

Hey, I have seen Steeleye Span and Jethro Tull (both when I was 21) in concert and have a love for my Dad's era of music but have never heard of this guy? I also like The Who, Fleetwood Mac and alike so please don't judge me!

Fair play, I saw Jethro Tull at the old Riverside club in Woolston.

Well now you know who he was, why not investigate..? John Martyn's music was always an experience.

There's plenty of people who hadn't a clue who Nick Drake was until many years after he died, and now he's practically a cult figure. Check these people out. Just because they made music in the past doesn't mean they're suddenly off the menu.