The Official Super Bowl Thread

bungle

Hurrah! Time for the biggest, best (and often most pointless!) sporting event of the year.

I see the BBC have plumped for the American commentary this year (Al Michaels and John Madden), so I may watch that rather than Sky.

Goodness knows how the Cardinals have made it to the big game. I bet against them last week, so perhaps I should have learnt my lesson, but I am going to back the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Hurrah! Time for the biggest, best (and often most pointless!) sporting event of the year.

I see the BBC have plumped for the American commentary this year (Al Michaels and John Madden), so I may watch that rather than Sky.

Goodness knows how the Cardinals have made it to the big game. I bet against them last week, so perhaps I should have learnt my lesson, but I am going to back the Pittsburgh Steelers.

American commentary or not, it'll be aimed at people who've never watched a game before and need the basics explained after every play. I reckon I'll stick with Sky.

The result's too tight to call but I hope the Cardinals get it, just for the novelty.

American commentary or not, it'll be aimed at people who've never watched a game before and need the basics explained after every play. I reckon I'll stick with Sky.

The result's too tight to call but I hope the Cardinals get it, just for the novelty.

steelers will have too much game for them surely? too strong in all departments...steelers by 13.....

steelers will have too much game for them surely? too strong in all departments...steelers by 13.....

TBF I've thought that about pretty much every team they've faced, certainly in the post-season. Yet somehow they're in the Superbowl. On that basis, too tight to call :)

As a Cleveland Browns fan it pains me to say it, but the Stoolers will win by 21-9. Cant see Cardinals having any joy with the Stoolers Defence, which is quite frankly, awesome. :(

As an aside does anyone have an 'Approach' to watching the Superbowl? For example, my wife and I always go to bed about 6PM Superbowl Sunday, get up at 11PM and eat Chilli Tex Mex, Nacho's and a few Cans before going back to bed for 2 hours or so before getting up for work at around 6.30AM, I love The Superbowl and pity anyone who can't bring themselves to enjoy it. I can't wait! :D:smt054:D

I doubt it'll be as good as last years one - although that may be biase speaking as I follow Giants ;)

Really looking forward to this one though.

I agree, last years was a bit special, made even better by the fact I backed the Giants Each way at 33/1 going into the play-offs, I even resisted the temptation to lay off a sum on the Patriots in the Superbowl game! By comparison my bets this year were pathetic. At various stages of the season I backed the Cowboys and the Colts,what a *****. :mad:

As a Cleveland Browns fan it pains me to say it, but the Stoolers will win by 21-9. Cant see Cardinals having any joy with the Stoolers Defence, which is quite frankly, awesome. :(

As an aside does anyone have an 'Approach' to watching the Superbowl? For example, my wife and I always go to bed about 6PM Superbowl Sunday, get up at 11PM and eat Chilli Tex Mex, Nacho's and a few Cans before going back to bed for 2 hours or so before getting up for work at around 6.30AM, I love The Superbowl and pity anyone who can't bring themselves to enjoy it. I can't wait! :D:smt054:D

Every year I sit down to watch it with my mate, Jonny. We alternate ale and coffee and try to push through until morning. Every year he falls asleep during the halftime show and then wakes up at the end, pretending to have seen it all. This is our 'approach'. I have seen all the Superbowls since about '98 in this manner. He has seen exactly half.

The proper commentary will be good, and actually I like Mike Carlson and Ron Woodson, so I might give it a go this year. Usually always stick with Sky.

I would rather 'got down with it. with a homeless whore from deepest darkest africa than watch the superbowl

Before I moved to the US, I would have agreed with you but it is a great occasion, fun to watch even though I still don't understand much of what happens and sometimes the commentators might as well be speaking Greek.

Over here, no one watches it alone - Super Bowl parties are everywhere. For many it is the one NFL game they will watch all year. Tons of food, loads of beer.

The only time my local team, the Falcons, made it to the SB, I was visiting family in England so had to stay awake into the wee hours to see them stomped on by the Broncos.

Steelers this time.

Well I've backed Arizona at 6/1 and will not sell the bet.

v Atlanta - no chance

@ Carolina - even less of a chance

v Eagles - Eagles were favs

Final outcome? Arizona are in the Superbowl.

Of the all the post-season games Arizona have looked the best. Forget that they haven't got to the Superbowl for a 'million years' they are there on genuine merit.

You can currently get over 2/1 on them winning it. You will definitely get a run for your money.

Talking of betting - have you seen just how many things you can bet on to do with this game? Distance of 1st punt? Yardage of 1st penalty flag? You name it - you can bet on it!

A tip for next season. Denver Broncos. Currently priced at 33/1. You heard it here first.

When are the Raiders gonna get good again?

They were always "my team" going back to the days of Marcus Allen, but they've been awful for years now.

You'd have thought with the draft system they'd have had a decent spell in the last 15 years, but they're always crap.

I'm not a big fan by the way, used to watch it a lot a few years ago (first Super Bowl I watched was Bears-v-Patriots,XX), but am just curious.

They were always "my team" going back to the days of Marcus Allen, but they've been awful for years now.

You'd have thought with the draft system they'd have had a decent spell in the last 15 years, but they're always crap.

I'm not a big fan by the way, used to watch it a lot a few years ago (first Super Bowl I watched was Bears-v-Patriots,XX), but am just curious.

That was my first Superbowl too! Sh*t team the Raiders, but very cool colours! :)

That was my first Superbowl too! Sh*t team the Raiders, but very cool colours! :)

I think it was the silver and black that I liked too.

And the cool bloke on their helmet(oo-er) with the eye-patch!

Think it was 1985 or 86; 46-10 Bears and William 'The Refridgerator" Perry scored, but one of the best running backs of all-time, Walter Payton (sp?) didn't.

For a few years in the late 80s I was more into the American Football than good old Association Football, but not watched it properly for a few years now.

not till their current owner realises he cannot coach the team

Hoping the Cardinals win, as a former Miami resident they have a lot of players who came from Univ. Miami and are local. I also dont like that goon who plays for the steelers with the hawaiian last name and ghey hair. Plus would love to see Warner lift that trophy!

Stupid f****n game anyway.

Couldn't believe it at the end. Arizona somehow got themselves into pole position and now it's 'just stop em getting into field goal range'.

Naah - f**** that, just give em a touchdown instead.

Unbelievable.

Broncos v Saints Superbowl this time next year. Guaranteed!

Stupid f****n game anyway.

Couldn't believe it at the end. Arizona somehow got themselves into pole position and now it's 'just stop em getting into field goal range'.

Naah - f**** that, just give em a touchdown instead.

Unbelievable.

Broncos v Saints Superbowl this time next year. Guaranteed!

That sucks Rut, it really does.