Laura Robson.

saint lard

Apparently she'll become world number 1 if she wins.

Good to have a promising female prospect, and at least she'll want England to win the football World Cup...

Good luck to her.

Andy Murray was joking...

Taking the **** out of the whole scotland media thing. Why can't people see this?! He actually expressed dissapointment when England went out of the world cup.

Edited by Saintandy666

Andy Murray was joking...

Taking the **** out of the whole scotland media thing. Why can't people see this?! He actually expressed dissapointed when England went out of the world cup.

I don't like Murray because I think most of his tennis is too negative. Absolutely nothing like watching Federer and Nadal (and as of today Verdasco!)

Firstly, I'd like to say Laura Robson is even less english than Murray. She's Australian.

But, I'm more than happy to adopt her as a British player, and think she has a good career ahead of her. After all, we all know what happened to the last British girl that won the Wimbledon and Australian open girls singles don't we? That's right, Annabel Croft became arguably the second greatest ever presenter of Treasure Hunt.

I don't like Murray because I think most of his tennis is too negative. Absolutely nothing like watching Federer and Nadal (and as of today Verdasco!)

That may have been true about a year or 2 ago, but if you know much about tennis and have been watching him since Wimbledon last year it's easy to see he's turning into a great player (his match last week against Verdasco was very poor by his standards....taking nothing away from Verdasco though) and I honestly believe (all British bias aside) he's one of the most entertaining players on the tour today. I doubt he'll ever win Wimbledon, but am almost certain he'll win either the US or Australian Open within the next 5 years.

Firstly, I'd like to say Laura Robson is even less english than Murray. She's Australian.

But, I'm more than happy to adopt her as a British player, and think she has a good career ahead of her. After all, we all know what happened to the last British girl that won the Wimbledon and Australian open girls singles don't we? That's right, Annabel Croft became arguably the second greatest ever presenter of Treasure Hunt.

That may have been true about a year or 2 ago, but if you know much about tennis and have been watching him since Wimbledon last year it's easy to see he's turning into a great player (his match last week against Verdasco was very poor by his standards....taking nothing away from Verdasco though) and I honestly believe (all British bias aside) he's one of the most entertaining players on the tour today. I doubt he'll ever win Wimbledon, but am almost certain he'll win either the US or Australian Open within the next 5 years.

Please don't patronise me. I watch a lot of tennis and in my opinion a lot of the games he plays are incredibly defensive. Nadal and federer are on a different level especially in the slams. He will probably win 1 in the next 5 years but I still find him dull in comparison to others

Please don't patronise me. I watch a lot of tennis and in my opinion a lot of the games he plays are incredibly defensive. Nadal and federer are on a different level especially in the slams. He will probably win 1 in the next 5 years but I still find him dull in comparison to others

You're right of course, but I don't understand why he plays like that. I think he CAN play attacking tennis, so perhaps it is down to his coach?

You're right of course, but I don't understand why he plays like that. I think he CAN play attacking tennis, so perhaps it is down to his coach?

For me he doesn't have the power to dictate a point like rafa (nadal is wonderful at turning defense into attack in one shot.) nor does he have the shotmaking ability of fed. He is however fantastic at reading shots. He plays defensively because it will beat a lot of players. It's like the final of the snooker uk champs with the brilliant ronnie against the terribly dull perry

Another one for the English Tennis Hall of Fame then. Seriously yhtough, it would be soooo great to have a world beater one day.

I think she HAS won a Grand Slam, though:

Britain's Laura Robson missed out on a second junior Grand Slam title by losing to Russian Ksenia Pervak in the girls' final at the Australian Open.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7861317.stm

Nadal is one of the most defensive players on the tour. He's a counter-attacker the same as Hewitt, Murray etc..

Federer is by far the most entertaining player. Followed by Santoro for sheer oddness.

Sorry, that honestly wasn't supposed to sound patronising. I was just saying that Murray did used to play very defensively a lot of the time (even Federer used to moan about how boring his tactics were the first few times they played). But now, one of Murrays strengths is that he can swich almost instantly from defense to attack and he now was a wide range of shots at his disposal.

People often moan that he plays too many drop shots, but I thiink it's his favourite shot and probably the most difficult for opposing playerrs to return when he gets them right. He also seems to find angles which don't even look physically possible a lot of the time. Not to mention his serve which seems to improve every time I watch him...

Having said that, no one will ever come close to Federer as far as I'm concerned. Bloody brilliant player. Nadal is a **** (imo of course).

I think she HAS won a Grand Slam, though:

Britain's Laura Robson missed out on a second junior Grand Slam title by losing to Russian Ksenia Pervak in the girls' final at the Australian Open.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7861317.stm

b, i mean an absolute top level champion playing against grown ups and winning Wimbledon, the ones that every one knows the name of.

I know that to the tennis officianados like yourself and hypo, we have probably had quite a few good players, but they are known for being quite good and not the best in the world.

We can produce them in football, Rugger, Athletics Motor Sport and so many other disciplines. Why not tennis?

b, i mean an absolute top level champion playing against grown ups and winning Wimbledon, the ones that every one knows the name of.

I know that to the tennis officianados like yourself and hypo, we have probably had quite a few good players, but they are known for being quite good and not the best in the world.

We can produce them in football, Rugger, Athletics Motor Sport and so many other disciplines. Why not tennis?

Because it is Elitist

She lost

Another one for the English Tennis Hall of Fame then. Seriously yhtough, it would be soooo great to have a world beater one day.

She's 15 and the current wimbledon junior champion, she recently beat the number one seed on her way to the final of the Australian open (Laura was the number five seed) and she eventually lost to the number three seed. I think we may have a potential world beater on our hands to follow in the footsteps of Murray (hopefully).