The 3rd most violent city in England is.......

Thedelldays

Presumably both London & Manchester would come ahead of Southampton? If so, what about Nottingham? Birmingham? Other areas of Manchester, Oldham,Burnley?

Like the pun Benjii!

I agree. Manchester, London, Birmingham and other areas of Manchester are all more violents cities than Southampton.

Presumably both London & Manchester would come ahead of Southampton? If so, what about Nottingham? Birmingham? Other areas of Manchester, Oldham,Burnley?

Like the pun Benjii!

Thank you! :) I thought it was a good one.

Also, what about Glasgow?!!

I think it is probably because most citizens of Southampton are good people, with respect for authority; ergo a greater proportion of crimes are reported.

Many of the citizens of some of our less salubrious sink holes, Portsmouth for example, suffer from a sort of gypsy-derivative inferiority/mistrust complex when it comes to dealing with emanations of the state such as the police (with the notable exception of the benefit office of course). As a result, huge swathes of nasty, violent acts go unreported.

Its not hard to understand its percentage per 1,000 pepole.

You cannot hide the facts im afraid and we are talking about violent crime.

Read that we were the...

Geek capital

Chav capital

Young mums capital

In the last six months or so, the Echo is doing a great job promoting our city!

I think it is probably because most citizens of Southampton are good people, with respect for authority; ergo a greater proportion of crimes are reported.

Many of the citizens of some of our less salubrious sink holes, Portsmouth for example, suffer from a sort of gypsy-derivative inferiority/mistrust complex when it comes to dealing with emanations of the state such as the police (with the notable exception of the benefit office of course). As a result, huge swathes of nasty, violent acts go unreported.

GOT it in one

Not surprised, I have always maintained this city has possible the largest concentration of dense and arrogant people in the UK. I love my team, but the city and the majority of it's inhabitants? No way.

Example (Gary Saunders) here:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/Notorious-bully-faces-a-long.4292527.jp

"'..... safe in the knowledge that their mere presence and reputation meant that victims and witnesses were too frightened to come forward to support police."

Not surprised, I have always maintained this city has possible the largest concentration of dense and arrogant people in the UK. I love my team, but the city and the majority of it's inhabitants? No way.

Agree with CL, I love SFC but glad to be out of a city heading into a steep decline. Soton used to be a genuinely nice city when I was growing up but now nothing is done for the city's people or to promote the city's rich history and heritage - granted there is the Titanic Project but that's about 30 years overdue! It hurts me to say this but look at Gunwharf and look at Ocean Village. The section of the city around what was Tyrell & Green and the old High Street is a dump remisicent of East Berlin in the Communist era and needs pulling down asap - it resembles Portsmouth in the 1980s. Parks still look nice but the city centre needs huge regeneration and a decent light railway system to kick the cars out and to enable M27 users to travel through to Dorset or Sussex without suffering from the laziness of 50 years of crap Soton planning. It's so sad that my home city has become such a toilet, luckily I park in Woolston so I don't even have to go into the city centre for games.

No accident that the city is in the doldrums and the crime rate rises. When I was a kid, we built ships and were GENUINELY the home of Ocean racing!