This 'Pikey' obsession.

PES

Ok, I've got to raise it because it's been bugging me. Why do many Saints fans insist on calling Pompey Pikey's? I find it ironic, as Southampton and it's environs has many more 'Gypsy' families than Portsmouth and in fact as a city has a very rich Romany heritage. My wife works in a Southampton School and she tells me that the most common ethnic field filled out on Administrative forms by parents other than white is Romany. She also travels to school each day through an Area where young estate kids ride horses and horses are kept in peoples gardens.

I also went to school in a suburb of Southampton and went to school with a few people who were of gypsy discent. Contrast this with Portsmouth and I know of no major Gypsy Families, Pompey has many old, large 'Families' like the Stanley's and the Madgewicks, but these are old london families that moved down in the 1700-1800's to work our docks and as far as I'm aware have no Romany connections.

I will conceed that Pompey does have a large 'underclass' it may be that what many saints fans are confusing with gypsy, Pikey etc links, but it is incorrect. Southampton has many, many more Romany families and connections than Pompey.

Can I also point out that I sincerely don't mean this as an insult to any Southampton fans who read this board that are of Romany descent and actually find it ironic that words like pikey etc are tolerated whilst (Obviously) derogatory terms for Black or Asian people would rightly not be tolerated? I think it's time for many people to stop using these specific derogatory terms to insult Pompey fans when so many people from the community your insulting support the same club as you and have done for many generations. :)

Ok, I've got to raise it because it's been bugging me. Why do many Saints fans insist on calling Pompey Pikey's? I find it ironic, as Southampton and it's environs has many more 'Gypsy' families than Portsmouth and in fact as a city has a very rich Romany heritage. My wife works in a Southampton School and she tells me that the most common ethnic field filled out on Administrative forms by parents other than white is Romany. She also travels to school each day through an Area where young estate kids ride horses and horses are kept in peoples gardens.

I also went to school in a suburb of Southampton and went to school with a few people who were of gypsy discent. Contrast this with Portsmouth and I know of no major Gypsy Families, Pompey has many old, large 'Families' like the Stanley's and the Madgewicks, but these are old london families that moved down in the 1700-1800's to work our docks and as far as I'm aware have no Romany connections.

I will conceed that Pompey does have a large 'underclass' it may be that what many saints fans are confusing with gypsy, Pikey etc links, but it is incorrect. Southampton has many, many more Romany families and connections than Pompey.

Can I also point out that I sincerely don't mean this as an insult to any Southampton fans who read this board that are of Romany descent and actually find it ironic that words like pikey etc are tolerated whilst (Obviously) derogatory terms for Black or Asian people would rightly not be tolerated? I think it's time for many people to stop using these specific derogatory terms to insult Pompey fans when so many people from the community your insulting support the same club as you and have done for many generations. :)

I think a lot of it is down to how you act and dress. To be fair it's hard for us middle classes to tell 'proper' pikeys from the 'pretend' ones. All the time you've got John Westwood as the public figurehead for pompey fans, albeit self appointed, then it's going to be hard to shake off that pikey tag. I wouldn't worry about it too much though - being called pikeys are the least of your problems.

I think a lot of it is down to how you act and dress. To be fair it's hard for us middle classes to tell 'proper' pikeys from the 'pretend' ones. All the time you've got John Westwood as the public figurehead for pompey fans, albeit self appointed, then it's going to be hard to shake off that pikey tag. I wouldn't worry about it too much though - being called pikeys are the least of your problems.

In a nutshell (suit)

All the time you've got John Westwood as the public figurehead for pompey fans, albeit self appointed, then it's going to be hard to shake off that pikey tag.QUOTE]

Westwood looks like a Clown, not a member of the Romany community.

pike48.JPG

Hope this helps.

I'm sorry you think I'm fishing. I know it's a contensious issue, but I mean it. There are so many derogatory names that could be thrown at Pompey fans, why Pikey's or Gypo's and going on about the wheels on our caravans etc? It's completely illogical? It'd be like pompey fans calling Saints fans a bunch of Matelots, It would not add up and would not make any sence? I mean rather than accuse me of fishing, convince me otherwise? :confused:

You dress, act and have the same dental plan as pikeys QED you're pikeys.

Sorry I apologise this is a bit random but, In the early nineties I thought Southampton fans sported a disproportionate amount of Moustaches? Was that a fashion or something? It might seem ridiculous saying this now but as an observer back then it really struck me how many Saints fans were slug balancers! Was it a Francis Benali hero worship thing? I dont seem to remember Pompey fans ever going in for the Moustache? Can anyone shed some light on this.

I think that the term "Pikey" has more to do with , as you say, the underclass than the Romany people. How many people who dump rubbish, "tarmac drives" and live on Travellers sites are actually of Romany origin? Pikey and Romany not the same thing. Thats why Skates are Pikey. HTH.

Like a kinda urban pikey then? After all Pompey is the most densely populated city in Europe (or not too long ago it was anyway?) As opposed to your horse riding genuine gypsy types from Southampton. I guess that makes sence. though the meaning of the word is clearly lost on many Saints supporters. Pompey Chav would be a more accurate discription I suppose.

Like a kinda urban pikey then? After all Pompey is the most densely populated city in Europe (or not too long ago it was anyway?) As opposed to your horse riding genuine gypsy types from Southampton. I guess that makes sence. though the meaning of the word is clearly lost on many Saints supporters. Pompey Chav would be a more accurate discription I suppose.

That's not alliterative though.

Nah, Pikey is fairly accurate.

I guess it stems from the fact that portsmuff was just a small rural area made up of little villages (fratton, buckland to name a couple) and being an island the practises carried out amongst families in such cut-off places is obvious (and evident) to all. So while the locals were only fit for shoeing horses, selling pegs, etc., when the naval port was established they had to move in dockers in equal numbers from both Bristol and London to do the heavy work for you.

Sorry, our dockers would have helped but they were already running our own successful port.

And I can quite safely say that having lived in Southampton for nearly half a century I have never seen a "genuine gypsy" (or anyone else come to think about it) riding a horse through our wonderful city streets.

Don't thank me for the history lesson.

Nah, Pikey is fairly accurate.

I guess it stems from the fact that portsmuff was just a small rural area made up of little villages (fratton, buckland to name a couple) and being an island the practises carried out amongst families in such cut-off places is obvious (and evident) to all. So while the locals were only fit for shoeing horses, selling pegs, etc., when the naval port was established they had to move in dockers in equal numbers from both Bristol and London to do the heavy work for you.

Sorry, our dockers would have helped but they were already running our own successful port.

And I can quite safely say that having lived in Southampton for nearly half a century I have never seen a "genuine gypsy" (or anyone else come to think about it) riding a horse through our wonderful city streets.

Don't thank me for the history lesson.

Thanks Alehouse, Interesting theory? However, I think Portsmouth got it's city Charter before Southampton, so talk of small village etc is a bit off the mark. I'm not criticising Southampton for its diverse heritage, I'm praising it! I think you should celebrate your city's cultural diversity. Its not every city that has 'urban cowboys' riding the streets like you have around the Sholing estates, only other place i can think of like that is Dublin?

Thanks Alehouse, Interesting theory? However, I think Portsmouth got it's city Charter before Southampton, so talk of small village etc is a bit off the mark. I'm not criticising Southampton for its diverse heritage, I'm praising it! I think you should celebrate your city's cultural diversity. Its not every city that has 'urban cowboys' riding the streets like you have around the Sholing estates, only other place i can think of like that is Dublin?

In which case accept our return in praising you.

Stoopid Pikey :D

It's so quiet on here huh, think everyone's argued theirselves to oblivion.

It is very quiet. I hope the £5 fee isn't stopping people posting. Sometimes people don't appreciate something until it's gone. This forum has got to be one of the most condensed fan forums in the country? It seems the majority of Saints fans who use the internet use this forum, unlike Pompey ones, where its divided over about 8 seperate forums. I'm not sucking up (well maybe a bit) but the guys who developed and grew this forum should be really proud of what they achieved and people should stop being tight and part with their £5 so as they can join the mass debate. One other thing can we have fish again? That was such a classy touch on the old SF forum.

I see Lord pikey himself has had his bell banned from FP.

Cant find a link, but he's been interviewed on SSN saying how gutted he is.

LMAO.

Good!, Smelly attention seeker that he is. :mad:

I see Lord pikey himself has had his bell banned from FP.

Cant find a link, but he's been interviewed on SSN saying how gutted he is.

LMAO.

Someone was ringing one last night, unless they had a group of lepers in to swell the gate.

Pes is correct in some ways as the Pompey residents are like no other. If you lined up a lot of Skates from the centre of Pompey I could pick them without them talking.They are a throw back to Nelsons days when the worlds Navy's visited Portsmouth and bu#####d the men and women inhabitants. You just have to look at them and see their jet back greasy hair and their unusual dialect and they stand out like a sore thumb.

It is unfair to Pikeys to let them be mistaken for Skates. My daughter has a better expreesion for them 'Carnies', basically fair ground workers, you can imagine them running the Dodgems.

They are a throw back to Nelsons days when the worlds Navy's visited Portsmouth and bu#####d the men and women inhabitants.

This is a serious debate, not a discussion about your deepest, darkest, sexual fantasies. C'mon Nick, keep it clean will ya.

Someone was ringing one last night, unless they had a group of lepers in to swell the gate.

He was there till he got told to stop ringing his bell, he then took his bell, drum and little toy trumpet and left in a huff. He is the saddest man in the universe.

Good!, Smelly attention seeker that he is. :mad:

That must come as a huge relief to most Pompey fans. I understand that everybody except his little entourage absolutely loathe it. And on the very rare times that I have bothered to watch Pompey playing these days, it gets my goat within seconds of hearing it.

That must come as a huge relief to most Pompey fans. I understand that everybody except his little entourage absolutely loathe it. And on the very rare times that I have bothered to watch Pompey playing these days, it gets my goat within seconds of hearing it.

Your not wrong. Though currently opinion appears to be divided as some people say it's indicative of how the 'working classes' are being forced out of football. I'm in the thank f*** for that camp. :D

Pes is correct in some ways as the Pompey residents are like no other. If you lined up a lot of Skates from the centre of Pompey I could pick them without them talking.They are a throw back to Nelsons days when the worlds Navy's visited Portsmouth and bu#####d the men and women inhabitants. You just have to look at them and see their jet back greasy hair and their unusual dialect and they stand out like a sore thumb.

It is unfair to Pikeys to let them be mistaken for Skates. My daughter has a better expreesion for them 'Carnies', basically fair ground workers, you can imagine them running the Dodgems.

This is absolutely spot on, I work in Fareham and it's blatantly obvious which ones the skates are. You can tell just by looking at them. They have sort of squinty eyes and a general attitude problem.

This is absolutely spot on, I work in Fareham and it's blatantly obvious which ones the skates are. You can tell just by looking at them. They have sort of squinty eyes and a general attitude problem.

Your not even joking are you Denzil? :)

Well thats were your wrong Diesel, we are a friendly bunch unlike the third worst sh*t hole to live in. 25 miles into pony bumming country:D

Im interested to know where in Southampton you live. There are plenty or authentic travellers that now live in Southampton and ride their horses out and about.

There are about

Approx 15 families that live in Sholing down Botany Bay road.

Approx 20 families that live in Botley Road (St Johns Road End)

The Pages, Does, Rowes in Hedge End

The Coopers, Mcinleys in Romsey

Im interested to know where in Southampton you live. There are plenty or authentic travellers that now live in Southampton and ride their horses out and about.

There are about

Hedge End and Romsey are not 'in' Southampton. Myself, I'm west of the city centre and while I can't vouch for what goes on to the east I wouldn't be surprised that the nearer you edge towards portsea island the more likely 'pikey' tendencies will be in evidence...

Your not even joking are you Denzil? :)

Quite right PES, I'm deadly serious. If you had ten people from up and down the country, lined up agaist a wall and amongst them was a Pompey fan, I am 100% sure I could pick he/she/it out in less than 3 seconds.

Hedge End and Romsey are not 'in' Southampton. Myself, I'm west of the city centre and while I can't vouch for what goes on to the east I wouldn't be surprised that the nearer you edge towards portsea island the more likely 'pikey' tendencies will be in evidence...

Bolox........thats like saying Cosham not in Portmouth:D....no wonder i get lost in scumpty, Whole streets can just saddle up and move:smt116

Quite right PES, I'm deadly serious. If you had ten people from up and down the country, lined up agaist a wall and amongst them was a Pompey fan, I am 100% sure I could pick he/she/it out in less than 3 seconds.

So your saying is your an expert on the distinguishing features of Pompey fans. Funny talent to aquire? :confused:

So your saying is your an expert on the distinguishing features of Pompey fans. Funny talent to aquire? :confused:
its not the ones who drive in from outside but the ones born in that little introverted islandy thingy that is Pompey. They can all trace their families back to 2 people in about 1650. They were 2 sailors from a Spanish galleon Carlos the Uphill gardener and his half brother Mary.

He was there till he got told to stop ringing his bell, he then took his bell, drum and little toy trumpet and left in a huff. He is the saddest man in the universe.

was that part of the keep Britain tidy campaign.

Why did they eject the most intelligent of your fans. The prawn sandwich brigade that has taken over your club obviously didnt like it.

There are about

I'm really glad you took the time to post that exit2, I did not know the specific areas or roads where i've seen the urban cowboys and I know my wife aint lying about the number of kids who have entered 'Gypsey' as their ethnicity. The people in some kind of pathetic denial clearly don't know their own city very well and there condescending attitude to some of their fellow fans is sadly indicative of our 'smart arse' society today.

Can I re-iterate I never started this thread as a put down of Authentic travellers, but to highlight the Irony that Southampton fans should throw these derogatory terms at Pompey fans, when the truth of the matter is that Southampton has a very rich gypsey heritage with many, many traveller families living in Southampton and supporting the Saints in contrast to Portsmouth which does not.

I went to school with a member of the Barney family and he and his brothers were VERY staunch Saints fans and would box the ears of people who threw these terms around willy-nilly, nice guys but i'd be f****d if i'd get on the wrong side of 'em.

I think it's disappointing that some Saints fans can be so dismissive of a large element of their own city and their own support. :(

was that part of the keep Britain tidy campaign.

Why did they eject the most intelligent of your fans. The prawn sandwich brigade that has taken over your club obviously didnt like it.

Nice to find you in good form tonight Nick. :D

its not the ones who drive in from outside but the ones born in that little introverted islandy thingy that is Pompey. They can all trace their families back to 2 people in about 1650. They were 2 sailors from a Spanish galleon Carlos the Uphill gardener and his half brother Mary.

Hey! My Great Grandfather's called Mary (so thats why my middle names Carlos.)

D'you write 'Horrible History' books? if not you should! :D

Yes, I have come across a fair few of them, I also have the misfortune of working with some, I would recognise those squinty eyes and the disgusting mockney accent anywhere.

Ok thanks Andy, I guess that clears things up? :)

Yes, because of football rivalry, we all think you pompey lot are a bunch stupid ******s. No basis on this, just the way it is. We both hate each other. I'm sure we're pretty similar really, but maybe not, portsmouth is a bit of a **** hole. ;)