Death Magnetic

Pancake

I haven't. Probably because IMO Metallica have been on a slow downward slide since 1991. Yes, there have been some good tracks since, for example I'm a big fan of Unforgiven II, but they were much better up to and including "Metallica".

I haven't. Probably because IMO Metallica have been on a slow downward slide since 1991. Yes, there have been some good tracks since, for example I'm a big fan of Unforgiven II, but they were much better up to and including "Metallica".

Fully agree that their post "Black Album" output has been patchy at best, but this new stuff does sound a bit more promising... check it out.

Im sorry but I saw Metallica at Reading, im not their biggest fan but they were supperb. The song Cyonide from Deat Magnetic sounded wicked too. Rick Ruben is producing the album also and he doesnt do too many duffers

Edited by saint_bert

I don't know how anyone can say they're over-rated. They changed metal and brought it to the masses. Whether you like them or not, they have influenced so many metal bands since the mid 80s. Furthermore, they did this at a time when metal was not cool and Culture Club, Bronski Beat and other such 80s crap were top of the pops. I can only assume that people who cannot recall this probably didn't live through the 80s.

I, for one, will be forever thankful to Metallica for getting me into metal and I will always go and see their fantastic live shows every time I can. Stuff since the Black Album has indeed been patchy but to say they are over-rated? I think not. They fully deserve their legendary status.

Re the new album, the few snippets I've heard sound pretty good and rifftastic to me although I haven't yet heard anything with vocals.

What amazes me is that you can walk into your'e local Burtons Menswear and purchase Metallica and Motorhead T-Shirts and be "trendy" in doing so.

Not so long ago you were a social outcast for liking the aforementioned bands,now it's cool.

I used to take so much flak for the music i liked,now you can wear the shirt and not have a clue about the band,yet be accepted,but 'cos it is now the "norm"you get away with it.

Fookin' plastics.

Edited by saint lard

It's a good return to form. Certainly better than 'Load', 'Re-Load' and 'St. Anger'. Which must mean that it's their best work since the Black album.

What about garage Inc? 1 of the Cd's was new covers. Their version of whisky in the jar is the best and there's a few other good covers. Loverman is poo though.

Ive had death magnetic for a couple fo weeks cos im an iliegal whore, its settled very well with me, some of the riffs are class A metallica. Broken, beat, and scarred is my fave so far, brilliant stuff! Wish I was going to the o2 on monday, anyone got a spare ticket?! Saw them at reading but could always use more metallica lovin

The new album has some killer riffs on it and I have to say I really like the majority of it.

As mentioned above the culture show special is a must watch for any fan.

The o2 last night was amazing and all for the price of two pints. Those guys rock and always will. They are a class above.

Yep, having also seen some of these songs live on Monday and listened to the album a lot more, I now think this album is pretty excellento actually. That Was Just Your Life and All Nightmare Long are my current favourites (especially the former). Unforgiven III and The Judas Kiss also highlights but actually I don't think there is a bad track on this album.

O2 gig was fantastic - one of the best in ages and some of the more obscure classics as well as new ones. No Sandman etc... but this to me was a superb performance for a band looking fresh, enjoying their music and hungry for more. Head still hurts and only got voice back today. Best fiver spent, ever.

These guys are well and truly back and I will be seeing them again next year, even if it is Earl's Court (7 April) as rumoured.

PS Ewell, what is the Culture Show Special and do you have a link? Couldn't find anything on BBC just now

Metallica are also on the Jools Holland show, according to the beeb they close the show with 'Enter Sandman'. :smt035

They played out with The Day That Never Ends when I watched it the other day so unless they recorded more and changed it for the 'repeat', or I turned over early, the BBC are wrong.

They played out with The Day That Never Ends when I watched it the other day so unless they recorded more and changed it for the 'repeat', or I turned over early, the BBC are wrong.

What you saw was the short version, the Friday show is an extended one. The details are on the BBC website, as part of an article on the French singer who is married to Sarkozy, who is also on the show.

I got the album yesterday. I'm not a massive fan of Metallica, but I do think that 'Black Album' is an awesome record and i've been pleasantly surprised by this new record. Some very good riffs on here and while i'm not a very big fan of metal i'm slowly but surely falling in love with the album.

8.5/10

Excellent album,Broken,beat and scarred and Judas Kiss are really great.

Have had a peak at the Metallica OS and there seems quite a bit of anger aimed at Lars for some of his comments reference the production, as it has received quite a bit of critisim from fans.

Some are even thinking of returning the cd's and boycoting the gigs,mainly in the USA,can anyone shed any light to this.

Excellent album,Broken,beat and scarred and Judas Kiss are really great.

Have had a peak at the Metallica OS and there seems quite a bit of anger aimed at Lars for some of his comments reference the production, as it has received quite a bit of critisim from fans.

Some are even thinking of returning the cd's and boycoting the gigs,mainly in the USA,can anyone shed any light to this.

Probably Dave Mustaine using a load of different log ons...