450 Ford jobs axed at Swaythling

TopGun

TopGun,

Ford have said (recently) that the proposals are to go on one shift and build only chassis cabs. The current economic climate has forced this latest move on Ford.

What niggles me is the volume, 35,000 per year, that Ford were quoting for chassis cab production. I am told by insiders that Southampton & Kocaeli have not built 35,00 per year for at least 5 years! If this is right then there's a problem in the counting house!

Sad news all round, just awaiting the silly comments now, like on the Echo site.

Thats and awful lot of jobs and a big blow to the area, likely to be the tip of the iceberg. I'll tell you what F**** me off the most, Why is it that when the highly paid financial sector F**** up, it's the ordinary man on the ground who gets the bullet? I know thats a naive way of looking at it, but I saw it first hand in 1994 (Redundancy) and to see it happening again F**** me right off!

Thats and awful lot of jobs and a big blow to the area, likely to be the tip of the iceberg. I'll tell you what F**** me off the most, Why is it that when the highly paid financial sector F**** up, it's the ordinary man on the ground who gets the bullet? I know thats a naive way of looking at it, but I saw it first hand in 1994 (Redundancy) and to see it happening again F**** me right off!

In all fairness I do have to say that something like this was coming our way. It has been hastened and exacerbated by people in the financial world gambling on movements of large sums of money/shareholdings. The whole money market of the last twenty odd years does seem to have been built like a deck of cards with them being far too adventurous with investments and the like.

Like any other employer Ford are going to make the decisions that are best for their shareholders etc. We always said that Ford are not in the business to make vehicles, they are in it to make money. Along the way they made an awful lot of motors and an even more extreme amount of money. They are not in it, at this stage, for their employees. Although they do recognise that they will need to retain some of the skills that they have built their empire on. If they let too many go then when the upturn comes (I have no idea when) they will have nothing to build with.

This is the thin end of the wedge for Ford Assembly in the U.K. I fear that if they move to far, in an already fragile environment, it will reach the point of no return for Southampton.

They are talking 450 to 500 job losses. I am due in to work later and then I may find out if that is a figure which encompasses contracting staff also. If not then be assured that some of those will also lose their jobs.

But don't just think of those within the Ford gates. What about staff in small local companies who support the Ford Plant? Small metal pressings, the seat makers adjacent to the plant and even the local baker who supplies rolls to the canteen.

Then what about those who can't (or will not) find work? They will be entitled to benefits. So your council tax takes a hit. The country, as a whole, has to fund payments to however many families are hit this way. Free school meals, uniform subsidies, free travel.

Local shops will suffer, where people cut back also.

Importantly relevant to this forum, how many will no longer be able to buy season tickets or game by game tickets for Saints?

And so it rolls out.

Not a good time for anyone I think.

And, as I said earlier, there's probably more to come.

But don't just think of those within the Ford gates. What about staff in small local companies who support the Ford Plant? Small metal pressings, the seat makers adjacent to the plant and even the local baker who supplies rolls to the canteen.

Then what about those who can't (or will not) find work? They will be entitled to benefits. So your council tax takes a hit. The country, as a whole, has to fund payments to however many families are hit this way. Free school meals, uniform subsidies, free travel.

Importantly relevant to this forum, how many will no longer be able to buy season tickets or game by game tickets for Saints?

And so it rolls out.

You paint a very bleak picture ESB, wish I could say I disagree with you. :(

In all fairness I do have to say that something like this was coming our way. It has been hastened and exacerbated by people in the financial world gambling on movements of large sums of money/shareholdings. The whole money market of the last twenty odd years does seem to have been built like a deck of cards with them being far too adventurous with investments and the like.

Like any other employer Ford are going to make the decisions that are best for their shareholders etc. We always said that Ford are not in the business to make vehicles, they are in it to make money. Along the way they made an awful lot of motors and an even more extreme amount of money. They are not in it, at this stage, for their employees. Although they do recognise that they will need to retain some of the skills that they have built their empire on. If they let too many go then when the upturn comes (I have no idea when) they will have nothing to build with.

This is the thin end of the wedge for Ford Assembly in the U.K. I fear that if they move to far, in an already fragile environment, it will reach the point of no return for Southampton.

They are talking 450 to 500 job losses. I am due in to work later and then I may find out if that is a figure which encompasses contracting staff also. If not then be assured that some of those will also lose their jobs.

And so it rolls out.

From what i'm lead to believe it does cover contract workers, and Ford workers that are over 52. But having said that, i know they have had more than the 500 they wanted apply for the package!!!!

From what i'm lead to believe it does cover contract workers, and Ford workers that are over 52. But having said that, i know they have had more than the 500 they wanted apply for the package!!!!

Two points:

• The plant has 1,150 workers (not sure if that includes contract staff) so 450 is a potential near 40% cull. Maybe there are workers who will take voluntary redundancy with pay-off but unlikely to be that amount. But it adds up if they are selling half the vans that they were last year and want to cut a shift.

• Specifying directly employed workers over the age of 52 for mandatory redundancy will be against the law. Ageism.

Edited by TopGun

Two points:

• The plant has 1,150 workers (not sure if that includes contract staff) so 450 is a potential 40% cull. Maybe there are workers who will take voluntary redundancy with pay-off but unlikely to be that amount.

• Specifying directly employed workers over the age of 52 for mandatory redundancy will be against the law. Ageism.

Most of the 52yr old plus workers have been there 30+ years, so get the top package: 36 months pay and a full final salary pension.So no ageism involved what so ever,they just want a younger work force to stay.And by the way its not compulsary redundancy yet for Ford workers!!!!! Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

Most of the 52yr old plus workers have been there 30+ years, so get the top package: 36 months pay and a full final salary pension.So no ageism involved what so ever,they just want a younger work force to stay.And by the way its not compulsary redundancy yet for Ford workers!!!!!

Agreed. It just can't be forced should the situation of mandatory redundancies arise. And there will be a good percentage of older workers who won't have been employed at Ford for full service pension too. I take your point though.

Edited by TopGun

The piece of paper I have in front of me talks of 'between 400 and 500 Ford employees'. It makes no mention of contract employees so I wouldn't know for sure if that figure does include contract staff.

None can have applied for the package as yet.

I am informed that the voluntary redundancy application forms are being sent out to each employee's home by mail. The application needs to be in by the end of March. Although a closing date of April 14th is also mentioned. Separation to be concluded by May 5th.

Although I have no doubt, in my estimation, that the 500 may well be exceeded. In fact if that figure is slightly over I reckon they might let those extra ones go also.

The underlying problem will be sorting out those that can go and those who the company will need to retain for 'operational requirements'. That's where the push and shove will start.

We may have had a slight differing of opion a while back ESB but i hope all goes well for you. I wouldn't wish anyone to lose their job especially now when there's no other jobs out there. They've cancelled overtime at my place as of today which was a bit of a shock, but i never do it anyway so can't say i'm that bothered on that score. When Gordon Brown mistakenly called the recession a depression yesterday i think he got it right. Saw a programme on tv about the wall street crash in the 1920's and the circumstances are more or less identical to now - despite Browns spin that this is unchartered territory. The wall street crash came about because there was no effective regulation in place - the same has happened now with governments not curbing the ease with which unsuitable people got credit.

The piece of paper I have in front of me talks of 'between 400 and 500 Ford employees'. It makes no mention of contract employees so I wouldn't know for sure if that figure does include contract staff.

None can have applied for the package as yet.

I am informed that the voluntary redundancy application forms are being sent out to each employee's home by mail. The application needs to be in by the end of March. Although a closing date of April 14th is also mentioned. Separation to be concluded by May 5th.

Although I have no doubt, in my estimation, that the 500 may well be exceeded. In fact if that figure is slightly over I reckon they might let those extra ones go also.

The underlying problem will be sorting out those that can go and those who the company will need to retain for 'operational requirements'. That's where the push and shove will start.

Its a good ploy by Fords, because when that push comes they can employ maybe just agency or new full timers on a lower rate and benefits!

And sorry "apply" was the wrong word, enquired maybe a better one! ;)

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

We may have had a slight differing of opion a while back ESB but i hope all goes well for you. I wouldn't wish anyone to lose their job especially now when there's no other jobs out there. They've cancelled overtime at my place as of today which was a bit of a shock, but i never do it anyway so can't say i'm that bothered on that score. When Gordon Brown mistakenly called the recession a depression yesterday i think he got it right. Saw a programme on tv about the wall street crash in the 1920's and the circumstances are more or less identical to now - despite Browns spin that this is unchartered territory. The wall street crash came about because there was no effective regulation in place - the same has happened now with governments not curbing the ease with which unsuitable people got credit.

Thanks. As it is I'm now a contractor. I'm lucky to be rather less affected because my job is aligned with providing plant cover for safety and insurance purposes. So until they change their minds (which could be overnight!) my position is relatively safe. Although I'm not crowing about it, just counting my blessings.

This recession/depression has a long while to run yet I fear.

Again, thanks.

Most known big free market economic failures are the result of banking or economic greed/over-expansion - South Sea Bubble (1720), Wall St Crash (1929). No different now, though hopefully better placed to stop an inward spiralling circle because of better integrated global comms and prevention measures. No guarantees though.

Edited by TopGun

My brother works at Fords and he is safe, he's been there 20yrs and he's sort of relieved.

He could of took the package, but felt he'd prefer to continue to work.

As for myself, my parent company NWF is bucking the trend and making money in the winter time (we are a summer buisness) and it looks like we will get a PRB and a pay rise! HAPPY DAYS!!! :)

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

But having said that, i know they have had more than the 500 they wanted apply for the package!!!!

During a conversation with a Ford shop steward he claimed - that the Unite union had canvassed Ford workers and that way more than the required numbers wanted to take the package and go, which meant the union were going to fight for all Ford workers that wanted to go to be allowed and any gaps in workers be filled with 'contract' workers presently on site on new ford contracts which would be at the present pay and conditions the contracters already have. Sounds fine, until you think that you could have two people doing the same job next to each other, one on £13 ph the other on £7.80. Almost certainly going to be conflict at some point, for instance overtime, only need one to come in, who's going to get picked? For this reason alone i dont think it could work and im sure most or all contracters will be unemployed by April/May, please note 'think' not fact.

I was also led too believe that in an ideal world Ford management wanted Ford workers doing line jobs only and all other work contracted out, that may get rid of the required numbers but would the workers allow it to happen?

During a conversation with a Ford shop steward he claimed - that the Unite union had canvassed Ford workers and that way more than the required numbers wanted to take the package and go, which meant the union were going to fight for all Ford workers that wanted to go to be allowed and any gaps in workers be filled with 'contract' workers presently on site on new ford contracts which would be at the present pay and conditions the contracters already have. Sounds fine, until you think that you could have two people doing the same job next to each other, one on £13 ph the other on £7.80. Almost certainly going to be conflict at some point, for instance overtime, only need one to come in, who's going to get picked? For this reason alone i dont think it could work and im sure most or all contracters will be unemployed by April/May, please note 'think' not fact.

I was also led too believe that in an ideal world Ford management wanted Ford workers doing line jobs only and all other work contracted out, that may get rid of the required numbers but would the workers allow it to happen?

Yeah this is same Ford management who wanted everybody as a contract/agency workers, so they could lay them off without pay when they didnt need them!!! ;)

Strong rumours that South West Trains will be making all revenue Protection Officers outside the London region redundant. I do hope that nobody is tempted to take advantage of the situation and use the old dual one-stop season ticket scam (one for the start and one for the end) becasue that would be jolly naughty and there will be nobody to stop you getting away with it. Ahem!

I saw that the programme about the depression as well. Very interesting especially about the amount of credit available to speculators. Trouble is when an economy is doing well then introducing regulation is seen as a curb to entrepreneurs etc. In many ways the government can't win (and that's any government) because when things are good then they're perceived to be an unneccessary hindrance and when things are bad then it's their fault.

Take the housing market here - anyone could see that for quite a while prices have been far too high. If we'd enforced strictly the 3 x your salary rule then domestically the housing market would have been realistic but what government is brave enough to do that? Who wants to alienate people and tell them they can't buy a house when the credit industry is crying out to lend?

Anyway back on topic, at least it looks like Ford is offering a decent redundancy package because statutory minimum is awful. Still very very bad news though and good luck to anyone affected.

I saw that the programme about the depression as well. Very interesting especially about the amount of credit available to speculators. Trouble is when an economy is doing well then introducing regulation is seen as a curb to entrepreneurs etc. In many ways the government can't win (and that's any government) because when things are good then they're perceived to be an unneccessary hindrance and when things are bad then it's their fault.

Take the housing market here - anyone could see that for quite a while prices have been far too high. If we'd enforced strictly the 3 x your salary rule then domestically the housing market would have been realistic but what government is brave enough to do that? Who wants to alienate people and tell them they can't buy a house when the credit industry is crying out to lend?

Anyway back on topic, at least it looks like Ford is offering a decent redundancy package because statutory minimum is awful. Still very very bad news though and good luck to anyone affected.

What alot of people dont know is that alot of Ford workers want this, and its not a shock at all. Its just being played up by the Echo and local MP's/Councillers, so dont believe every thing you read about this!

Why else would so many enquire about the package (500+).