I Have got to vent my spleen

Secret Site Agent

I have just been given a ****ing rollicking by a client. The reason? I submitted a document to them, it was spell checked in word by my companies on line intranet, as I have to be logged into it when I am in a major office, and to send/recieve e-mails, and when they recieved it they went ballistic at my spelling, especially of the word 'Defence' which was spelt 'Defense'.

The Client?

The Ministry of Defense, (s**t I did it again), I mean Defence.

I left it to an underling to do the final check, who passed it onto a POLISH lad, (no disrespect to them, I couldn't do a technical job in another language that is for sure).

But why when I speak to my funcking IT department do they tell me that it always defaults to the US spelling.

WHY???????

I don't know wether to sack soemone, smash the computer, or requisition a cat so that I have something to kick. Or maybe just go home and beat up the misses, as apperently we all do because Saints are crap, (and I would like to see the raw evidence on THAT piece of scandalous news reporting).

GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Bloody Microsoft. Don't speak English properly, don't spell English properly, don't invest in us properly.

Don't you just hate it!!!!!!

Rant over. I'm going home now. Shouldn't even be at work at quarter to seven at night. I've kept the staff with me though. Bastards. They all think their getting overtime.

As if.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
funnily enough they pronounce Aluminum correctly wheras we dont.

We've been over this before...

The earliest citation given in the Oxford English Dictionary for any word used as a name for this element is alumium, which British chemist and inventor Humphry Davy employed in 1808 for the metal he was trying to isolate electrolytically from the mineral alumina.

By 1812, Davy had settled on aluminum... But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."

Word processor dictionaries should only be used in the event of typos, and as such should really be set to the as-you-type function. They are absolutely no substitute to a good basic foundation in spelling and grammar. And, unless you are heavily restricted in changing settings, there should be no problem in changing the default dictionary to UK English.

I know the above sounds terribly pedantic and formal, but it really f***s me right off that people can't bother to learn how to spell properly, or even properly check spelling, and instead rely on a piece of inaccurate and flawed software that emanates from Seattle, USA.

Starting a sentence with "And," StL? My spell-checker wouldn't allow that, even in US English.

;)

Yeah, I know that one. My primary school teacher pulled me up for starting a sentence off with And. I pointed out that Charles Dickens did it a few times, and that was good enough for me. Although I never wrote a sentence, starting it off in that way, in school again. ;)

MS Office 2003 with the English (UK) dictionaries installed correctly allows me to start sentences with both 'and' and 'but'. I was never any good at English at school, so had no idea until now that this was a big no-no :confused:

It's only a no-no to start a sentence with a conjunction (and, but, etc.) in formal English and it's actually widely acceptable nowadays. I was only pulling StL's leg, to be honest, and I've no actual idea whether my spell-checker would allow it, as I don't use one.