Test Match Umpire decision referal

Weston Saint

So what do we think.

In the first innings WI referred 1 but no chang in decision (correctly) england referred 2 and not changed (again correctly). Reafirms just how good the Umpires are.

Now in West Indies innings England have referred 2 and one correctly changed.

I like this system as it will take out of the game those occassional bad decisions.

I dont like the way it undermines umpires for a start and it slows the game down.Its pretty bad waiting for a decision but imagine sitting around waiting for a decision at a test match and you have no idea whats going on for 4 or 5 mins.

Imagine if The Ashes last deciding wicket is on a referral and we are sat around waiting,it kills the drama........

According to Nasser Hussain, Daryl Harper ballsed up the referral by Sarwan. He said the ICC have stated he gave the decision based upon being a standing umpire (i.e. giving the benefit of doubt to the batsman), when he should have only corrected the decision if there it was an obvious mistake. If it's 50/50, then he should always go with the decision that the standing umpire gave originally.

I would rather not have the process used as I feel it undermines the standing umpires somewhat; if it is used though, the umpires need to be bloody certain what their remit is to avoid mistakes like today.

takes the talking points out of the game. soon we'll all be down the pub at home wherever talking about a totally sterile salient game, no talking points, no controversy.

its like in football, we talk about bad refereering decisions, we wuz robbed. or alternatively talk about the luck we had and how we deserved it. without that the game loses a lot of its excitement.

Good to see Daryl Harper was equally as incompetent when adjudicating on Powell's caught behind decision. How on earth couldn't he see the yawning gap between bat and ball? The whole point of the referral syatem is to avoid these kind of elementary mistakes.