Firefox?

saint lard

As i'm a bit docile could someone just give a brief,and in laymans terms,the benefits, if any, of installing firefox.

I often hear it mentiond but being an old fart and technophobe i really am really befuddled as to what it does.Please excuse my ignorance.

Thankyou in advance for any advice given.

Just windows internet explorer on Vista home basic,through Virgin Media.

Not sure if thats the answer you require.:rolleyes:

I'd hazard a guess that you are running IE7. Techies will be able to tell you more but all I know is that IE7 allows tabbed browsing which is an advantage over IE6.

However, I use Firefox (that allows tabbed browsing also) and just find it easier to use than IE7. Some sites however are less easy to browse with Firefox. I end up using IE when I go to Windows update for a look around as I get redirected to download and install IE.

To be honest, all the browsers have their strengths and weaknesses. I find Firefox'es quirkeness slightly off-putting. Of course, when I say that, it could also just be called different.

Try Apple's Safari browser. Extremely quick, and actually a very pleasant change from the same old, same old.

But don't tell Essruu I said that. ;)

I'd hazard a guess that you are running IE7. Techies will be able to tell you more but all I know is that IE7 allows tabbed browsing which is an advantage over IE6.

However, I use Firefox (that allows tabbed browsing also) and just find it easier to use than IE7. Some sites however are less easy to browse with Firefox. I end up using IE when I go to Windows update for a look around as I get redirected to download and install IE.

That sheds some light ,thankyou.

I do have tabbed browsing available to me so i pressume it's IE7.

To be honest, all the browsers have their strengths and weaknesses. I find Firefox'es quirkeness slightly off-putting. Of course, when I say that, it could also just be called different.

Try Apple's Safari browser. Extremely quick, and actually a very pleasant change from the same old, same old.

But don't tell Essruu I said that. ;)

Just taken a peek at the free Safari download page,looks good.

If however i download it,i pressume thats straight forward, and don't get to grips with it do i just unistall it and i automatically revert back to my original IE.

Sorry for being a numpty,thanks for the advice .

Just taken a peek at the free Safari download page,looks good.

If however i download it,i pressume thats straight forward, and don't get to grips with it do i just unistall it and i automatically revert back to my original IE.

Sorry for being a numpty,thanks for the advice .

Yep. But don't worry, you will be able to get on with it. Just remember it's completely unlike IE7 in an Applely kind of way. That's not all good, but it's not all bad either.

Because I formmated the HDD on the machine I'm using at present, I'm not using Safari on it, but good ol' IE7. IE7 is OK, it's just a little boring and slow at times. And another point, the window we type our posts in becomes an instant spell checker with Safari. Just watch out for the U.S. spelling though.

Edited by St Landrew

Yep. But don't worry, you will be able to get on with it. Just remember it's completely unlike IE7 in an Applely kind of way. That's not all good, but it's not all bad either.

Well i've just downloaded Safari and will give it a whirl,happy that i can set it to my default browser but can switch back to IE if want to easily.

Once again you are all fonts of all knowledge with reference to all things techy.

Thankyou.

Now i'm on Safari,now that does appear groovey.

This is going to take some getting used too.

Am i right in saying that Safari will allow me access to particular things on the net that maybe IE or Firefox won't, and vice versa.

Once all the add ins and permissions are allotted, I doubt you'll find much difference in Safari's ability to go places or IE7s, or Firefox's. It's just that Safari will get there slightly faster and be slightly slicker in use. All my opinion, of course, but it is based on experience of all the main browsers.