iPhone v Blackberry

Baj

Within the next month I'm due an upgrade, or if I wait til May, I'm out of contract.

Happy to switch provider, and as phone will mainly be for business use, I am trying to decide between blackberry and iPhone. Why those 2? They seem to have the widest support of additional applications.

I can read reviews, but would rather have the opinion of those who use either every day.

As a mac user now, perhaps the iPhone will be more appropriate to use in conjunction with my macbook, however, I equally think the blackberry looks tasty.

Thoughts?

Get the new Curve Baj, it's f*cking lovely, arguably nicer looking than the iPhone.

IMO does e-mail on the go better than anything else, its wasy to use, decent camera and ticks all the boxes. Plus its not like a holding a DVD case to your ear when you want to make a call....

I have had a BBerry for about 3 years, varying models etc and currently im trialling a few of the newer models for our CEO, the Storm sucked, Battery life is about 8minutes and nasty unresponsive touch screen. Quite liked the Bold but i would go with the new curve, it combines the best bits of the Bold, but is far more sleek and refined IMO.

Link to the curve-

http://eu.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberrycurve8900/

Thanks for all the info guys. Majorly leaning towards the BB Curve at the moment having read everyones comments and reading on the vodafone website (my currently supplier). The only "toy" type thing it needs to do is take decent photos, aside from that its 100% for business.

got a blackberry and an iphone, and i much prefer the blackberry. i couldnt ever be without it. the iphone is great as a toy, but the blackberry ****es all over it for business

I've been given an iPhone 3g by my employer. Seems fancy enough but rather inneffective for e-mails and business etc.

Same here. Although I think the soon to be released N97 should be an interesting bit of kit. Comes out in March I think.

Does look interesting but I think there's only room for one touch enabled device in my pocket. Besides that the N95 8GB still does everything I want it to over a year since I bought it. When a nokia comes out which does something significantly different or better to the n95 8gb then I will consider changing. Only things I can think of are lightning quick internet and even better camera and video capabilities.

Thanks for all the info guys. Majorly leaning towards the BB Curve at the moment having read everyones comments and reading on the vodafone website (my currently supplier). The only "toy" type thing it needs to do is take decent photos, aside from that its 100% for business.

Go for it with the Curve mate.

I've been given an iPhone 3g by my employer. Seems fancy enough but rather inneffective for e-mails and business etc.

Ineffective how exactly?

I send and receive (push and fetch) email on three accounts. I can view attachments of .xls .doc .ppt .pdf etc, edit my spreadsheets and send invoices from my iPhone. I don't use Exchange, but could do if I needed to do so. I can send files by wifi to/from my iPhone. The touch keypad is intuitive and better than any physical keypad I've used.

Baj is also a converted Mac user, so will find the synchronisation between the iPhone and iPhoto, iTunes etc sweet and beautiful.

Plus of course it's a full blown iPod, has the best mobile web browser bar none, has the best and easiest to use App store available, YouTube, iPlayer etc etc etc.

I love my aluminium MacBook, but my iPhone still gets more use at home than my MacBook or Mac Mini.

If you're ONLY concerned with corporate email handling then I could maybe understand choosing the Blackberry; but, for anything else, not choosing the iPhone is the wrong decision.

I've got an iPhone 3g and I love it but i have to say the new Nokia 5800 kicks its arse in almost every way, functionality wise. Only the user touch interface and aesthetics of the phone itself are better on the Apple.

The 5800 has 3.2mp Carl Zeiss camera, with 30fps video. Also, It has full bluetooth functionality plus flash support for the web browser. It's also about 2/3 of the price on PAYG as the iPhone. I won't be rushing out to swap my iPhone for one, but I hope Apple learn a few lessons for the 3rd gen iPhone.

Ok, so I'm trying to break down my usage into whats most important/regular.

First and foremost, it's email. Now, yes I use an exchange server, however that's completely irrelevant, as long as the email client supports IMAP or POP3/SMTP(which of course it will), the most important aspect for email is that i can browse the subfolders I've set up, as I break down my clients into seperate boxes (no rules, i move them there manually). As for the emails themselves, just viewing and replying would be fine, previewing docs isnt that important, tho a nice to have.

Secondly, camera. Yes, I know it sounds pathetic to the rest of you, but having 2 kids, I take a LOT of photos, and I need them half decent quality. Which takes better photos, iPhone 3g or Blackberry.

Next of importance is GPS along with bundled software, as I plan to use my next device to replace my aging PDA / GPS unit running tomtom in the car. Which of these has the best GPS device + software?

Web browsing, ironically, isn't of such great importance, more of a nice-to-have. Which has the best browsing?

Things like iTunes integration / Mass music storage don't really interest me, tho I guess they could do if I was given the feature.

I'm not 100% sold on either atm, and note that Granty is a mac convert, yet chose a blackberry.

Ok, so I'm trying to break down my usage into whats most important/regular.

First and foremost, it's email. Now, yes I use an exchange server, however that's completely irrelevant, as long as the email client supports IMAP or POP3/SMTP(which of course it will), the most important aspect for email is that i can browse the subfolders I've set up, as I break down my clients into seperate boxes (no rules, i move them there manually). As for the emails themselves, just viewing and replying would be fine, previewing docs isnt that important, tho a nice to have.

Secondly, camera. Yes, I know it sounds pathetic to the rest of you, but having 2 kids, I take a LOT of photos, and I need them half decent quality. Which takes better photos, iPhone 3g or Blackberry.

Next of importance is GPS along with bundled software, as I plan to use my next device to replace my aging PDA / GPS unit running tomtom in the car. Which of these has the best GPS device + software?

Web browsing, ironically, isn't of such great importance, more of a nice-to-have. Which has the best browsing?

Things like iTunes integration / Mass music storage don't really interest me, tho I guess they could do if I was given the feature.

I'm not 100% sold on either atm, and note that Granty is a mac convert, yet chose a blackberry.

The N95 8GB has an awesome camera (as, like you, i have kids so a camera is a must), can do emails, has GPS built in and has loads of memory for music etc etc. As i said in previous post, best phone i have ever had.

I've got the same dilemma Baj but after much research I think I'm going to go for the Curve. I know quite a few people who have got either this or the Bold and I've not heard a bad word said about either.

Avoid the Storm at all costs though. The touch screen is utter rubbish by all accounts and very difficult to use.

I've got the same dilemma Baj but after much research I think I'm going to go for the Curve. I know quite a few people who have got either this or the Bold and I've not heard a bad word said about either.

Avoid the Storm at all costs though. The touch screen is utter rubbish by all accounts and very difficult to use.

Yep the Storm screen is like a giant button. tough to explain but it is total helmet.

The Curve is so gorgeous i bought it a valentines card

A heard it has really **** battery life?

Yeah. You'll need to charge the N95 8GB every day, but it ****s all over the other phones, so on that basis I don't think you can really complain too much about the battery life. Believe me - you will not regret buying it. I use mine more than my left hand.

That's why I have an N95 8GB and ipod touch. Fantastic :)

The Touch is total class, the N95 is, for me, a total disappointment. While the camera is very good, though a little slow, the GPS is painfully slow picking up the sat's, web browsing is very poor (even using WiFi, which it keeps dropping connections), i still cant get the driver for the cable so i cant sync with the Lappy outlook, so all in all i am a bit disappointed in the N95.

On the other hand i got a touch (NOT an iPhone) for Xmas and am so chuffed with it i am seriously thinking of trading in the N95 for one.

Col.

The Touch is total class, the N95 is, for me, a total disappointment. While the camera is very good, though a little slow, the GPS is painfully slow picking up the sat's,

I've never experienced that. Always been great for me.

web browsing is very poor (even using WiFi, which it keeps dropping connections),

It's my favourite thing on the phone but generally I use 3.5G. A lot depends on which service provider you are with though. I use web and walk daily. Download opera mini for the best browser experience.

i still cant get the driver for the cable so i cant sync with the Lappy outlook, so all in all i am a bit disappointed in the N95.

Again that also works for me no problems. Are you talking about the 8 gig or the N95?

On the other hand i got a touch (NOT an iPhone) for Xmas and am so chuffed with it i am seriously thinking of trading in the N95 for one.

Col.

Fair enough but I can't stand a phone that is difficult to use with one hand.

My N95 8GB needs a charge maybe twice a week with normal phone use, bit of browsing, using it as an mp3 player for 25 mins a day. I only find that heavy browsing or use of GPS and watching films really hammers it. Saying that, I have fully charged it, travelled for 8 hours, watched 2 movies, browsed and listened to music for the rest of the time and the battery has lasted. I hear the original N95 is really poor in terms of the battery.

It comes with Nokia maps, but you need to pay a sub if you want voice navigation. You can get TomTom for symbian os, but not used it myself. The N95 8GB is by far the best phone I have had.

• 4 weeks later...

I've switched to an iPhone from a BBerry and have a few observations:

- Phone call quality is dreadful to the point of be unsuable for business. i have lived in the same apartment on Manhattan for 3 years and have used a Blackberry for phone calls without much problem. With the iPhone one in three calls is dropped or is difficult to hear. I've gone back to Apple who have replaced the phone three times to see if it improves but acknowledge its a frequently reported issue.

- Battery life is awful and yesterday the battery died after 6 hours of having it in my pocket not being used. Today I've turned off all the location based and push functions to see if it will maintain a charge longer... but its still losing power quite quickly. 3G has come too soon for mobile devices in my opinion; we don't have small enough, affordable mobile batteries that can support the demand for power.

- No copy and paste. This might seem like a minor trivial item to bring up but I often find myself stuck wanting to email, SMS or share information in mulitple formats without having to retype it - e.g. address of restaurants or names etc.

- Unable to open multiple apps simultaneously. If I'm calling home in the UK and want to use a calling card, I'm not able to open a contact number in my addressbook, type it into the keypad on the phone and switch back again to get the rest of the number or switch back and forth between the map or an email to type in directions etc.

- $1 for ringtones of songs I already own?!?!

- Camera quality is poor. My BBerry had a flash, ability to zoom before taking a pic and decent image quality.

- MMS is less of an issue for me as I'll email the image instead.

Summary; iPhone is a great toy phone with some great tricks.

My N95 8GB needs a charge maybe twice a week with normal phone use, bit of browsing, using it as an mp3 player for 25 mins a day. I only find that heavy browsing or use of GPS and watching films really hammers it. Saying that, I have fully charged it, travelled for 8 hours, watched 2 movies, browsed and listened to music for the rest of the time and the battery has lasted. I hear the original N95 is really poor in terms of the battery.

It comes with Nokia maps, but you need to pay a sub if you want voice navigation. You can get TomTom for symbian os, but not used it myself. The N95 8GB is by far the best phone I have had.

If you know where to look you can get the voice navigation for free. IMO the N96 8GB is a vastly superior mobile for a number of reasons, a few of which are listed by other people. It's why I use my touch for music and occassional web browsing and my N95 for everything else. If nothing else it means I can conserve battery on both devices so they last a lot longer.

There is no other phone worth owning that the iPhone, I'm utterly convinced of that having used mine for nearly 2 weeks now. The sheer range of apps available in the apps store expands the phones capabilities to match anything else on the market, and the weight of companies engaged in iphone development also show the industry believe that the iPhone is the device of choice

There is no other phone worth owning that the iPhone, I'm utterly convinced of that having used mine for nearly 2 weeks now. The sheer range of apps available in the apps store expands the phones capabilities to match anything else on the market, and the weight of companies engaged in iphone development also show the industry believe that the iPhone is the device of choice

Fanboi :D

and the weight of companies engaged in iphone development also show the industry believe that the iPhone is the device of choice

Baj... come on. Whilst I dont agree or disagree with the rest of your points (Ive only played with a iPhone once, was good but I simply prefer the 1 hand OS of Symbian), but this is a terrible justification. The companies that have waded in with apps for the iPhone are in no way a pointer for how good the device is, simple a marker of how much it (the phone) has sold and how much these 3rd parties can see a room for profit. It could be worst product in history, but with correct marketing it can sell millions and therefore persuade 3rd parties to bring their add-ons to market for profit.

Baj... come on. Whilst I dont agree or disagree with the rest of your points (Ive only played with a iPhone once, was good but I simply prefer the 1 hand OS of Symbian), but this is a terrible justification. The companies that have waded in with apps for the iPhone are in no way a pointer for how good the device is, simple a marker of how much it (the phone) has sold and how much these 3rd parties can see a room for profit. It could be worst product in history, but with correct marketing it can sell millions and therefore persuade 3rd parties to bring their add-ons to market for profit.

It wasn't a justification, pancake, my point was that it's an excellent phone, the take up is huge and it support from 3rd parties will continue to grow. It's not selling by the bucket loads because it's a **** phone with good marketing, for once we have an excellent product, with excellent marketing, supported by the industry. The benefit of the thousands of apps extends the functionality of the phone, it doesn't simply add silly little pieces of code you will never use.

The comment "device of choice" is no different from saying the DS is the device of choice, it has mass consumer take up, therefore will be developed for.

It wasn't a justification, pancake, my point was that it's an excellent phone, the take up is huge and it support from 3rd parties will continue to grow. It's not selling by the bucket loads because it's a **** phone with good marketing, for once we have an excellent product, with excellent marketing, supported by the industry. The benefit of the thousands of apps extends the functionality of the phone, it doesn't simply add silly little pieces of code you will never use.

The comment "device of choice" is no different from saying the DS is the device of choice, it has mass consumer take up, therefore will be developed for.

Yes mate, fully agree with all you have put there (with the caveat being I dont own an iPhone but I know with one love it).

The point you make about the DS is really what I was trying (badly it seems) to get at. The DS is the device of choice due to market sector dominance, but that doesnt mean it better overall than the PSP.

Lol what a load of rubbish. Typically blinkered apple view

Lol what a load of rubbish. Typically blinkered apple view

Yes... perhaps you need to read the thread from the top again, the bit where I point out I'm open to both phones, the bit before I had made my decision.

Yes... perhaps you need to read the thread from the top again, the bit where I point out I'm open to both phones, the bit before I had made my decision.

So you've used every phone then before arriving at the decision that the iphone is the only one worth having?

Jesus Christ guys, its a ****ing phone... why are you getting so het up? OK, so Baj chose to go the path of Mac rather than Nokia, does it really matter? Even Baj himself says that he considered other phone and now, AFTRE USING THE iPHONE FOR 2 WEEKS, feel that HE personally made the right decision.

He wasnt saying the Nokia N-whatever is bad, he wasnt saying you should all buy a iPhone on pain on death.

FFS, ****ing fanboys on Saints Web get on my tits, not matter what teh subject is, be it phone, PCs, consoles, managers, chairmen, players, cars, music... there is always some fanboy that acts like a prepubesent turd...

So you've used every phone then before arriving at the decision that the iphone is the only one worth having?

No, only the two I was interested in, the curve and the iphone. I was convinced to get the iphone after

a) I realised the camera was no-where near as bad as everyone says.

b) The email integration is seemless and easily on par with the blackberry

c) The support of 3rd party applications was FAR more on the iPhone, which will help cover future usage

d) Of course, it integrates with my macbook perfectly

e) PROPER web browser (but see point c below)

I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, the BB is a close second. I get particularly annoyed by

a) It's 1 application process rules, tho as I am now a developer for the iPhone, I can see that this was integral to allowing 3rd party apps to work easier, however, still doesnt explain why they couldnt make their OWN apps multitask.

b) Lack of flash on the camera.

c) Lack of flash... support for web browser, particularly as this will probably never be addressed.

So there you have it, for all those that think I waded in without thinking, I didnt, after all, that was the point of this thread in the first place.