Live music in Oxford?

hamster

I know that this should probably be in the Pubs forum but I have left it a bit late and would like as many suggestions as poss please?

I will be taking Mrs hamster up the A34 this weekend as a Valentine treat. We want to see some decent live pub music on Saturday night, City Centre or norhern side preferred.

Either I am crap a t Google, or Google is crap, but either way, I can't find anything that tickles my fancy. Preference would be something folky, but anything considered as long a swe can talk to each other and not have our ear drums ruptured.

TIA

PS

Same for Salisbury for my birthday weekend in March would also be apppreciated too please?

The O2 Academy (formerly Zodiac club) on Cowley Road has a lot of bands on and there are usually tickets on the night available, unless they're a big name band.

Actually, scratch that, it's a special Valentine's Day DJ night on Saturday, I just looked.

Try the Wheatsheaf down an alley way off the highstreet. Near to carfax and cornmarket street. If you cant find it just ask someone.

My mates band has played there a few times. Not sure if it will be folky over the weekend but it will be guitar based at least!

O'Neils on George Steet normally has a band too.

Fedback time.

Good start, bad middle, GREAT end.

Did a mini pub crawl in the afternoon including a reccy of the Wheatsheaf, they had 3 bands lined up, so we planned around that. Managed to get a table booked at the Mitre (across the road) and went back to hotel to freshen up (;)).

Service was so slow at the Shi-ter (as it shall henceforth be referred), that we skipped starters and pudding, but still didn't get out of the place until half ten! First time in years that I have not tipped at a restaurant.

Decided not to squeeze into the upstairs bar to catch the end of the gig, instead plumped for a couple of beers in the downstairs main bar. Bloody brilliant. I don't know what time they chucked us out, but I managed to work my way through the 'guest ales', whilst Mrs H showed off her knowledge of wine by downing a bottle of "anything, as long a s it's white".

What made it so good was the customers, what a mental bunch, punks, grebos, rockabillies, you name it they were in there, even saw a couple of students. Should mention that we were done up to the nines Mrs H Little Black Dresss, moi in my new Italian whistle. can't quite put into words how weird it felt to have people with purple hair and pierced evrythings giving us strange looks. One bloke leant over to talk to me, and when I leant forward to answer him, he fell backwards and chucked his pint over the girl next to him. I laughed, she laughed, he laughed and promptly fell over again, he left pub(proper lolage).

The jukebox was brilliant too. Everything you could ever want, from Deep Purple to Ian Dury and everyone seemed to know all the words.

So thanks for the sugestions especially richie. Great pub, great beer, great people, great night. And of course Mrs H 'enjoyed' my company. ;)

Edited by hamster