Some thoughts on the Olympic Games

Alf Tupper

Before it all started, I thought - this is going to be a bloody great yawn, and I happy to say that I was wrong.

But why are our athletes so damn awful. Sombody will run a PB and come dead last in the first heat, so whay is that person there?

And why has it occurred to nobody that there are simply far too many swimming events? It's no coincidence that the two athletes with the most gold medals in history, Phelps and Spitz, are both swimmers. Not surprising, when they can do the 100 metres freestyle, the 100 metres freestyle with their eyes shut, the 200 metres freestyle with their fingers crossed, the 200 metres while ordering a pint of lager ... and then there's all the other strokes. You get my drift. They could quite easily do the same thing with cycling or rowing or sailing. Why don't they? Why is there no cycling event for tandems, or for bikes with one of those little kiddy seats on the back? Or unicycles? And why is there show-jumping? Every other event involves people, so why is this one discipline open to animals? If animals are to be admitted, what about dog-sledding, pigeon-racing, horse racing, snail derbies etc.?

Let's face it. If running around on a big mat waving a bit of ribbon about is a sport, then just about anything can be. I intend to compete for the sitting in front of the box eating crisps and drinking lots of booze in 2012. I have started training and my PB will not put me in last place.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Well said, Alf. Myself, I'm going for something a little more energetic than you. I am in training for two sports, the Marathon pub crawl and an endurance race (similar to the Triathlon) spending as many nights in a row out drinking, then eating a carry out, then drinking again at home.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Hmmm. I suppose I could do something like that as well. A night on the Ale, then Lager, then Cider, Vodka and Red Bull, ****tails. Eight Golds? That's just the first week...

Before it all started, I thought - this is going to be a bloody great yawn, and I happy to say that I was wrong.

But why are our athletes so damn awful. Sombody will run a PB and come dead last in the first heat, so whay is that person there?

And why has it occurred to nobody that there are simply far too many swimming events? It's no coincidence that the two athletes with the most gold medals in history, Phelps and Spitz, are both swimmers. Not surprising, when they can do the 100 metres freestyle, the 100 metres freestyle with their eyes shut, the 200 metres freestyle with their fingers crossed, the 200 metres while ordering a pint of lager ... and then there's all the other strokes. You get my drift. They could quite easily do the same thing with cycling or rowing or sailing. Why don't they? Why is there no cycling event for tandems, or for bikes with one of those little kiddy seats on the back? Or unicycles? And why is there show-jumping? Every other event involves people, so why is this one discipline open to animals? If animals are to be admitted, what about dog-sledding, pigeon-racing, horse racing, snail derbies etc.?

Let's face it. If running around on a big mat waving a bit of ribbon about is a sport, then just about anything can be. I intend to compete for the sitting in front of the box eating crisps and drinking lots of booze in 2012. I have started training and my PB will not put me in last place.

We do still have an Olympic forum I believe, but I suppose you wanted to get a general view. I also think you've been listening to Michael Johnson on the Beeb, because he has been saying some of the very things you are about the swimming events.

There are a fair few odd sports and event categories in the Olympics that I wouldn't include, and some I'd add, if I had the power of decision. The cyclists for instance, don't have all their events in the Olympics, especially the women. I don't know why, but the women have as full a programme as the men, where incidentally British Cycling is just as dominant, but not at the Games.

Write to the IOC and get it changed for London 2012. ;)

Btw, I agree, it sure wasn't a yawn.