Too Cheap

andrew0101

I think 10 pounds for one year or 15 for 2 might have been quite fair.

But if 5 pounds covers the funds needed then that's good. It's a bit sad that the donations didn't make that much though. I'd have thought members could have all given 5 quid easily enough anyway.

they probably could have done so yes, but as no-one asked.........

they probably could have done so yes, but as no-one asked.........

I believe that in the early days of TSF some mention was made of donations. Some people did. Others, like me, never bothered themselves (for many varied reasons) and just left it. This action of 'charging', if one could call it that, has gelded this lazy bum into action!

Maybe a liitle more would not have gone amiss? Who knows? I think the cost has been carefully thought out so as not to make it too expensive and therefore bite the hand that feeds.

I quite like the idea of £10 for a year with £15 for two!

We have no intention of turning over a decent profit, mainly because of the grief that would bring from the sceptical. We always planned on turning over a small operating profit in the order of a couple of hundred quid, and that remains the plan. Any profit generated will be put back into the business.

Charging £10 wasnt necessary, £5 we felt was a fair amount, enough to put off the re-registerees and enough that everyone could afford it... also if I was you lot, I probably wouldnt pay £10, i feel personally that £5 is right

I believe that in the early days of TSF some mention was made of donations. Some people did. Others, like me, never bothered themselves (for many varied reasons) and just left it. This action of 'charging', if one could call it that, has gelded this lazy bum into action!

Maybe a liitle more would not have gone amiss? Who knows? I think the cost has been carefully thought out so as not to make it too expensive and therefore bite the hand that feeds.

I quite like the idea of £10 for a year with £15 for two!

Gelded?

:o

I've just wasted 30 minutes of my life trying to give £5 to this site.

I've given £20 to planetswans this year via cc/paypal without requiring a paypal account.

This time I have to create an account and the payment terms seem to imply £5 can be taken from my cc in future without my consent.

I don't know if that is a paypal thing or the way the admins set the page up, but NO THANKS.

It took me longer to unwind that than to initiate it.

My goodwill is all used up. I'll put up with the adverts.

Harrumph. :(

Can you let tommac back?

Him and scooby alone are worth the £5.

Maybe we can have a popularity vote where the fully registered posters can vote on the 3-posts a day posters and the winner gets an free week on SW? It encourages good behaviour and it would give them a taste of what its like to have unlimited posts.:D:rolleyes:

This time I have to create an account and the payment terms seem to imply £5 can be taken from my cc in future without my consent.

You shouldn't need to create a PayPal account... when you get to the PayPal page, you'll see the following:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12&d=1218451561

Click the link I've highlighted in the red box and you shouldn't have to create an account.

Also, the subscription thing is (unfortunately) a "feature" of the paid subscriptions module on vBulletin which we can't turn off. What PayPal does is take the £5 payment and then creates a recurring subscription. You (and anyone else) are welcome to cancel the recurring subscription if you wish. I don't know if the forum automatically reminds users that their subscription is about to end via a private message or e-mail, so in a year's time you may find that, if you've not got the recurring subscription set up, your SaintsWeb account simply reverts back to a standard Registered User account rather than a Full Member account.

Hope that clarifies things a bit better.

PS. You could always circumvent PayPal completely by doing a bank transfer.