Some ideas please

tombletomble

This is not PC releated but seemed the most relevant place to post.

I have a crt TV that is about 6 years old. I've never had any problems with it until yesterday. I had it on in the morning and it was working fine. I turned it off for a few hours and then when I went to turn it on, nothing happened. There is no noise and the stand by light does not come on.

I don't have much money and don't want to go and buy a new set. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong with it and if there's any way of fixing it without spending too much money.

Cheers in advance of any suggestions.

If it is dead then eBay is a very good place to aquire another CRT monitor. Many people ditched their old bulky CRT's for flat screen monitors & if you look on there for pick-up only in the Bristol area - you'll be amazed at how cheap you can replace your faulty one. Again - a lot of people have now gone down the laptop route & have a cheap CRT (even TFT) monitor going spare.

I've had several CRT's over the years that die and I've no idea to this day why. Anyone in the business of selling/fixing them will tell you it's not worth repairing it.

Try eBay "pick-up only" in Bristol. My guess is you'll be pleasantly surprised!

If it is dead then eBay is a very good place to aquire another CRT monitor. Many people ditched their old bulky CRT's for flat screen monitors & if you look on there for pick-up only in the Bristol area - you'll be amazed at how cheap you can replace your faulty one. Again - a lot of people have now gone down the laptop route & have a cheap CRT (even TFT) monitor going spare.

I've had several CRT's over the years that die and I've no idea to this day why. Anyone in the business of selling/fixing them will tell you it's not worth repairing it.

Try eBay "pick-up only" in Bristol. My guess is you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Very helpful advice but he is talking about his television. ;)

What make is your TV..?

I recently fixed a TV which had a faulty on-off switch. The chassis had been an earlier design and the exterior had been a face-lift. This meant that the on-off button was now placed slightly off the old spot. So the manufacturer had devised a kinked switch, which failed. I Araldite'd the switch back together, and beefed it up in the process. It now works again, and the TV is fine.

Don't overlook the simple things. ;)