Hampshire CCC 2017 Season

Weston Saint

Not a bad day all in all after a bit of a sticky start. 351/8 at Stumps, that's our first 4 batting points of the season is it not ?

Good knock from Bailey, solid support from others and a bit of an Abbott blast to wake up the crowd towards the end. Could make 400 if Abbott hangs around for say 15 overs tomorrow.

2nd over of the day. 1st ball Vilas dropped at slip (not easy) off Taylor. Next ball dropped at mid on by Carberry (easier).

Really, annoying that then. In fact really annoying. Lancs are scoring quite quickly now off all of our bowlers and could easily be 250 or so ahead by stumps today. That might not be so good for us tomorrow given the seeming fragility of our openers.

Edited by Window Cleaner

3/2 second dig, Roussow fails again (first ball) - real shame that he is getting in ahead of Alsop given his current form

And there was I thinking up until mid-afternoon that a draw was pretty certain. Still we've got points on the board already and Yorks have already lost and Warks aren't looking great, should finish at least mid-table. Rossouw is having to bat in the first few overs every time because our openers are a bit fragile. If one bats well you can count on the other one getting out fr not many.

Problem definitely needs adressing for next season, 2 fresh openers. Not even that, both openers gone and we're 15/3.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Just don't understand it, we really struggled to get Lancs out with one of our bowlers conceding 180 runs off of 40 overs and now we're 26/4.

WTF has happened here.

PS Any rain about...:?

Yes rain prevented play as Hampshire started their innings

Anderson is a great bowler in these conditions I expect it is muggy and the ball is swinging

Well we obviously need more rain and less muggy conditions then.

Forecast for the morning suggests overcast and humid, so put money on an inning defeat by lunchtime.

The only saving grace for me is that being Lancs v Hants this is my 'cannot lose' game.

Forecast for the morning suggests overcast and humid, so put money on an inning defeat by lunchtime.

The only saving grace for me is that being Lancs v Hants this is my 'cannot lose' game.

Haven't lost yet but we surely will, that collapse to 50/5 or whatever yesterday afty will cost us 5 points, pity.

Oops, spoke too soon, all out 30 short of making them bat again.

Edited by Window Cleaner

First experience of watching pink ball cricket and so far I am not impressed.

Ball had to be changed after 20 overs as it had gone out of shape. Saw it at the end of the day.

As the ball got older than about 60 overs I could no longer pick it out in the field. Saw it well when new ball taken.

Overton said he was not enjoying it. Game a bit flat. Dawson said it was like hitting a piece of soap. Very slow when going across the outfield.

Had the advantage of examining all three balls after the end of Hampshires innings. Not impressed.

As for the game.....well lets see what Somerset do in reply. Survived a tricky 6 overs before the close.

To answer Dark Munster's question Rossouw scores since he came back from injury first class only - 0, 0, 0, 13, 17, 4, 0, 0

Thanks WS. That's an appalling run, and surely would've been dropped if he was English. Weird declaration, but due to the pink ball no doubt.

Lose this one and we're in a relegation fight (along with half of the teams). Warks look doomed, but it's hard to pick who else is going down. Somerset have had a bad start, but they almost won the league last season.

So much for encouraging people to turn up after work. Friends went to the pavilion to get a meal during the interval, only to be told they had stopped serving at 6 pm. :mcinnes:

None of the usual food outlets in the outer were open either. Cant imagine that was the case in the posh seats. Eh, Weston?

So much for encouraging people to turn up after work. Friends went to the pavilion to get a meal during the interval, only to be told they had stopped serving at 6 pm. :mcinnes:

None of the usual food outlets in the outer were open either. Cant imagine that was the case in the posh seats. Eh, Weston?

Thing is, who is going to turn up after work? If it was at Northlands fair enough, I might have popped down myself. But unless you work at Whiteley I can't see many people battling down the M27. It'll probably work for the London Clubs, and any based in City Centres. I get we had to move grounds..but I just can't face going to that place. I still get a bit sad everytime I pass Northlands Road!

Was also told no food at the 6.40 interval (we would have tea and a slice of cake at that time in day cricket) but chef agreed to stay on to accomodate us.

Will mention it to the Directors or Rod when I see them next. Hardly encourages after work walk up!

Was also told no food at the 6.40 interval (we would have tea and a slice of cake at that time in day cricket) but chef agreed to stay on to accomodate us.

Will mention it to the Directors or Rod when I see them next. Hardly encourages after work walk up!

I'll tell you what we did in the Eighties...We took F*cking sandwiches...in silver foil. Bloody hell we used to win wars in this country! :)

Seeing as pink ball cricket was a bit of an unknown I do wonder if choosing to bat first was the wisest thing around.

Our bowling seems more consistent than our batting just now and we could have let them find out the pitfalls first.

Rain was forecast for later today and tomorrow.

Have to say I'm very very disappointed with the way the club is currently being run. We have got an exceptional young batsman in Tom Alsop. He can't get a game and that is only going to be killing his confidence. Then there is Rousouw, who appears to be undroppable.

The recruitment should be English players with ambitions to play for England. Surrey (who I am aware have more pulling power than us) have got exactly the right idea. Stoneman was a player we should have paid the Rousouw money to.

Have to say I'm very very disappointed with the way the club is currently being run. We have got an exceptional young batsman in Tom Alsop. He can't get a game and that is only going to be killing his confidence.

He hasn't been scoring in the 2nd XI which is why they gave Holland a chance first. Alsop has merely carried on his form from the winter when he hardly got a run for the England Lions.

Have to say I'm very very disappointed with the way the club is currently being run. We have got an exceptional young batsman in Tom Alsop. He can't get a game and that is only going to be killing his confidence. Then there is Rousouw, who appears to be undroppable.

The recruitment should be English players with ambitions to play for England. Surrey (who I am aware have more pulling power than us) have got exactly the right idea. Stoneman was a player we should have paid the Rousouw money to.

Surrey have pulled off a master stroke in signing Sangakkara, perhaps we could have got him instead eh....

Playing again but by the looks of it losing a day and a half or so to rain might be a bit of a boon.

Back to our can't bat/can't bowl configuration again !!

Hah, gets us a wicket every time, you know like going to the beer tent or going for a slash.

Crikey, Holland is on fire.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Interesting last days play.

Do they declare so we can knock of a quick 140 in 3 hours given them a chase of 220?

Would be good but I don't see it happening. They need the win points far more than us and I really don't see us giving them much of a chance to get them. Draw, Hants 9 points, Somerset 8.

If we can get to around 250 with 2 sessions to play, it could be game one.

Not sure what we've learnt about the pink ball (other than it was very hard to see on Monday night) as we've not seen a great deal of cricket.

Looking at other scores it appears to be a mixed bag with Surrey and Essex scoring over 500. A lot more practice needed before I Ashes.

If we can get to around 250 with 2 sessions to play, it could be game one.

Not sure what we've learnt about the pink ball (other than it was very hard to see on Monday night) as we've not seen a great deal of cricket.

Looking at other scores it appears to be a mixed bag with Surrey and Essex scoring over 500. A lot more practice needed before I Ashes.

But scoring on this wicket with these balls is not easy. We're at 2 an over today, Monday at about 2.5 and Somerset were at about the same rate. As Dawson said, it's like hitting a bar of soap.

Really not great again the batting today. We now need to shut up shop, straight bat everything and wait for the close.

Batsmen seem to get in, try to force the pace and get out when they do. Just need to let it go because if Somerset get their tails up we're not in a great position with a fair few overs left. And it gets worse, Vince went for a big heave I presume and got caught, Bailey then run out next ball.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Or even declare 160 ahead! Don't think there's enough time though.

That would be playing with fire. It would only need one big hitter to get fixed and we'd be toast.

Sometimes you just need to settle for what you have, ie 9 points. No-one else will win either and we'll not win the Championship anyway.

Cripes, didn't realise we'd actually declared..an got a wicket to boot.

That would be playing with fire. It would only need one big hitter to get fixed and we'd be toast.

Sometimes you just need to settle for what you have, ie 9 points. No-one else will win either and we'll not win the Championship anyway.

Too late!

Good win against Glamorgan on Friday and great to see McManus starring.

Amazing stat I heard-McManus' 59 is the 2nd highest score from a Hampshire wicketkeeper in T20 history

Was a great little knock but without Afridi's 4 wickets we may have been in difficulty. Our innings seemed to get lost in the middle a bit, pretty good start, lost wickets quickly and then progressed in singles until McManus shook it up a bit.