Everton post match meltdown.

Rory Peepa

Can't play possession football with a keeper like Forster. Pep surely knows.

Can't play possession football when you are scared of the closing down.

I'm affraid this team isn't really suited for it yet.

Too many times there was time and space to go forward, and they pass sideways o backwards until they reach Forster. Then he hoofs it and we lose the ball. Frustrating.

From what I see we don't need a striker. We badly need a physically strong box to box type of midfielder.

This captures the team's problems pretty well. We're a possession-based team who are scared of being pressed, and it shows in our absolute inability to create chances. When we have the ball, we tend to play it around at the back for fear of someone giving it away, and when we're pressed we just send it back to Forster, who is expected to give it away most of the time, so that's okay. Spurs put us under sustained pressure for periods of five or ten minutes at a time, and even Everton managed it once they improved the quality of balls into Lukaku. I know we've had a few games where we've torn out of the blocks early and put opponents under pressure, but when was the last time we really camped out on the edge of the area the way other teams are doing to us at the moment? We just don't seem to have the nerve or technique for it.

|The players rightly or wrongly simply dont want to Play for Puel or have any confidence in his skills & Strategies, I have seen nothing that says he is the man that can lead saints forward, its time for a change but the board definitely wont sack him hed have to walk on his own accord! can't see that with the money hes on

another pathetic attacking display

2 shots on target for this one.

Why Boufal was 'rotated' out is a mystery

what gets me, we look very unfit. that just cannot be right.

nothing has changed for me, I could see early on that Puel was not right for us and it seems, as the season goes on, he is working what was good we had OUT of the side.

crap tactics and team selections. We have one of the most expensively assembled squads in Europe. WTF!?!?!

Team has given up on Manager, Manager can't put team in position to win games.

No doubt the squad should be better (Reed and Wilson take the flack for that) but Puel is not managing these players well - he is not getting the most out of them and they are clearly frustrated by him and that is showing in their performances.

So, poor recruitment + poor Manager = what we see right now.

Seen this at other clubs who are headed in the wrong direction. Time for a change if we want to push on. If they keep Puel until the summer we won't go down but everything will be poor for the last half of this season. Up to the Board...

Fodder. 9-2 over the Christmas period. Can't score and can't defend.

TBH i wasn't expecting much from these games bar a home win against WBA but this has been a disaster which just keeps getting worse. Whoever is in charge of recruitment and the black box please just retire.

Weren't people calling for Koeman's head at this time last season? If we can finish top half that's a respectable season this year.

Yup, this time last year we lost 1-0 at Norwich, in what was arguably a worse performance than this one. And I was in the Koeman Out camp.

We need new players.

We have really gone down hill recently

A bad run of results in the Prem for anyone bar the top 6 is understandable

However collectively we look completely out of sorts and devoid of ideas and team spirit

I think this is damage limitation now

Forget about the cups and concentrate on staying in the Prem.

I can forsee meltdown occurring

So glad we got the results against Bournemouth, Everton and Boro

The festive pile up is an absolute disgrace and the TV companies and PL should hang their heads in shame. That said it's a woeful return. We have seemingly zero nous about how to grind out results against physical, cynical sides yet the quick passing, rapid attacking side of the game has gone as well. I can't see how Goodison is the right venue to be playing young, inexperienced players. I'm all for blooding young talent but I'm not sure throwing them in at the deep end is very helpful. It's going to be a sleep and worrying crawl to 40 points as we creep down the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, really, really poor period. I'm still confused as to how we played as well as we did at Bournemouth, that seemingly looks like the odd one out as we've reverted to type since. The worry is that we play this passive protective game in order to remain compact, but we're now starting to ship goals at an alarming rate as well as still not scoring any.

We've got too many players out of form right now. Redmond looks shot, the manager scored a complete OG with him at the start of the season. Romeu looks absolutely dead on his feet (no surprise there). I must admit, in previous season we've had spells like this (this time last year was just as bad) but I've always looked at the manager/coaching staff and have felt that they won't let this dip any further, you always felt that. I just don't get that same feeling now, I cannot see where the inspiration is going to come from.

Of course we were going to have a season like this eventually, we've had improved finishes for years - it was going to end at some point, but it seems to be ending in very limp fashion. I've never been so bored watching us and I've never been less interested in listening to our managers post or pre-match stuff, I cannot bring myself to listen to him.

As a club we don't panic or react based on a few results, so I don't expect Claude to be going anytime soon - but he needs a good January and we're dying for someone to come in and light up our season as it's really never got going.

Poor tactics, lack of confidence, lack of any attacking talent, no leadership.

Haven't replaced Pelle/Mane. But...

Puel takes a lot of blame for changing a winning formula with his negative tactics and constant rotation. Not good enough for me. Time to go.

Very disappointing.

Conceding 9 goals in 3 games & 6 days is awful.

If the stories of about a dressing room fall out are true then we have big problems. I want to give Puel a chance, but the dull, predictable & pedestrian football we play is not attractive to watch.

Problem is I don't know what the alternative is??

Fonts today after the 3rd, VVD last game & no Bertrand today suggests something is wrong.........

Just watching the goals back now...

1st - Our entire defence ball-watching and 3 Everton players left unmarked in the area.

2nd - Ridiculous challenge from Yoshida, was only ever going to go one way and we have a keeper that doesn't save penalties

3rd - Fonte switched off and allowed himself to be dispossessed when Everton had numbers forward. Good finish, but anything at Forster's near post seems to go in.

Can anybody please exlpain to me how this is the manager's fault? The shape and tactics were OK today, what was lacking was any quality going forward to punish Everton when they looked vulnerable.

Redmond is a total waste of space and can't score/create a single thing.

Tadic has quality but is badly out of form right now

Rodriguez didn't get much service and nearly scored a brillianbt indiviudal goal in the first half, but that was the extent of our goal threat.

JWP and Clasie never offer anything in terms of attack

Boufal only had 20 minutes and didn't get any decent service

Long has the ball skills of a pub league player and is only effective when the opposition is playing a high defensive line, which Everton weren't all game, let alone after going ahead.

Changes needed in the playing staff, but to sack the manager now would be a wrong move IMO.

Weren't people calling for Koeman's head at this time last season? If we can finish top half that's a respectable season this year.

This time last year the performance at Norwich was far far worse than today.

For 70 mins we were OK. Lukaku then started to get it into feet & bully our centre halves. Swap him over with JRod and we'd have won. Personally I didn't think it was too bad until that point. Fonte & Yoshida clearly at fault for 2 and 3 goals. Score line flattered them , but that's the way it goes when you're on a poor run.

This is a "Puel" side now, his tactics, his personality in the side and the Clubs selling mentality.

I fear that our fairly good start to the season was more due to the team playing more our old way than the Puel way which pushed us up the league. He will drop us down the league if he stays til the end of Jan.

The only good thing is that the bottom 3 cannot win either.

Wish the board would act fast for once, get someone in sooner rather than later.... they have time to get something from the season! question is who & why would they want to come here! the board will stick with puel till its too late to make a change anyway :(

The players know that once we concede, it's over.

Yep. Another good reason to get a striker in - fire the squad up and get some belief back.

what gets me, we look very unfit. that just cannot be right.

It can when you play three games in six days, including two games in three, no matter the rotation. We can't treat this as if we've lost on three consecutive Saturdays.

Getting out of the congested fixtures won't fix our problems but my god will it help. Shame the last flurry of games involves a League Cup semi-final.

Edited by DuncanRG

I'll put some money down on Puel to be the next Manager out. That'll sort the form out.

We all know the board likes to make a bit of money. Why not bet all the profits of the last three summer transfer windows on Puel being the next manager to be sacked? Get it done.

Wish the board would act fast for once, get someone in sooner rather than later.... they have time to get something from the season! question is who & why would they want to come here! the board will stick with puel till its too late to make a change anyway :(

Getting rid of puel now would be an admission of failure. I can't see them doing that.

Having watched it on Streaming I felt it was an even game until the 75th minute. We had good chances to score. We just lost our composure in the last 10 minutes.

We need a break to be honest. Having lost Soares we were then down to 3 second choice back 4 and one was out of position. I am not in meltdown but feel we were one team that just suffered from the fixture congestion more than most.

We matched them, or were better, for 60 mins. Then retreated. After we went behind, no conviction, no determination. First Saints game I've left early for 10 years.

The team is not bad. The manager is now questionable. Confidence is rock bottom.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

So? Perhaps we've not recruited well enough and overpaid for mediocrity. That's Reed and Wilson's responsibility, not Puel's.

Exactly. We need to be asking questions of the entire recruitment department. And they need to back the manager in this transfer window, not hang him out to dry for the rest of the season.

God this is a depressing phase, any hope before Christmas has been dashed by the last three games.

Trouble is, I'm not sure there is one obvious fault. It would be easy to blame Puel (and I have to say, why would he pick JWP & Clasie when everyone can see it doesn't work?) but we also seem to be way short of good players. Complacency and/or poor organisation in the summer to get what we needed in.

This very month in 1957 A mate and I caught the Hythe Ferry (I was a Matelot at HMS.Diligence)and worked our way up to the Dell.For the past sixty years I have supported the Saints through thick and thin.I will continue to support my team irrespective of results but at the present moment in time I am bitterly disappointed with the non-events that this bunch of journeymen participate in.I don't know how much longer we can survive this dross.I pity those poor buggers who paid hard earned money to travel to Everton.There has to be a better way than that which we currently play.Attacking football seems a past memory.

Rant over.

Wanyama replaced by Rom.

Mane replaced by Boufal.

Pelle replaced by Austin.

I'm not defending the sales/Reed, but the replacement of Pelle is the only one which I'd be unhappy about. The board, Puel, and the players all share an element of responsibility...but no one other than Puel can be held responsible for playing players who are totally unsuited to his 4-3-3 system. He needs to recognise the players A) aren't suited, or B) aren't good enough for said system, and adapt accordingly. You can't continually persist with something that is failing.

Everton supporters were getting on their backs so Saints contrive to give the ball away continuously, offer acres of space down our left and then hand the game to them. Something's seriously amiss at the club. The players just knew they'd lose once they went behind.

Hugely frustrating yet again.

It was a textbook away performance for the first 70 minutes then... bang... all the decent work goes to waste.

We're still on par with last season but....

The last five league games this season: W1 D1 L3 (4 points)

The last five league games this time last season: W1 D0 L4 (3 points)

The next five league games last season: W4 D1 L0 (13 points)

Are we about to turn the same corner or stumble along on the same path?

Our next 5 league games:

Burnley (A)

Leicester (H)

Swansea (A)

West Ham (H)

Sunderland (A)

A pivotal 5 - 6 weeks beckons...