Is the 'Black Box' working?

9-3

Add to it, failures of the last two managerial appointments arguably and it seems that the much hyped black box is in need of upgrading, I remember reading once that we had all our managerial targets lined up well in advance. Seems iffy that the only ones we appoint were both out of work and underwhelming.

Lemina and Hoedt look good players to me, so not too much wrong..

I am not sure Kane would score many goals for us..we play like England do and he isn't as prolific for England as he is for Spurs.

I think we have the players but either not the right formation or the right application.

Lemina and Hoedt look good players to me, so not too much wrong..

I am not sure Kane would score many goals for us..we play like England do and he isn't as prolific for England as he is for Spurs.

I think we have the players but either not the right formation or the right application.

That I think is our problem.

i love the idea of a 5 man defence, 2 attacking wingbacks with Lemina more attacking.

The only problem is who are the three players that can create us chances?

Forster

Cedric

Bertrand

Hooet

VVD

Yoshi

Lemina

Romeu

Gabby?

Tadic?

Davis?

This is the team we should be playing. Maybe the 'black box' can conjure up another forward to play with Gabbiadini 1fd1ecce74f588e9f38af8f7da1d0029.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

With a target man in place of Long, we would finally look like a team with some real physicality. Set pieces might even become worth having again. New guy, Vvd, Hoot, Yoshida and Romeu. Still not convinced by tadic though. Would like to see Boufal given a run but otherwise that team looks strong.

This is the team we should be playing. Maybe the 'black box' can conjure up another forward to play with Gabbiadini 1fd1ecce74f588e9f38af8f7da1d0029.jpg

This formation seems screamingly obvious with the players now at our disposal.

Maybe it's like the iPhone when once you've had a version for about 18 months and a new version gets released it starts going to sh*t. Think les needs to order the black box 7.

Perhaps Ralph and Nelly might also be looking to order an upgrade on Les also.

Add to it, failures of the last two managerial appointments arguably and it seems that the much hyped black box is in need of upgrading, I remember reading once that we had all our managerial targets lined up well in advance. Seems iffy that the only ones we appoint were both out of work and underwhelming.

I've no doubt it identifies some targets , in fact most of us on here could identify the managers to go for in the summer - Tuchel, Nagelsman, Schmidt, Emery if he becomes available - but what it does not seem to do is filter them into a shortlist who are prepared to come to us. Either that or those using the Box and doing the negotiating aren't particularly good at selling the vision anymore.

I've got a top of the range computer that has all the gizmos going, Ive no idea how to work it though, the same could be for those using the black box. To be fair there are some decent signings been made.

Surely the whole problem was that we haven't signed a forward

On the evidence of what I saw in the Austria - Serbia game, this is what I would play, though perhaps Austin instead of Long.

Why doesnt Mope see it ?

That I think is our problem.

i love the idea of a 5 man defence, 2 attacking wingbacks with Lemina more attacking.

The only problem is who are the three players that can create us chances?

Forster

Cedric

Bertrand

Hooet

VVD

Yoshi

Lemina

Romeu

Gabby?

Tadic?

Davis?

I'm probably in a minority of 1 here, but i don't get why everyone thinks the answer to our scoring drought is to play another defender.

I get we have loads of decent CBs, but that shouldn't mean that we have to force them into the team. Our full-backs are attacking enough playing in a back-four anyway, the problem is no creativity in the final third / firepower up front.

I'm probably in a minority of 1 here, but i don't get why everyone thinks the answer to our scoring drought is to play another defender.

I get we have loads of decent CBs, but that shouldn't mean that we have to force them into the team. Our full-backs are attacking enough playing in a back-four anyway, the problem is no creativity in the final third / firepower up front.

Tend to agree. When we've played it at home in the past it always seems we've got a wasted player at the back.

Yes, at Tottenham. We need to get him back.

Paul Mitchell left Tottenham, not sure where he is now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/13/tottenham-hotspur-paul-mitchell-recruitment-notice-period

We managed to keep Ross Wilson amid interest from Rangers, not sure we could have both - or could we?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/08/rangers-director-football-target-ross-wilson-stay-southampton/

The signings we've made the past couple of season's haven't come off quite as we'd have liked (Boufal, Redmond, PEH).

Paul Mitchell left Tottenham, not sure where he is now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/13/tottenham-hotspur-paul-mitchell-recruitment-notice-period

We managed to keep Ross Wilson amid interest from Rangers, not sure we could have both - or could we?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/08/rangers-director-football-target-ross-wilson-stay-southampton/

The signings we've made the past couple of season's haven't come off quite as we'd have liked (Boufal, Redmond, PEH).

You obviously didn't read the article you posted a link to. He's still at Tottenham. They are keeping him until the end of the notice period. That's when we should get him. The Black Box is just a room full of videos and data. It's the person who analyses it all who counts, and that was Paul Mitchell.

You obviously didn't read the article you posted a link to. He's still at Tottenham. They are keeping him until the end of the notice period. That's when we should get him. The Black Box is just a room full of videos and data. It's the person who analyses it all who counts, and that was Paul Mitchell.

It's incredible the reputetion this guy. Mitchell joined us in January 2012 leaving in November 2014, our signings when he was here were

Rodriguez

Davis

Clyne

Gazzaniga

Mayuka

Ramirez

Yoshida

Forren

Lovren

Osvaldo

Wanyama

Tadic

Pelle

Forster

Long

Mane

Gardos

Bertrand

Alderwierld

Mane and Lovren are probably the only one there you could say were successes based on him. Everyone knew the likes of Wanyama and Alderweirld were quality players, you don't need a super scout to tell you that, Clyne and Rodriguez were quality young players from the league we'd just come up from, again, you don't need a super scout to point them out. The likes of Tadic, Pelle would have been known to Koeman. Then you have the failures like Forren, Ramirez, Osvaldo and Mayuka, which if you're going to put the good signings down to him then he has to take the flack for them as well, after its him analyzes the data you say.

Likewise his record at spurs isn't that great. Pretty hit and miss, For every eric Dier there are the likes of Clinton N'Jie and Federico Fazio, who? Exactly.

He's got a massive reputetion amongst mongboarders with very little to actually back it up.

Apologies, the links were there to provide context and to move the debate on to talking about Head of Recruitment rather than the mythical black box. There had been no comment previously on this thread about either Mitchell or Wilson.

I read a different article and then couldn't find a link to it, he went on gardening leave in March, would have expected him to have been replaced by now, in which case he may well be available:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/10794585/paul-mitchell-finishes-work-for-tottenham-amid-rangers-interest

It's incredible the reputetion this guy. Mitchell joined us in January 2012 leaving in November 2014, our signings when he was here were

Rodriguez

Davis

Clyne

Gazzaniga

Mayuka

Ramirez

Yoshida

Forren

Lovren

Osvaldo

Wanyama

Tadic

Pelle

Forster

Long

Mane

Gardos

Bertrand

Alderwierld

Mane and Lovren are probably the only one there you could say were successes based on him. Everyone knew the likes of Wanyama and Alderweirld were quality players, you don't need a super scout to tell you that, Clyne and Rodriguez were quality young players from the league we'd just come up from, again, you don't need a super scout to point them out. The likes of Tadic, Pelle would have been known to Koeman. Then you have the failures like Forren, Ramirez, Osvaldo and Mayuka, which if you're going to put the good signings down to him then he has to take the flack for them as well, after its him analyzes the data you say.

Likewise his record at spurs isn't that great. Pretty hit and miss, For every eric Dier there are the likes of Clinton N'Jie and Federico Fazio, who? Exactly.

He's got a massive reputetion amongst mongboarders with very little to actually back it up.

That is a very impressive list. Add to that the fact that the signings made in the months immediately after he left would almost certainly have already been identified by Mitchell as well, then he was clearly one of the men most responsible for our success. He's worked the same magic at Tottenham. He'd be the ideal replacement for both Les Reed and Ross Wilson.

Far too negative, why on earth would you line up with 11 players facing your own goal?

Dont be stupid there not facing the wrong way - he's suggesting Forster up front with attacking support from Hoedt, VVD and Yoshi - did you not see his goal Vs Stoke

Its called a Plan B - They cant score any less goals than we've got with our current strikers