Hesketh and Flannigan join Burton Albion on loan

SuperSAINT

Got to be pleased for both. Hesketh is too good for U23 football & Flannigan has had a horrendous time with injuries.

Also free's up a couple of spaces in the youth teams. Flannigan's not featured much, but Hesketh starts every game so will be interesting to see who steps up.

I think Flannigan can be a very decent lower league footballer - if only his knees hold out.

Hesketh is 22 going on 12. Smaller players than him have succeeded, but he seems seriously hampered by his lack of physicality - at least in the games I've seen. It's a great pity as he's got an eye for a pass.

Hopefully a season of men's football can bring him on.

Good luck to the pair of them.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Would've thought Hesketh was better than that, but hopefully a run for them and he'll be ready for at least Championship next season.

I thought Flannigan was only being kept on for sentimental reasons after a serious of nasty injuries. Hope he does well too!

*puts on MLG hat* Actually OttawaSaint a clock is analogue whereas I posted in digital format.

John Boy Saint from the County Town of Pedantry in the Shires here............ but even a digital clock without a analogue display still has workings to make it work and tell you the time, so that's still clockwork because it makes the Clock Work.

:D

John Boy Saint from the County Town of Pedantry in the Shires here............ but even a digital clock without a analogue display still has workings to make it work and tell you the time, so that's still clockwork because it makes the Clock Work.

:D

It did occur to me but I figured **** it.

Maybe the physicality of League 1 can toughen Hesketh up a bit, and hopefully Flannigan can prove his fitness and get back on track. I would imagine it's the last chance saloon for Flannigan. If he doesn't succeed at Burton he will not get another contract from us.

I'd still like to see a few more go out. Obviously it's in everybody's interest for Forster to go somewhere, but possibly Slattery and one of either Johnson or Tella to find out if they can handle proper competitive games where they have to fight for a chance to play each week.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like he's developing quite well.

Nigel Clough says Jake Hesketh will be pushing for another Burton Albion start on Saturday after impressing in Tuesday's defeat to Southend United.

The Southampton loanee was named in Albion's starting XI for a League match for the first time against the Shrimpers, having played a key role in the recent Carabao Cup triumph over Burnley.

He was a constant attacking spark during a dominant first 45, stretching Southend on both flanks as he and David Templeton swapped wings.

One powerful drive from the left was brilliantly tipped onto the crossbar by Shrimpers goalkeeper Mark Oxley, and he curled another ambitious effort just wide after the break, when a flat Burton performance allowed Southend to battle back and win 2-1.

Still, Hesketh's display means he is likely to be competing with Marvin Sordell - who start Burton's first nine League games of the campaign - for a right-wing slot against Wycombe Wanderers this weekend.

"He was very good tonight, Jake," said Clough.

"It's a toss up between him and Marvin out there (Sordell was rested on the bench after being ill).

"But Jake did really well against Burnley. He's still building up, he's a bit short of match fitness so we didn't think he was right for Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday.

"He has done very well again tonight and he'll be in with a shout for playing on Saturday.

"I think he has improved, each game he's got a little bit better as he's settled in.

"He's only a young player without much football in the last couple of years, but he works his socks off.

"I think the supporters love the whole-heartedness of the way he plays.

"It's a nice contrast. We've got him on the right tonight and Temps (David Templeton) on the left who caused so many problems in the first half.

"It's all to no avail when you don't finish them off."

Source: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-cloughs-verdict-southampton-loanee-2068476

Being a part time Shrimper and watching their forum last night, the view on there was that he was the stand out Burton player, constant thorn in Sarf Ends side.

Good stuff. Slowly gotten himself into contention, playing well & getting fitter.

• 3 weeks later...

What a cracking goal. No one n our current line up would even think of taking this on............... it would have been played all the way back to the goalie after the first touch

Also puts to doubt the muppets who think they'd beat us easily. They really wouldn't, if we were to draw them in the cup we'd win with ease. We could name our reserves and still beat them.