Palace 1 Saints 0 - The end of the world?

Ohio Saint

Yep. I'm very disappointed. It seems we have found our level at the moment, eternal mid-table stalwarts.

It's not the fairy tale we were hoping for from the last few years.

Anyone else given up already on the league and just hoping for an FA Cup run?

Well Gazzaniga being Man of the Match by some distance is a surer harbinger of the apocalypse than seeing 4 blokes on multicoloured horses riding down the high street....

played alright

very poor as an attacking threat. again, slow, lots of hoofs and loads of shots off target

pretty average side now. be lucky to finish top half. Very lucky

Romeu was alright, Gazza my MoM

Long is crap, Mane is greedy but the whole attacking force seems to rely on him when we do not hoof it

pretty boring side these days.

two massively tough games coming up and we will have to be miles better

Weird tactics, weird selection and another poor display, Gazzaniga aside.

Have totally lost the pressing, tempo and energy we used to have.

Poor summer signings mean we aren't better than lots of teams we were superior to last year. Others have improved and we have made ourselves worse being trying to be too clever in the transfer market.

Top 10 seems a bit of a way off considering upcoming fixtures.

Very disappointing, and fans becoming disillusioned with the team which is never good. Only a short time ago we had academy players playing, 5 Eng Intls etc and a lot of positive feeling about the club.

Even the press conferences are so negative now and negativity breeds.

I thought we were okay against a good side, especially as we were lacking key players.

Romeu's "half-marking" job against Cabaye decided it.

A 12 million striker should be putting the last-minute chance away.

I'll stick with my pre-season view - that we'll have a weaker first half of the season but a much stronger second half.

We were very sloppy at times today. Gave the ball away, didn't track runners, didn't tackle and with some poor defending but we did play some good stuff. We're not far away. Just need to dominate the midfield more like we used to and give ourselves a platform to build on.

Weird tactics, weird selection and another poor display, Gazzaniga aside.

Have totally lost the pressing, tempo and energy we used to have.

Poor summer signings mean we aren't better than lots of teams we were superior to last year. Others have improved and we have made ourselves worse being trying to be too clever in the transfer market.

Top 10 seems a bit of a way off considering upcoming fixtures.

Very disappointing, and fans becoming disillusioned with the team which is never good. Only a short time ago we had academy players playing, 5 Eng Intls etc and a lot of positive feeling about the club.

Even the press conferences are so negative now and negativity breeds.

Can't disagree with any of this.

Wanyama a big reason for poor build up play. He loses the ball so often this season and those 50/50 moments where he beasts players off the ball don't seem to win us possession anymore. Any point point keeping him beyond? His performances showcase his desire to leave for me.

Thing is, I don't mind us losing a game if we've played well. But the tactics and the ability to shoot on target across the entire team is absolutely woeful. Mane is looking like a shadow of his former self - probably because he believes his own hype.

Precisely, no progress and we're still woeful. I've been cautiously positive about things but it's about time we started getting some points on the board, there's only relegation candidates below us right now. I dread the day when Mané is gone, where are the goals going to come from?

As an older supporter, I'm accustomed to Saints losing. It's always a disappointment. The worst thing for me is our loss of momentum. The last few years have been amazing, but now, we are apparently finding our level in the premier league, and it feels like going cold turkey from a heroin addiction.

I'm not angry, I'm just huddled in a corner shouting at faces in the sky

As an older supporter, I'm accustomed to Saints losing. It's always a disappointment. The worst thing for me is our loss of momentum. The last few years have been amazing, but now, we are apparently finding our level in the premier league, and it feels like going cold turkey from a heroin addiction.

I'll have to take your word for that then, we need better creative midfielders and we'll probably be a lot better.

We haven't found our level, our level has been way, way above this for a couple of years, while playing infinitely better football, that's why people are ****ed off. In a season when real progress was possible given the top 4's erratic results, we have gone majorly downhill under a very confused manager.

Basically, it was there to go for... and rather than investing, Les Reed got all Sweaty palms sold the best we had left and invested in players that need to develop into their replacements over a couple of years... Instead, we should have spent a bit of dosh on 2 players from last years team and gotten a top 4 birth. Chance gone for another 2 generations like as not.

I don't think it's fair to blame Koeman for this one. The tactics were OK, both in the first half and then when we changed shape and brought on Tadic and Pelle. The problem is that we are severely lacking quality in our attacking play. We only created two real chances today, with Davis drawing save of the season from Hennessey, and Long doing what Long does in injury time - a PL striker simply has to be doing better with chances like that.

One positive to take from today is that Gazzaniga put in an excellent performance and made some crucial saves. Good to see that he is much improved from the 'rabbit in headlights' act that he used to do when called up to the first team.

No real positives to the overall performance besides Gazzaniga. Setting up defensively only works when the players chosen can actually defend.

Bertrand stood out as particularly poor today, did practically nothing right. Wanyama, Fonte and Yoshida were all abysmal too.

Edited by Bewildered

¨

I think we we are heading to our level, we will find it after the sales of Pelle, Tadic, Mane, Wanyama & Van Dijk.

Koeman:

Positive performance

Wind a factor

We controlled the game

Second half played well but we have to score

A point was deserved.

One defensive mistake cost us.

Gazza made good saves

Overall performance positive.

Physical problems with Stek and Pelle.

We didn't give up.

Adam: how worried are you?

Worried about results but not worried about the way we played. Lads showed good energy and we deserved a point. We need too many chances to score.

Koeman saying performance was "very positive" and the wind was a big factor.

Hmmm.

As much as I love Ron, I wish he wouldn't talk about the weather. It is the same for both sides and he has been in the game long enough to know that you have to perform in all weather conditions.

Very sound game from Gazzaniga. good kicking, very good distribution, some outstanding saves, Why did we ever play KD ahead of him this season. The team selection was original but worked reasonably well if a bit toothless. It was a pretty high tempo game and that goal was enough.

Twenty five minutes to go Koeman decided to give it a go however Pelle looks ineffective and has the ball control of an elephant. Tadic ran round in ever decreasing circles and Mane looked like he was playing on ice the number of times he slipped over. Long got into two really good positions but lacked the skill to score. Having said that Palace defended as if their lives depended on it and worked hard against us.

So there we were ten minutes to go and Koeman turns to Square ball and back passing expert JWP to add to the momentum. Six square and backwards passes later one forward pass into the box and it was all over. While Ramirez is here and in full training trying to save a game bringing on JWP is crass.

Gone backwards massively.

The players on a whole played as well as they could have.

Fair play to Gazzaniga. He made some good saves. I think a loan move will benefit him massively when Forster comes back.

Shane Long is a massive pile of ****. He isn't good enough for where the board claim we want to be. A decent striker finishes that chance he has.

Can't see us getting anything from our next three.