Half time entertainment....

angelman

I know it's not a very important thing, but even by the pizz poor standards that we usually endure, WTF was that tonight? Asinine and the bloke doing the commentary would be better suited doing a 3 year old's birthday party.

Ha, I actually turned to my Dad and said “they should probably just get rid of HT entertainment” during this. I prefer to talk about the game.

Never understood the point of half time entertainment. It’s very North American. I go to hockey, baseball and Canadian football games and it’s full of distracting entertainment. It’s like people have no attention span.

When I was a regular at the football when I lived in England and Scotland, half time was a chance to have a ****, get a pie, chat about the first half or listen to around the grounds on radio 5.

Penalties at half time are a bit lame wherever you go - bit of “that’ll do”. But then it was all up the spout, blokes setting up the boxes of fire pre match on the centre circle, the message on the screen for warning us of the impending light show. The PA volume turned up to distortion levels. I hasten to add I don’t mind it loud but distortion from those big new speakers - why so loud. Players trundle out, no disco no balls of fire, the pyro men are wondering what to do “if I go and collect it will some idiot press the button to ignite it while it’s in my hands”

Everyone knows the relay works - there is no effort to watch it while you are chatting, if it rains it’s a bit more fun you can tell many are watching by the reaction when one of the nippers takes a tumble or misses a sitter.

If you ain’t having the relay either don’t bother, or get the Police dogs, Dagenham Girls Pipers, or the Albion Band in.

Best regards

Miserable Old Git

:D

The noise level from the public address system seems to have been cranked up another notch or two last night

I would like to be able to have a conversation about the game, at least at HT, but the noise from the manic announcer and banging music makes this almost impossible.

Also bearing in mind the age profile of the crowd perhaps some Vera Lynn, Ken Dodd or Mantovani tunes would be appropriate!!!

Or bring back the Albion Band!!!!!!!!

The bloke next to me tried to say something and I just had to hold my hand up and tell him to wait until the PA had finished deafening us. I'm way up at the top, so maybe the sound reverberates more up with the roof being closer, but I couldn't hear him shouting at me from a few inches away.

The fire and light show, the half time bit (I won't call it entertainment, as that would be a misnomer), the volume of the PA were all mickey mouse. (More import of course were the 3 points)

On balance I would bring back the relay, but with changes. Why can't they make it that it is a group of kids, say, 5-10 years old vs a group from the opposition?

The noise level from the public address system seems to have been cranked up another notch or two last night

I would like to be able to have a conversation about the game, at least at HT, but the noise from the manic announcer and banging music makes this almost impossible.

Also bearing in mind the age profile of the crowd perhaps some Vera Lynn, Ken Dodd or Mantovani tunes would be appropriate!!!

Or bring back the Albion Band!!!!!!!!

I have filled in countless SFC questionnaires saying exactly this but they take no notice !

I wasn't there last night (am on holiday) but what you stated has been the case for a while now and really p!sses me off !

Grrr....

There were clearly some issues yesterday, they were obviously planning to do a light show pre game that didn’t materialise. They tried to go to the media guy on the pitch but couldn’t get through to him. Also they didn’t have the team info on the screens all game.

Volume was stupidly loud last night too, we have gone from not being able to hear the PA system anywhere to incurring hearing damage. Surprised they aren’t breaching some kind of legal decibel limit.

Music is absolutely garbage too.

Everything is secondary to the football and that win was crucial. Our production standards do appear to be getting increasingly tin pot though.

There were clearly some issues yesterday, they were obviously planning to do a light show pre game that didn’t materialise. They tried to go to the media guy on the pitch but couldn’t get through to him. Also they didn’t have the team info on the screens all game.

Volume was stupidly loud last night too, we have gone from not being able to hear the PA system anywhere to incurring hearing damage. Surprised they aren’t breaching some kind of legal decibel limit.

Music is absolutely garbage too.

Everything is secondary to the football and that win was crucial. Our production standards do appear to be getting increasingly tin pot though.

I agree with all of this. What is it with this ridiculously loud racket that they subject us to? Playing loud noise does not create an atmospher, it smothers it.

What was the name of that really fat bloke we had first season at St Mary’s who they got running on the pitch a few times for some sort of “entertainment”? I remember seeing him on the Jeremy Kyle show a few years later crying because he was so fat and his mum saying she didn’t help because she always let him eat what he wanted.

Then there was the time we had that old bloke from Eastenders come on the pitch, WTF was the point of that?

The bloke next to me tried to say something and I just had to hold my hand up and tell him to wait until the PA had finished deafening us. I'm way up at the top, so maybe the sound reverberates more up with the roof being closer, but I couldn't hear him shouting at me from a few inches away.

The fire and light show, the half time bit (I won't call it entertainment, as that would be a misnomer), the volume of the PA were all mickey mouse. (More import of course were the 3 points)

On balance I would bring back the relay, but with changes. Why can't they make it that it is a group of kids, say, 5-10 years old vs a group from the opposition?

Agree. I was trying to talk to the bloke in front of me about the game, but we couldn't hear each other.

How about we bring back the relay with the kids, but get the police dog to chase after them as well. That would make the kids run faster, get that segment over quicker. Then we can have the brass band playing in the middle while the Saintettes parade around the red asphalt? Something for everyone then. And turn off the music, or play something related to football.

Can we have a fit woman presenter as well, like the one at Wolves she was a delight to look at! unlike the two plums that do our pitch side microphone talk?

We did, but we’ve binned her off for these 2 clowns.

What was the name of that really fat bloke we had first season at St Mary’s who they got running on the pitch a few times for some sort of “entertainment”? I remember seeing him on the Jeremy Kyle show a few years later crying because he was so fat and his mum saying she didn’t help because she always let him eat what he wanted.

Then there was the time we had that old bloke from Eastenders come on the pitch, WTF was the point of that?

That was Steve Bull. To be fair to him, he’s sorted himself out, lost about 20 stone and is now married I believe.

I miss the Dell days of a guy hanging the other games half time results on a board!

and the bloke walking around the touchline selling very dubious "cough sweets" and calling out "Cough no more for sixpence!" No that's what I call Half Time entertainment. Oh and we had the old lads of the brass band marching around out of step

Those were the days eh lads?

Was the shambles of the light show, why the teams weren't shown on the big screens?

Worse than that, whilst the game was in play(as in players actually attacking and defending not waiting for a corner) they showed a Highways Agency advisory advert about not hogging the middle lan of the motorway, just as I thinking why is a Space Invader getting bigger on the screen, just as the nippers sat behind “that’s a Space Invader, why is a space invader on the screen?”.

Worse than that, whilst the game was in play(as in players actually attacking and defending not waiting for a corner) they showed a Highways Agency advisory advert about not hogging the middle lan of the motorway, just as I thinking why is a Space Invader getting bigger on the screen, just as the nippers sat behind “that’s a Space Invader, why is a space invader on the screen?”.

Yeah, I noticed that. Mostly tried to ignor it but having them show video adverts for Virgin Media and the highway agency during play felt like a new low for advertising at the football. Very American.

Can we have a fit woman presenter as well, like the one at Wolves she was a delight to look at! unlike the two plums that do our pitch side microphone talk?

It's weird isn't it. The presenter should either be a fit bird or a manly man. We usually end up with local radio, last-to-be-picked, nancies.

And keep it simple. Read out the announcements for the kids / simpletons. Then have a nippers relay. The suggestion of having Saints v oppo is a good one. Form the Saints team from Junior Saints - is that still a thing? - and invite the opposotion's junior club to bring a team.

Easy.

It's weird isn't it. The presenter should either be a fit bird or a manly man. We usually end up with local radio, last-to-be-picked, nancies.

And keep it simple. Read out the announcements for the kids / simpletons. Then have a nippers relay. The suggestion of having Saints v oppo is a good one. Form the Saints team from Junior Saints - is that still a thing? - and invite the opposotion's junior club to bring a team.

Easy.

Reading used to have to local kids teams take part in a penalty shoot out (in training goals next to the proper goals - ice hockey run from the halfway line style). Was still a bit rubbish of course but good for the local kids to be playing at their local big team ground and was actually more interesting to watch than anything saints while being able to talk to your neighbour through it. Think i only saw it at Elm Park when i went with a reading fan mate so no idea if its a problem on lovely new pitches which are maybe watered and prodded at halftime.

I thought Kenzie was easy enough on the eye, although always found it strange her tottering around on high heels.

Never got that myself either, the moment she stepped onto the pitch she looked very uncomfortable. Made me think of Kirsty Gallagher hosting the presentation ceremony for Sky on the 18th green at Wentworth, she tottered out uncomfortably to the middle of the green on her toes, and stood like that for the duration, as if she had been told the head groundsman was hiding in the trees with his snipers rifle and should a mere millimetre of heel puncture the grass she was getting liquidated!

The music and announcements are so loud I had to put my fingers in my ears at one point. A couple of seasons ago, we couldn't hear the announcements. Now I could probably hear them if I stayed home.

And if we must have music, can we have something classy and Saints related when the teams come out? Other teams have their themes (YNWA, Bubbles, Johnny Todd etc) why can't we have a decent version of OWTS - perhaps Louis Armstrong or a trad New Orleans band? Anything would better than the awful garbage we have now.

I miss the Dell days of a guy hanging the other games half time results on a board!

Those were the days ! That was an important part of the day. It was always a source of amusement if the bloke dropped one of the numbers from the scoreboard bringing about a large cheer. It didn't happen often, but I remember on one occasion the same number wouldn't stay in place and felll from the board three times.

Jesus, that shootout was shocking!

My preference would be for a 20 minute long light show prior to the match infused with some banging trance music!! I’ll even offer my services to sort the playlist.... who the hell chose the music on Wednesday?? Terrible.

• 3 years later...

That relay is so simple - kids getting to lap the pitch with a crowd increasingly cheering them on  - bit of jeopardy if it’s rained. Then the cock sure nipper missing an open goal at the end. 
Before Covid when they dropped it for something inane - you could hear grumblings in the crowd, quite weird.

Even the subs on the pitch stop kicking about to watch it.

Heard there are going to be interviews with the managers at half time this season. Is this just for live Sky/BT/Amazon games, or streamed to the stadium for fans in the ground for all games.

Not sure I necessarily want it. Seems a bit of an americanised idea, and can't imagine there'll be anything too insightful at half time (probably even less so than full time interviews...). And will distract from the relay, which would be the main reason I pay for tickets to games.