Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Reaction

Ohio Saint

Of all the terrible signings we've made, and the money we've wasted, Danny Ings surely well up there, mainly for the fact that we had him for a season to see what he could do but then HAD to buy him whether he was good or not. Insane.

Some people will see that Ings scored and only look at that. The reality is that he isn't good enough. That goal was as lucky as he will ever get.

And the subsequent miss was as bad as they come, utterly typical it fell to him, I think anyone else would have buried that.

I can't get past not seeing that penalty shout in the first half. Was it or wasn't it? Can't imagine MOTD clearing it up.

I didn’t think it was even close to being a penalty personally, don’t think Adams appealed either.

It's just like us to dominate and not score, its also just like us to be a different team in the second half. We managed to put up a good display and an awful one all in one match. I'm absolutely clueless what kind of Saints we will have for the rest of the season.

Another game, another defensive howler.

It's so ****ing frustrating to see us hand the opposition side goals and it will continue to happen because our CBs are not Premier League CBs.

Danny Ings sitter summed him up. He wouldn't be here if some clown didn't authorize that obligation to buy on his loan deal.

Edited by Saints foreva

Really liked Adams' performance. Romeu's ridiculous yellow completely stifled his game. A great first half, out of it completely second half but finished bright. But we've been here many times before, Brighton is the acid test.

Thought Ings played well bar the miss - great left footed curling effort.

Every player has the odd glaring miss (memories of Yakubu in the world cup), but that doesn't make that gilt-edged chance any less painful!! What a ball by Valery.

Djenpro looked promising, real acceleration and didn't waste the ball.

The slippy error from the throw in that Firmino capitalised on was just abysmal, really.

On to the next one with a similar performance to today, please.

Wierd game. A good performance and an awful one. Could have been 2-3 or 3 up, lucky not to be hammered and then disappointing not to draw. Once again sloppy play cost us a goal, 2 good finishes but Mane given far too much space and the throw in/clearance for the second goal was awful. Ings miss, dear me. Encouraging in places worrying in others but no shame losing to the European champions.

Djenepo's cameo a reminder of just how leaden-footed the rest of the team are.

Thought we huffed and puffed first half against a team that we're still limbering up, and were then extremely lucky to still be in it by the time we were gifted a goal. Oh, and seemingly every member of the defence made an error that either did or should have cost a goal today.

I thought we played very well for large parts, against a top side who were not on top of their game.

At HT we should have scored 2, easily and thats probably what cost us, as know our defence isnt good enough to keep out a team like Liverpool.

Adams worked hard and clearly will offer a lot.

Romeu was good first half but tired so quickly in the second. We look very light in his position, essentially with no other player who offers what he does.

For their first goal we have them an easy touch from thr throw and the second was the kind of mistake that gets punished at this level.

Our throw ins were dire like normal.

Just on the train home. I really enjoyed that! In the first half I spent most of the time looking to my right - the goal Liverpool we’re defending!

We played with some spirit, and really should/could have been two up before Manè scored. I was right behind Mané’s shot and It was a goal as it left his foot. Class.

My boy and I thought they might tire after an hour, and they definitely slowed the pace in my view, but it actually gave them more control of the game.

Then we gifted them a second, they should have sewn it up before Ings was gifted one and then we should have equalised.

Enjoyed Djenepo’s cameo, and the way we played in general.

Pressures on for a win at Brighton.

PS Ref was poor.

Edited by Faz

Haven't changed my opinion from before the game.Liverpool are not too safe at the back and our new pace can exploit it but typical of Saints we didn't capitalise. Throw the effing ball down the line please not into the defence because we got caught yet again. Ralph has his work cut out with this squad but they can play better and next Saturday they just have to.

I thought we played pretty well and were deserving of at least a draw. Shout outs to Romeu, JWP, Valery and Redmond. Adams showed some promise, but should have buried his header; Bednarek made one outstanding challenge in the box.

Thought Ings played well bar the miss - great left footed curling effort.

Every player has the odd glaring miss (memories of Yakubu in the world cup), but that doesn't make that gilt-edged chance any less painful!! What a ball by Valery.

Djenpro looked promising, real acceleration and didn't waste the ball.

The slippy error from the throw in that Firmino capitalised on was just abysmal, really.

On to the next one with a similar performance to today, please.

Actually felt the opposite with Ings, the left footed curler was about the only decent thing he did. I get the feeling that if we didn't have an obligation to but than we wouldn't have taken it up. I felt Adams offered alot more, especially as he is still getting used to the pace of the premier league. Both missed chances they should have scored, but Adams offered more all round play.

Just like Saints to not take a guilt-edged chance to get an unlikely draw when we have presented so many teams with similar chances and been scored on costing us so many points. So frustrated after that. Need a win vs Brighton, get the season kick started.

In this new era of technology it's a special kind of ref who can still have a shocker.

Though in his defence, it must be difficult to concentrate with the VAR bloke constantly talking him through his appalling mistakes in real time.

He didn't change the result, but he did everything he could.

In this new era of technology it's a special kind of ref who can still have a shocker.

Though in his defence, it must be difficult to concentrate with the VAR bloke constantly talking him through his appalling mistakes in real time.

He didn't change the result, but he did everything he could.

I normally defend referees but Mariner was leaning so far in one direction that I'm surprised he didn't fall over.

That was a bit frustrating really, as I felt we had a decent game plan which was working. We kept them at arm’s length for the first 45, had a few forays ourselves (although with nowhere near enough intent) but then as per last season, the year before that and the year before that, we lose concentration and focus in stoppage time.

We should have got tighter to Mane and kept concentration but we didn’t and there you have it. Based on our approach and Liverpool’s sluggish display, there’s no way we should have gone in with anything other than 0-0 on that first half showing, but conceding late goals are the trademark of this group unfortunately.

The 2nd half was a little huff and puff, Liverpool dominated the first part of it. Once they got the 2nd it felt like game over, absolute nightmare from Bedernek. Seriously, what is it with us gifting goals like this? Idiots.

I did feel that Liverpool became very complacent 70 mins onwards though and we regained some ground. Good pressure from us and an absolute howler from Adrian. He's such a **** keeper, honestly. Then for the next 5 or so mins we pressed hard and had some decent moments, the direct running of Moussa helped us open the game towards the end without a doubt.

Overall, it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It's another loss, it's another game with avoidable goals conceded - but our general game plan was there, the work ethic was there.

I just don’t know how to stop this group conceding late goals at the end of halves, it's becoming a boring scenario. That may be more down to a lack of individual quality and character more than anything else though.

So you are happy with a home defeat and poor performance then???? I'm speechless

Nobody is “happy” with a defeat, but there were a lot of positives in that performance. Yes, there were some individual errors, but Adams, JWP, Valery in particular did well. As did Djenepo when he came on. We gave the best defence in the league a fair test on occasion.

We can be pretty happy about that. Considering we missed three easy goal scoring chances it could so easily have been a decent victory. Most of the lads did well but too catastrophic errors by Bednarek and we were two down. His ball distribution was frankly awful and seems always to be caught in two minds when on the ball under pressure

We are told that our visitors are possibly the best team in the world but for sure they didn't look like it today.