The future Premier League & LC

skintsaint

With the announcement of a World Club Cup fixture space will be getting tight the in calendar every 4 years or so. Along with the clamour of a winter break (if they got a decent enough summer break they wouldnt need one) & long preseasons touring around the world for the top 6, do you think that the PL will look again to reduce the league down to 18 teams to reduce domestic games or maybe it will be the sign to get rid of the League Cup?

Money talks so I wouldn't be surprised for a domestic shake up to reduce the games played.

Well, seeing as there's not football for 2 weeks may as well contribute some irrelevant rubbish

Can't see a reduction. Put simply the majority of clubs would have to vote in agreement, and seeing as all but 6 or 7 of the clubs are scared witless about relegation and loss of revenue, there will always be a majority in favour of not reducing (turkeys voting for Christmas).

In reality, most clubs would clamour for more chance to be involved (less risk of suffering a major loss of earnings); there has been talk of a pl2, and until very recently talk about including the old firm. Of course, simply adding in a second division of the pl isn't especially appealing; aside from pl clubs having an exclusive pl league cup instead of playing in the efl cup there is no opportunity to do anything differently to now so what difference would it actually make? Plus simply adding in 20 more clubs would water down the financial gain of the very top, while reducing the appeal for tv companies of the efl, reducing income for lower level clubs. It would simply widen the gap while actually making both parties suffer financially - the only 'winners' would be the clubs ranked 21 - 40.

There is, of course, a creative solution available. Not saying I'd agree with it as elements go against my understanding of fair competition and the traditions of what a league should be. There's also many variations on this theme so it's just an example, but imagine something like:

32 clubs, in 4 (presumably geographical) divisions, home and away v each gives 14 games.

Split into top and bottom 4 of each and top 16 (and bottom 16) play each other once, 15 more games, 37 in total. The odd number of games would suit the pl as it would give a reason (opportunity or excuse depending on your view) to need a neutral venue for a proportion of matches, allowing for games to be played all over the world which has been mooted.

You could then really spice things up by maintaining points within the 4 divisional groups to provide four 'champions'. This would provide another opportunity for a money spinner - an end of season 'play-offs' to determine the actual champions.

Many drawbacks; no guarantee of playing any club outside of your 'division', so clubs gaining promotion and dreaming of the big games might not actually play United or Liverpool or whoever they dream of. And assuming they're in different regions, United and (for example) arsenal would only play once (assuming both finished top 4 in their bit). It's not how a league is meant to be in all our understandings of what a league is - quite simply it just doesn't feel right to me based on all my years of following the game.

However, on the plus side it would allow (in that example) for 12 more teams in the pl; selfishly one would imagine our chances of dropping out would reduce. For the power and money men it allows for games abroad, and it would provide an end of season finale lacking in domestic football since the demise of the fa cup. Be honest, the best seasons in terms of the title are when it goes down to the wire. Plus if you're totally honest with yourself, you'd probably tune in to watch the playoff, title determining final, wouldn't you? I know I would, and I'm pretty certain the millions of global pl fans would. And lastly with a split halfway, the top section would presumably get a bigger split of the spoils, thus keeping the elite clubs happy at possibly increasing the size of their cake slice.

On balance, negatives are mostly about tradition and fair play, and positives are mostly about money. Given what the power brokers of the pl seem to rate as most important, every chance something like this could halpen then!!

And just to repeat, not saying I want this, just saying that I could see something like this happening.

I’ve long believed there should be a winter break - everyone plays on NYD then nothing until the first weekend of Feb. Smaller squads get a rest after the busy Xmas period, fewer injuries and games in late May/June instead of sh*tty, blowy, freezing your t*ts off January games.

I’d be in favour of scrapping the LC or making it an U23 competition. However, I’d also change the FA Cup so that everyone starts in round 1. 92 League clubs plus 36 non-League qualifiers, 7 rounds, if my maths is right.

I’ve long believed there should be a winter break - everyone plays on NYD then nothing until the first weekend of Feb. Smaller squads get a rest after the busy Xmas period, fewer injuries and games in late May/June instead of sh*tty, blowy, freezing your t*ts off January games.

I’d be in favour of scrapping the LC or making it an U23 competition. However, I’d also change the FA Cup so that everyone starts in round 1. 92 League clubs plus 36 non-League qualifiers, 7 rounds, if my maths is right.

Any fan who supports a winter break can’t be a true fan. Weekends are sh1t enough if we get knocked out of FA Cup why would you want more of that?

Level playing field and only lobbied by ponces (ala Henry Winter) IMO.

Any fan who supports a winter break can’t be a true fan. Weekends are sh1t enough if we get knocked out of FA Cup why would you want more of that?

Level playing field and only lobbied by ponces (ala Henry Winter) IMO.

I'm not in favour either. Winters are dismal enough already but the biggest problem I can foresee is the weather. We could have a two week break with mild weather followed by a month of snowed under countryside.

Jesus effing wept.

You must be overjoyed this weekend- Saints aren't playing YEESSSSSS

And next week YEEEESSSSSS Saints aren't playing again. YES YES YES

Jesus effing wept.

You must be overjoyed this weekend- Saints aren't playing YEESSSSSS

And next week YEEEESSSSSS Saints aren't playing again. YES YES YES

Jesus effing wept.

You must be overjoyed in May- Saints aren't playing YEESSSSSS

And June YEEEESSSSSS Saints aren't playing again. YES YES YES

Jesus effing wept.

You must be overjoyed in May- Saints aren't playing YEESSSSSS

And June YEEEESSSSSS Saints aren't playing again. YES YES YES

We've got at least two matches in May - do you want to scrap them too?

And tournaments happen in June but let's scrap them too so no one gets tired.

We've got at least two matches in May - do you want to scrap them too?

And tournaments happen in June but let's scrap them too so no one gets tired.

I find this odd.

It's still 38 Premier League games and there is still room for a tournament. The number of fixtures doesn't really change, the only difference is the timing.

Premier League First half - August - Jan 1st.

Premier League Second half - Early Feb - Mid June

Major tournament - July

The way I see it, right now there is 3 months with no football, which I find far more tedious than having 1 month in January. Especially as myself (and I suspect many others) are often skint after Christmas.

I find this odd.

It's still 38 Premier League games and there is still room for a tournament. The number of fixtures doesn't really change, the only difference is the timing.

Major tournament - July

The way I see it, right now there is 3 months with no football, which I find far more tedious than having 1 month in January. Especially as myself (and I suspect many others) are often skint after Christmas.

Summer is a struggle but at least decent weather and more to do. The international tournaments will soon be 144 teams and run for 8 weeks so that will help. Ahh the odd years though. They need to make up another competition

I find this odd.

Major tournament - July

Er, you've scrapped the League Cup and reengineered the FA Cup so we could be knocked out in October or November - fingers crossed!!!!! so we can get shot of those fiddly football matches clogging up the diary.

Er, you've scrapped the League Cup and reengineered the FA Cup so we could be knocked out in October or November - fingers crossed!!!!! so we can get shot of those fiddly football matches clogging up the diary.

No idea why you’ve invented this notion that I want fewer games. “Fingers crossed”? Grow up a bit.

One proper cup competition, which people can take more seriously with less fixture congestion and more rest for players. FWIW, I’d have a CL place for the winner and EL place for the runner up too, as more of an incentive. We could easily go 5 rounds and make it to the QF, how does that compare to this season? I make it 4 cup games plus one replay, all of which featured a sub standard mix of reserves and kids from both sides.

No idea why you’ve invented this notion that I want fewer games. “Fingers crossed”? Grow up a bit.

One proper cup competition, which people can take more seriously with less fixture congestion and more rest for players. FWIW, I’d have a CL place for the winner and EL place for the runner up too, as more of an incentive. We could easily go 5 rounds and make it to the QF, how does that compare to this season? I make it 4 cup games plus one replay, all of which featured a sub standard mix of reserves and kids from both sides.

Less fixture congestion and more rest and getting rid of the league cup.

No idea where I could have possibly "invented the notion" that you want fewer matches.

Less fixture congestion and more rest and getting rid of the league cup.

No idea where I could have possibly "invented the notion" that you want fewer matches.

You do know that playing the same number of games spread out more is not playing fewer matches? 38 games; More games in summer, fewer in winter.

I’m saying scrap the LC or make it an U23 competition because it’s largely pointless anyway. A bunch of our reserves and kids beat a couple of other clubs reserves, then get dumped out in some sh*tty non-performance against Sheffs Weds or Bristol City.

You do know that playing the same number of games spread out more is not playing fewer matches? 38 games; More games in summer, fewer in winter.

I’m saying scrap the LC or make it an U23 competition because it’s largely pointless anyway. A bunch of our reserves and kids beat a couple of other clubs reserves, then get dumped out in some sh*tty non-performance against Sheffs Weds or Bristol City.

Families have holidays in summers.

Scrapping the league cup means fewer games. I accept your apology.

It didn't feel pointless when Gabbiadini equalised at Wembley but that was in February so still winter time so presumably you refused to watch it out of principle.

Anyway as previously discussed hope you are having an absolute blast over the next few weeks with no horrible Saints matches to get in the way of things.

Scrapping the league cup means fewer games. I accept your apology.

It didn't feel pointless when Gabbiadini equalised at Wembley but that was in February so still winter time so presumably you refused to watch it out of principle.

Anyway as previously discussed hope you are having an absolute blast over the next few weeks with no horrible Saints matches to get in the way of things.

Are you this needlessly rude and patronising to everyone you meet in real life? :|

Checkatrade?

Expect the Premier League to be reduced to 16 teams in the near future, partly to reduce so-called fixture congestion but also as the quality of the top 4, 6 or 8 as it might become soon continues to improve to world class through the unfair distribution of money in the game. How long before PL audiences tire of having to watch a half dozen or so championship sides endlessly recycling between the bottom of the PL and the top of the Championship playing a style of unattractive physical defensive football that is the antithesis of the Sky-perfect vision of the fast flowing beautiful game.

Expect the Premier League to be reduced to 16 teams in the near future, partly to reduce so-called fixture congestion but also as the quality of the top 4, 6 or 8 as it might become soon continues to improve to world class through the unfair distribution of money in the game. How long before PL audiences tire of having to watch a half dozen or so championship sides endlessly recycling between the bottom of the PL and the top of the Championship playing a style of unattractive physical defensive football that is the antithesis of the Sky-perfect vision of the fast flowing beautiful game.

isnt the premier league as fair as it gets with the distribution of money?

isnt the premier league as fair as it gets with the distribution of money?
If anything, it is unfair to the big clubs. There's no real reason they should give the equal share they give to clubs like Burnley and Palace and us. The smaller clubs do very well out of it.

I see nothing wrong with the distribution of the prem cash, at the moment the premier league values the competition over the rights of individual clubs, whilst still rewarding a portion on merit. There isn't an unfair distribution of money overall just an uneven one and this helps to keep a balance in the league and in my opinion the league is better for have a strong middle section of teams.

You know how decisions in PL are made right?

Nothing in changing on number of teams let alone near future,