Safe Standing

spyinthesky

Anyone able to comment on the possibility that when Barr built the stadium, as well as preparing the foundations of some part of the stadium for expansion they also allowed for the introduction of safe standing.

I think the latter is probably unlikely but you never know.

However there seems to be a general move towards a limited introduction of safe standing.

If so, anyone know what the additional ratio is of the seating to safe standing ratio is?

I am sure I read somewhere it is in the region 1:1.6 but seems rather high.

Still the possible capacity gain at SMS is a bit incidental atm I guess.

Having 'stood' at St Mary's many times I can't see it being an issue just to replace the present seats with rail seating, I would imagine it's basically as it is now but with a rail/bar across the back of the seat. And that's why I can't see it having any bearing on capacity, surely a rail seat will take up just about the exact same space?

Tottenham have already installed 7,000 rail seats in their new stadium (5,000 in the home end, 2,000 in the away)

rs9bb8.jpg

• 10 months later...

The Conservatives have actually put Safe Standing in their Manifesto...

Pg 26

"We will set up a fan-led review of football governance, which will include consideration of the Owners and Directors Test, and will work with fans and clubs towards introducing safe standing."

As promised here's an overview of what was discussed yesterday at an FA meeting I attended regarding accessibility of stadiums. As mentioned above, this is mainly to do with access for disabled fans and the overall visiting experience that they gain from attending matches all over the country. Most of the modern stadiums pass with flying colours but there are a few stadiums and clubs which could be doing more to help them etc.

One of the topics that was mentioned was safe standing, which has been discussed for a while now and the campaign to install these at stadiums is gathering momentum. The FA adviser said they're stance is to support it where possible, but there would need to be an overhaul in the law as standing at football is currently prohibited up to a certain level (note earlier post saying Conservatives have this in their manifesto).

Provided such law change can get through parliament, it would then be up to the FA to grant permission to clubs to install safe standing at their ground but here's where it becomes interesting (and relevant to Saints)...

The FA have a map of every ground and each section of the stadium is grouped by the type of supporters that sit in that part of the stadium (e.g. they know at St Mary's where the away fans sit, that the Northam and Itchen North are the loudest parts and that the Chapel is more family orientated. Each club would have to submit a request to the FA and detail where they'd like to position the safe standing area.

The FA's guidance, so far, is that there will not be safe standing within 2 blocks (or a certain number of seats) from the away sections as they feel this is likely to stir trouble and want to avoid that where possible.

At SMS, this would mean that blocks 1 + 2 can't have it, neither can 40-43 which may mean it's either started in block 3 (but with no real room for expansion into block 4 as the club views this as semi-premium seating), placed in the corner somewhere between blocks 36-39 or, as the FA speaker suggested, the club may take this as an opportunity to manage a move to the Chapel and create a "kop" end that way.

Obviously a lot of variables on this to happen, but just thought i'd share with you a snippet of what was discussed.

As promised here's an overview of what was discussed yesterday at an FA meeting I attended regarding accessibility of stadiums. As mentioned above, this is mainly to do with access for disabled fans and the overall visiting experience that they gain from attending matches all over the country. Most of the modern stadiums pass with flying colours but there are a few stadiums and clubs which could be doing more to help them etc.

One of the topics that was mentioned was safe standing, which has been discussed for a while now and the campaign to install these at stadiums is gathering momentum. The FA adviser said they're stance is to support it where possible, but there would need to be an overhaul in the law as standing at football is currently prohibited up to a certain level (note earlier post saying Conservatives have this in their manifesto).

Provided such law change can get through parliament, it would then be up to the FA to grant permission to clubs to install safe standing at their ground but here's where it becomes interesting (and relevant to Saints)...

The FA have a map of every ground and each section of the stadium is grouped by the type of supporters that sit in that part of the stadium (e.g. they know at St Mary's where the away fans sit, that the Northam and Itchen North are the loudest parts and that the Chapel is more family orientated. Each club would have to submit a request to the FA and detail where they'd like to position the safe standing area.

The FA's guidance, so far, is that there will not be safe standing within 2 blocks (or a certain number of seats) from the away sections as they feel this is likely to stir trouble and want to avoid that where possible.

At SMS, this would mean that blocks 1 + 2 can't have it, neither can 40-43 which may mean it's either started in block 3 (but with no real room for expansion into block 4 as the club views this as semi-premium seating), placed in the corner somewhere between blocks 36-39 or, as the FA speaker suggested, the club may take this as an opportunity to manage a move to the Chapel and create a "kop" end that way.

Obviously a lot of variables on this to happen, but just thought i'd share with you a snippet of what was discussed.

So basically due to the FA's outdated ideas of football fans they've come up with a half ars*d solution that's going to cause maximum grief for season ticket holders at almost every ground in the country?

So basically due to the FA's outdated ideas of football fans they've come up with a half ars*d solution that's going to cause maximum grief for season ticket holders at almost every ground in the country?

Not at all, most clubs will submit an area which isn’t next to the away fans. It’s only really us that has its “hardcore” fans based there rather than somewhere else.

When SMS was built the club intended the Chapel to be the "home" end anyway. Why our supporters decided to dilute whatever noise they make by splitting into sections either side of the away fans has always been beyond me.

I was in Chapel for the England v Kosovo game. It was listed when booking as the "home" end . Great atmosphere in that end that night, couldn't help thinking that that was SMS could have been like for every game

the club may take this as an opportunity to manage a move to the Chapel and create a "kop" end that way

I think that's exactly what will happen (but probably p*ss off a few who've liked to have a nap down there over the years). Fans get their 'Kop' (that's really always been there anyway) with the added bonus of removing some of our more face-painted weirdo fans who like to engage with the 'aways' alongside which for them will at least take away the certainty of knowing they're weirdos and leaving it to the imagination that they might not be quite so weird being out of sight down the other end of the stadium.

I think that's exactly what will happen (but probably p*ss off a few who've liked to have a nap down there over the years). Fans get their 'Kop' (that's really always been there anyway) with the added bonus of removing some of our more face-painted weirdo fans who like to engage with the 'aways' alongside which for them will at least take away the certainty of knowing they're weirdos and leaving it to the imagination that they might not be quite so weird being out of sight down the other end of the stadium.

When SMS was built the club intended the Chapel to be the "home" end anyway. Why our supporters decided to dilute whatever noise they make by splitting into sections either side of the away fans has always been beyond me.

I was in Chapel for the England v Kosovo game. It was listed when booking as the "home" end . Great atmosphere in that end that night, couldn't help thinking that that was SMS could have been like for every game

Agree with both of these. Some will get precious over the Northam for some reason, but it could be a blessing in disguise for the club. May have to give some discounts for STH’s in the Chapel, but overall should improve the experience on matchday

If this happens I'll be getting a season ticket again for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The Conservatives have actually put Safe Standing in their Manifesto...

Pg 26

"We will set up a fan-led review of football governance, which will include consideration of the Owners and Directors Test, and will work with fans and clubs towards introducing safe standing."

That's nothing mate. Labour hsve just announced free season tickets for everyone. With a free vegan sausage roll thrown in

• 2 months later...