St Mary's College

bridge too far

Why is it that Catholic religeous "heads" for want of a better word always seem to get involved in this type of thing more than Prodestant ones?

I think it is entirely due to the stupid no sex rules they impose, as it is just not natural for a bloke not to spunk his load up something and they pry on kids as they think nobody will find out.

Just for my interest, JFP, on what basis do you believe that Catholics seem to get involved more than Protestants in these kind of matters?

Don't you think its more of a case that the Catholic incidents get reported (as they are so much more scandalous) more regularly?

Not sure if this is true or not. I'm pretty shocked that this has come out but there have actually been rumours going round for ages (mostly involving camping trips and sleeping bags.) I don't know if this is the same thing. TBH he was always a bit of an aggressive idiot as far as I was concerned, regularly walking out of PTA meetings if he didn't agree with a point of view and I heard in recent years reduced a girl to tears through bullying.

Having said that I am inclined not to believe that he is guilty for the moment because I would never have suspected anything and I hope not because I loved my school and it will damage them immensely (obviously for the sake of the abused as well I hope it turns out to be untrue.) It's a shame because people will now associate this with the school and it was probably the happiest time of my life going there. It also got excellent results and helped me out a lot in life. There were/are some excellent committed teachers there and to think that this could have happened is very upsetting.

I hope he is acquitted and it was found to be made up/exaggerated.

Sheesh - I was taught by him when I was there (mid 70's).

A few years after I left he was accused of wrong-doings by a member of staff at the school, but I don't know if anything came of it.

Seems there's no smoke without fire eh?

Which member of staff? Anyone I would know?

Never wondered why their school colours are brown and yellow ??

At least Brockenhurst Grammar's were chocolate and blue.

I never went there but I lived over that way and those old monks used to scare the shît out of me when I was walking up the Beechwwod Path from

the Juniper Rd bus stop.

I went there and I can imagine him hitting people but he never went near me.

He was always a bit in your face but i always thought he was doing it jokingly.

I also went on a camping trip to Wales with him.

Saint Pedro, please email me on gtkimbersweatman@aol.com with your suggestion of the teacher who spoke out. Thanks

It was sexual abuse not physical allegedly. I could not imagine him hurting someone physically, it was more psychological but he had a nasty and vindictive streak about him unlike some of the others.

It was sexual abuse not physical allegedly. I could not imagine him hurting someone physically, it was more psychological but he had a nasty and vindictive streak about him unlike some of the others.

Yeah I knew that it was sexual and i meant that he never came near me sexually or physically

Never wondered why their school colours are brown and yellow ??

At least Brockenhurst Grammar's were chocolate and blue.

I never went there but I lived over that way and those old monks used to scare the shît out of me when I was walking up the Beechwwod Path from

the Juniper Rd bus stop.

after the conkers from the trees in their grounds ?

Have spoken to close friends at the school. They know where the accusations hav cum from and have been told it has been made up and there are inconsistencies in the statements. Lets hope so eh? Anyway suppose we will find out either way soon

It is definitely true cos both my cousins were assaulted by him when they were at the school. He used to go round to their house and assault them and their mum thought he was just a kind man helping out her boys.

When the first rumours came out years ago, their mum was outside the school gates protesting that he was a kind man then the boys told her and now they have been contacted by the police to give statements.

I went to Tauntons in the mid-80s with a load of lads who had transferred from St Marys. They were always going on about being beaten by Brother Jack and implied that there were dodgy goings on as well. He was investigated then. It was an Echo story at the time. From conversations I recall, he also was quite sadistic beating pupils with inflexible rulers on the back of their hands...

Edited by TopGun

Just for my interest, JFP, on what basis do you believe that Catholics seem to get involved more than Protestants in these kind of matters?

Don't you think its more of a case that the Catholic incidents get reported (as they are so much more scandalous) more regularly?

Are you a bit deluded? Do you honestly think the scandal is in the denomination of the creep and not the act they are committing? Christ alive, get with it. It is caused by enforced abstinence, nothing more. That is why there is such a huge difference in "reported incidents"between the two sectors of christianity.

I went to SMC late 70's and there were a few rumours then. Luckily enough nobody ever touched me in that way, had the strap from Bro Paul and a bash from Hermans metal glasses case that was about all. However that school has managed to turn out a few poofs in its time????

I went to Tauntons in the mid-80s with a load of lads who had transferred from St Marys. They were always going on about being beaten by Brother Jack and implied that there were dodgy goings on as well. He was investigated then. It was an Echo story at the time. From conversations I recall, he also was quite sadistic beating pupils with inflexible rulers on the back of their hands...

We were taught Physics by Brother Paul by standing around the outside of the classroom with our hands held out, and asked a physics question. If we got it wrong he'd hit our hands with a metre-long ruler. Scary at the time, but I learnt my physics as a result!

You'd never see that happening these days ....

after the conkers from the trees in their grounds ?

No not really, we had our own conker tree in the garden.

I used to get the bus home from school. Got off at Juniper Rd and walked up the path between Beechwood School and the bottom of the bank at the end of St Mary's Playing fields.

We were taught Physics by Brother Paul by standing around the outside of the classroom with our hands held out, and asked a physics question. If we got it wrong he'd hit our hands with a metre-long ruler. Scary at the time, but I learnt my physics as a result!

You never see anyone learning Physics (or anything else) with today's fuddy duddy teaching methods either.Six of the best from a whippy cane or a bang round the ear from a board wiper never did anyone any harm.

I used to get the bus home from school. Got off at Juniper Rd and walked up the path between Beechwood School and the bottom of the bank at the end of St Mary's Playing fields.

think we called it Monks Path

Probably, it went between the 2 schools and then up the side of St Mary's

playing fields out onto Mousehole Lane or, if you didn't turn left, out onto to Glenfield Avenue.

as 11 year olds we used to sneak into the playing fields and use their goals until a monk would chase us off, the lane was also a favourite spot for courting couples as we got older

as 11 year olds we used to sneak into the playing fields and use their goals until a monk would chase us off' date=' the lane was also a favourite spot for courting couples as we got older[/quote']

Yep been there, done that.

Mind you I preferred Hum Hole, much more secluded,Bitterne Rec on wet evenings.

We used to climb over the fence along that cut to play footy on the playing fields as they had proper goals up!

After a while they'd come down in a Land Rover and chase us off.

A force tends to alter the state of rest or uniform motion of a body - Bro Paul's teaching methods worked on me (48 years on!)

We used to climb over the fence along that cut to play footy on the playing fields as they had proper goals up!

After a while they'd come down in a Land Rover and chase us off.

Some mates and me used to do that as well. Have fond memories of running off and frantically scrambling over the fence when they came after us. :)

Seems there's no smoke without fire eh?

Man, I wish there was a law against that phrase.

A teacher at my old school was accused of some very unseemly things. He was eventually cleared but not before his life was destroyed to the extent that he killed himself.

Not that I'm making any comment about this case, which I know nothing about.

• 11 years later...

During lockdown I've had enough time on my hands to look up some of the schools where I mis-spent my youth. I was only at St Mary's for a couple of years before moving elsewhere but still I'm surprised how the Brother Jack case seemed to have completely escaped my attention. I would be interested to know what the final outcome was, as apart from pre-trial news, there are zero indications online of what happened. I still have a clock that he helped me assemble - the only DT project that I managed to finish.

Some of you might find the photo archive accessible via this link brings back some (hopefully better) memories:

https://www.stmarysindependentschool.co.uk/old-simmarians/

Looking through the photos, what struck me is how many of the teachers would have stayed on basically for their entire careers. Some of them even had hair once upon a time.

During lockdown I've had enough time on my hands to look up some of the schools where I mis-spent my youth. I was only at St Mary's for a couple of years before moving elsewhere but still I'm surprised how the Brother Jack case seemed to have completely escaped my attention. I would be interested to know what the final outcome was, as apart from pre-trial news, there are zero indications online of what happened. I still have a clock that he helped me assemble - the only DT project that I managed to finish.

Some of you might find the photo archive accessible via this link brings back some (hopefully better) memories:

https://www.stmarysindependentschool.co.uk/old-simmarians/

Looking through the photos, what struck me is how many of the teachers would have stayed on basically for their entire careers. Some of them even had hair once upon a time.

Urggh those crappy brown blazers.