Customer Service alive and well at SMS

Edmonton Saint

After having my place assured in the match at SMS in May, Yesterday I visited the online store and placed an order for some shorts, socks etc. I also noticed in big letters it was advertising tracksuits as BOGOF and Shirts as BOGOF.. Now considering there was not one notice on the site about how the BOGOF worked, I ordered 1 tracksuit and 1 shirt, The parcel turned up today and I opened it to find my free items were not in there. I sent them an email explaining that to advertise something as BOGOF , then by me BUYING one like I did, Then I should get one free !

Now I have just had rather a rude lady from the store ring me up and respond to my email and say I needed to order 2 on the website to get a free one. I queried this and said I have searched the website high and low and there is no mention of this, She replied " She wasnt sure of the exact wording, but I needed to order two" End of conversation.

Brilliant, Perhaps I am being a muppet for not understanding how BOGOF works, Perhaps it does say on the website, But if I had gone into the store and picked up one of the items, I bet they would have told me I was entitled to another free !

After having my place assured in the match at SMS in May, Yesterday I visited the online store and placed an order for some shorts, socks etc. I also noticed in big letters it was advertising tracksuits as BOGOF and Shirts as BOGOF.. Now considering there was not one notice on the site about how the BOGOF worked, I ordered 1 tracksuit and 1 shirt, The parcel turned up today and I opened it to find my free items were not in there. I sent them an email explaining that to advertise something as BOGOF , then by me BUYING one like I did, Then I should get one free !

Now I have just had rather a rude lady from the store ring me up and respond to my email and say I needed to order 2 on the website to get a free one. I queried this and said I have searched the website high and low and there is no mention of this, She replied " She wasnt sure of the exact wording, but I needed to order two" End of conversation.

Brilliant, Perhaps I am being a muppet for not understanding how BOGOF works, Perhaps it does say on the website, But if I had gone into the store and picked up one of the items, I bet they would have told me I was entitled to another free !

Common sense says that they should have chucked in the additional items but I guess the onus is on you technically.

An online store is a virtual shop, so if I took one box of cornflakes to the till at Sainsburs they wouldn't usher me back to the cornflake aisle to pick up another box.

Harsh but probably fair, although, as I say, a little thought from the human being processing your order would have been nice.

She is wrong. You bought one and are now entitled to one free. There is plenty of advertising and consumer law to back this up, trust me.

Does that only apply to online shopping I wonder? As above, if I'm in an actual shop the onus would be on me to spot the BOGOF offer and take two boxes of cornflakes to the till.

Send it back for a refund and then reorder.

Common sense says that they should have chucked in the additional items but I guess the onus is on you technically.

An online store is a virtual shop, so if I took one box of cornflakes to the till at Sainsburs they wouldn't usher me back to the cornflake aisle to pick up another box.

Harsh but probably fair, although, as I say, a little thought from the human being processing your order would have been nice.

Yes but my point is that nowhere on the website does it say you need to put 2 items in your basket to get the free one. All it says is BOGOF. And like I said I brought 1, so should get the free one !

Send it back for a refund and then reorder.

This is the simplest way of doing it without kicking up a fuss - you have cancellation rights under the Distance Selling Regulations - you can send them back within 7 working days of you receiving them and get a full refund.

I would mention this to them and say that you can all save fuss by just getting them to send you the one free.

If you buy an item where there is a free second on offer the onus is on you to "pick up" the second item.

I think what the lady meant was that you had to order two but the cost would have been charged only for one.

If you go back to the club and explain your position, ie you wanted two I am sure they will satisfy. Phone the lady back and ask for her to refer you to her Manager.

If you go to Tesco and see bacon on Buy one get One Free, do you pick up one packet and throw a wobbly at the till when someone doesnt run around to get you your free one that you should have picked up yourself?

Common sense should have been engaged maybe?

Does that only apply to online shopping I wonder? As above, if I'm in an actual shop the onus would be on me to spot the BOGOF offer and take two boxes of cornflakes to the till.

I don't know about Sainsbury's, but some supermarkets have a system that causes a 'beep' when the item is being scanned, prompting the check-out operative to ask you if you realise you can get one free.

In fact, it sometimes annoys me because I'm forced to explain that I DON'T want a second one free if it is a perishable item.

I don't know about Sainsbury's, but some supermarkets have a system that causes a 'beep' when the item is being scanned, prompting the check-out operative to ask you if you realise you can get one free.

I'm glad I shop at posh Tory supermarkets in that case ;)

Yes thats all very well trousers, and I have realised that for myself now, But I still maintain it should say how the BOGOF works on the website. I Have brought an item in good faith expecting a free one in return.

I agree and i'd expect the club to resolve the situation in your favour. It would be gutter business practice if they didn't.

I had a little run in with Tesco customer services last week. I put a packet of tesco waffles in my trolley and when they tried to scan them no price came up. The bell gets pressed and a "senior" checkout worker comes along and tries scanning them - no price comes up. She then says i can't have the waffles because they can't get a price. I says i want the waffles and you'll have to find the price. She then says "what do you want me to do - make a price up?" in a sarcastic tone. I told her she had a bad attitude and she should learn to speak courteously to customers and i want to see the manager as i don't think she's helpful and i want to buy the waffles. The manager comes out and says they employ polish workers who shouldn't have put the waffles in the freezer. I says well that's not my problem, i want to buy them. He says i can't. I then say well if i can't have the waffles i don't want to buy the rest of my shopping and you can put it all back on the shelves. He says that's your choice. I say yeah it is. That's about it, but it really ****ed me off.

I had a little run in with Tesco customer services last week. I put a packet of tesco waffles in my trolley and when they tried to scan them no price came up. The bell gets pressed and a "senior" checkout worker comes along and tries scanning them - no price comes up. She then says i can't have the waffles because they can't get a price. I says i want the waffles and you'll have to find the price. She then says "what do you want me to do - make a price up?" in a sarcastic tone. I told her she had a bad attitude and she should learn to speak courteously to customers and i want to see the manager as i don't think she's helpful and i want to buy the waffles. The manager comes out and says they employ polish workers who shouldn't have put the waffles in the freezer. I says well that's not my problem, i want to buy them. He says i can't. I then say well if i can't have the waffles i don't want to buy the rest of my shopping and you can put it all back on the shelves. He says that's your choice. I say yeah it is. That's about it, but it really ****ed me off.

The moral of this tale is:

DON'T SHOP AT TESCO!

HTH :D

You really are waffling on a bit there!

Tesco's is ok.

A few months back we purchased 6 bottles of wine, retail price £7.99 each but the shelf showed a special offer of £5.19. My wife did not notice we had been charged full price less 5% bulk purchase until we got home so she phoned the store. They said the wine was not on offer but they would check the shelf and took our number.

Half an hour later they phoned back and said the price on the shelf was incorrect, thanked us for pointing it out, confirmed that we would indeed only be charged £5.19 per bottle, less 5% bulk purchase for 6 and doubled the refund for the inconvenience we had suffered and credited our barclaycard account.

RESULT :)

IF Tesco didn't (allegedly) avoid paying taxes ...

IF Tesco didn't pay its staff such awful wages ...

IF Tesco didn't control something like £8 out of every £10 spent in this country ...

IF Tesco hadn't taken over our local little shop and closed down the Post Office counter within (didn't affect me but a lot of older people without cars were affected) ...

I'd look more favourably on them. Their morality (or lack of - allegedly) is what puts me off shopping there.

Hmmm. you might have needed to put quantity as TWO, and the price would have been recalculated.

Sorry, she's got a point, I think. There was no need for her to be rude, of course.

IF Tesco didn't control something like £8 out of every £10 spent in this country ...

IF Tesco hadn't taken over our local little shop and closed down the Post Office counter within (didn't affect me but a lot of older people without cars were affected) ...

I'd look more favourably on them. Their morality (or lack of - allegedly) is what puts me off shopping there.

Again with the Tesco bashing...

Is it at all possible that all these bad stories come about through other less successful supermarket chains?

Allegedly my arse...

Oh and the Post Office would have almost certainly closed that counter down anyway...you may have noticed they do it a lot...the Bournemouth Post Office has been shut down and we now have a counter in WH Smith...i presume Tesco are to blame for this sorry state of affairs though...

Hmmm. you might have needed to put quantity as TWO, and the price would have been recalculated.

Sorry, she's got a point, I think. There was no need for her to be rude, of course.

But if it's not crystal clear on the website, putting quantity as two on a BOGOF risks you being sent four tracksuits which would be catastrophic.

In an attempt to contribute to saving the planet I think it should be an offence to waste words, so everyone has to get to the point as quickly as is possible, then noone would be offended by having the obvious pointed out, like this scenario, if we were restricted with words the lady would of just said "you got to buy 2 to get 1 free" call terminated, to the point, no need to fanny it up, I think the world would be a better place if we were allowed to operate like this on a daily basis, bit like those sales calls you get when they say "can I speak to the owner of the company" no sooner do you say he's not available they've put the phone down, no goodbye, kiss my arse nothing, the only words that can be wasted are if after pointing out the obvious you say 'dinlo' or something similar. Pleasantville imo

1. Allegedly is right and what multi national corporation doesn’t try to avoid paying Taxes.

2. Tesco pays more to its employees in wages and benefits than its other major competitors.

3. Think you'll find its £9 in every £10 put hey lets not bash a British success story eh. We do love to do that don’t we?

4. If you don’t like em don’t shop with em if that’s your stand point but while they have customers going through their doors they will continue to expand.

Oh and yes I do work for them. One of the best employers you'll find in this country.

But if it's not crystal clear on the website, putting quantity as two on a BOGOF risks you being sent four tracksuits which would be catastrophic.

Only talking from experience - I quite often buy rugby tops from Cotton Traders on-line, they alwas have offers on. I order two or three things as the offer describes, they re-calculate the price before checkout.

Its also what you do at a supermarket - bring stuff to checkout, price is recalculated.

In fact, it sometimes annoys me because I'm forced to explain that I DON'T want a second one free if it is a perishable item.

Half the planet is starving and you can't work out a way to give a free banana to someone who might be grateful for it...

I'm sure as Lord Sainsbury reclines in the back of his Bentley Superblower he is delighted at your indifference to the developing world... ;)

Edited by Legod Third Coming

And that's only the half of it, with Tesco. It's why I simply will not shop at Tesco.

BTW, As far as my limited understanding of BOGOF is, that's buy ONE and get ONE free, i.e. two items but only paying the one item price. BTGOF, would be buy TWO, get ONE free - 3 item, you pay 2/3rds. I can't see a leg that the club have to stand on. Send the items back and reorder. Oh, and scan your receipt for the postage you may have had to pay for, to reclaim that too.

I believe they were DUTY bound to SELL you those waffles. If it is on display it is for sale and you have the right to buy it.

Although this does not extend to the merchandising, tills and staff naturally...

Tesco's is ok.

A few months back we purchased 6 bottles of wine, retail price £7.99 each but the shelf showed a special offer of £5.19. My wife did not notice we had been charged full price less 5% bulk purchase until we got home so she phoned the store. They said the wine was not on offer but they would check the shelf and took our number.

Half an hour later they phoned back and said the price on the shelf was incorrect, thanked us for pointing it out, confirmed that we would indeed only be charged £5.19 per bottle, less 5% bulk purchase for 6 and doubled the refund for the inconvenience we had suffered and credited our barclaycard account.

RESULT :)

RESULT for them, as it's a lot cheaper than the £5000 fine they could have got from trading standards for the incorrect pricing ;)

1. Allegedly is right and what multi national corporation doesn’t try to avoid paying Taxes.

2. Tesco pays more to its employees in wages and benefits than its other major competitors.

3. Think you'll find its £9 in every £10 put hey lets not bash a British success story eh. We do love to do that don’t we?

4. If you don’t like em don’t shop with em if that’s your stand point but while they have customers going through their doors they will continue to expand.

Oh and yes I do work for them. One of the best employers you'll find in this country.

The policy of large supermarkets procuring at vastly reduced prices is one of the core reasons why Mad Cow Disease became prevelant.

Large supermarkets leant heavily on farmers to reduce costs.

They did and started to feed dead cows to other cows in order to retain a margin. Cows should eat grass. In fields. But keeping them there costs money. Money farmers didn't have because they were being screwed to operate at slimmer and slimmer margins because of the power of the large supermarkets.

FAIR and EQUITABLE supermarkets should surely pay what is required of their suppliers to deliver while making a fair and equitable margin for themselves.

Not screw an industry into the floor for the sake of shareholders?

How do your Chickens live btw? Still selling those that have lived life in a shoe box??

No disrespect to you. But there are things your company does in its supply chain that are far from contributory to a better world.

Yes, there are people who don't give a stuff how their chicken and bacon sandwich reached their plate. There are also people who don't care for speed limits or morality...