View Poll Results: Who Would You Rather Have in the Team Next Season

Voters
574. You may not vote on this poll
  • Schneiderlin

    306 53.31%
  • Wotton

    268 46.69%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 207

Thread: Schneiderlin - Saints Biggest Waste of Cash Ever?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Taking the hobbits to Isengard
    Posts
    9,155

    Default Schneiderlin - Saints Biggest Waste of Cash Ever?

    Okay, he is up against some pretty stiff competition. Delgado of course costing about £3m for about 3 games in 3 years. Jelle van Damme and David Prutton weren't the best players we've spent £2.5m each on and we spent way over the odds signing Darren Powell on a free transfer.

    But £1.2m (Yes everyone claims to be ITK about various aspects and how we "only" paid £600k up front etc) on an unproven French teenager, for a bankrupt club like Saints? I just do not get it.

    I don't want to write off a teenager, but lets take a peak at this seasons stats:

    Appearances - 33 (25 starts 8 sub)
    Goals - 0
    Assists - 0
    Shots on target - 4
    Shots off target - 12
    Headers won - 1

    That is absolutely f**king appaling, and he doesn't track back or tackle either. And he seems to have a worrying injury record.

    Today he just couldn't have looked less interested. Never put his foot in, never had a shot, made a run. Always played the obvious pass, never tried anything special, didn't track back and defend.

    Spending £1.2m on a player for Saints this season, would have been like spending £10m after the cup final IMO. The sooner Arsenal sign him the better.

  2. #2

    Default

    Agreed. and if we hadn't have bought him, we may not have gone into admin this season :/

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gävle, Sweden
    Posts
    3,515

    Default

    Started the season well in my opinion even if he didn't get assists or goals but after he got injured he never got going again. Very strange and indeed a big waste of money in the end.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    £4 million on delap and the delgaldo farce were the 2 biggest wastes for me. Morgan is only young and clearly not good enough..yet.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wandsworth, London
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    I suspect that there is a lot about that deal that we don't know about.

    Was it not around the time that we 'settled' with Arsenal for the balance of the Walcott money?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    I was there when Pancake went mad. 15/04/2010.
    Posts
    4,900

    Default

    Appearances - 33 (25 starts 8 sub)
    Goals - 0
    Assists - 0
    Shots on target - 4
    Shots off target - 12
    Headers won - 1


    Young Morgan has equal and/or better stats than Kelvin on 5 out of 6 of these points. Schnederlin is player of the season IMO. The stats don't lie.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beaumont, Jersey
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintandy666 View Post
    Agreed. and if we hadn't have bought him, we may not have gone into admin this season :/
    Totally agree, a truly awful waste of money

    I think he's got talent, but lacks the heart & fighting spirit to make him the top player he thinks he is

  8. #8

    Default

    Theres no way we paid for Schneiderlin. Still, player like him wouldn't be a waste anyway as he has potential and his value will increase. Maybe down a bit at the moment though.

    Probably a good player in a good team. Looked class early season. Lost interest and started to play like the rest of our team after that. Doubt he'd want to stay.

  9. #9

    Default

    It was 1.2m Euroes, not pounds!

    Small fee up front, rest based on apps goals etc

    Our only money signing and CLEARLY an investment (he's only 18/19)

    Take Kenwyn Jones for example, he was shocking when he arrived (at a similar age), now we'd do anything to have him back here.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On The Woolston Ferry
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Totally agree, a truly awful waste of money

    I think he's got talent, but lacks the heart & fighting spirit to make him the top player he thinks he is

    He is french

  11. #11

    Default

    If his transfer fee can let us to keep Stern John or Rasiak, then it can be the wrong decision. He can be a very good player in League 1, everyone knows he is better than Wotton. Gillet and him can be the key in our midfield next season.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Jersey/ Reading
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Tbh this season has been one of the worst seasons for signings, Schneiderlin, Smith, Gasmi, Pulis, Pekhart and Molyneux.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    er... SW11
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Perhaps spending £1.2m on Pearson's wages would have been a better investment, but of course that wasn't part of the revolutionary masterplan was it...

    Still, Lowe's 'genius' is there for all to see now - relegation, and administration. Job done.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saintjersey View Post
    Tbh this season has been one of the worst seasons for signings, Schneiderlin, Smith, Gasmi, Pulis, Pekhart and Molyneux.
    Pay peanuts and you get monkeys!

    If we had not signed any of them and kept Stern John or even possibly Rasiak or Sagga for the whole season then I feel we would not be in league 1 now.

    Of all the early season young signings hardly any of them have contributed anything and we would have been better served by playing our own players be they fringe or youngsters.

    Give me Wotton over Schneiderlin every time. It is no good if you have the ability but no heart, drive or passion for the game. These qualities go a long way in league 1 and Wotton has them all!

    Schneiderlin worst signing since that huge disappointment Skacel. Good riddance to both I hope!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    11,951

    Default

    1.2m euros for Schneiderlin is a much worse waste than Delgado, considering the position we were in.

    Lowe thought he was being clever and getting an investment but he's just lumbered us with an useless, uninterested french kid worth nothing.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hill Head
    Posts
    1,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    1.2m euros for Schneiderlin is a much worse waste than Delgado, considering the position we were in.

    Lowe thought he was being clever and getting an investment but he's just lumbered us with an useless, uninterested french kid worth nothing.
    Another Rupert knows best signing.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    George Sander's sweet cesspool
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Didn't the great Georges Prost recommended this player to us ? - Generally a good judge of a young talent but you can't win 'em all I suppose .

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hill Head
    Posts
    1,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPEL END CHARLIE View Post
    Didn't the great Georges Prost recommended this player to us ? - Generally a good judge of a young talent but you can't win 'em all I suppose .
    Did the manager have any say? Probably not!

  19. Default

    According to the Saints programme earlier in the season, the fee was £1.2m. Still suppose you should always take what the club says with a pinch of salt.

    He certainly looked OK at the start of the season, as did some of the other youungsters, but has been disappointing over the full term

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    11,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPEL END CHARLIE View Post
    Didn't the great Georges Prost recommended this player to us ? - Generally a good judge of a young talent but you can't win 'em all I suppose .
    I didn't realise Georges Prost was our manager!

    Wether Shneiderlin turns out to be a good player in 2,3, 5 or whatever years is completely irrelevant. Georges Prost may prove to be right.

    The only important fact is that this seasons squad needed a player like Scheiderlin like a hole in the head, any half decent manager could have seen that. Rupert knows best tho.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sold! Vindicated.
    Posts
    8,899

    Default

    I think he may have potential... just needs a new manager to kick his arse.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    George Sander's sweet cesspool
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    I didn't realise Georges Prost was our manager!

    Wether Shneiderlin turns out to be a good player in 2,3, 5 or whatever years is completely irrelevant. Georges Prost may prove to be right.

    The only important fact is that this seasons squad needed a player like Scheiderlin like a hole in the head, any half decent manager could have seen that. Rupert knows best tho.

    That's was part of the problem wasn't it ? We haven't had a 'Manager' all season just a Head Coach(s) whose responsibilities don't stretch as far as signing players apparently . Who'd have thought that system wouldn't work in the CCC .....oh yes it was us wasn't it .

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    53 miles west of venus
    Posts
    1,857

    Default

    I spent about 20 minutes of one game, (can't remember which one) watching him closely.
    Everything passed him by. Looked bored and uninterested. no attempt to chase 50/50's.

    He does have talent, just hope someone else thinks so and we make some cash back.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sold! Vindicated.
    Posts
    8,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teamsaint View Post
    I spent about 20 minutes of one game, (can't remember which one) watching him closely.
    Everything passed him by. Looked bored and uninterested. no attempt to chase 50/50's.

    He does have talent, just hope someone else thinks so and we make some cash back.
    or as I say a manager with an ounce of commitment is able to lead him.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Drinking beer with my friend the otter
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    According to the Saints programme earlier in the season, the fee was £1.2m. Still suppose you should always take what the club says with a pinch of salt.

    He certainly looked OK at the start of the season, as did some of the other youungsters, but has been disappointing over the full term

    Very poor at Exeter playing Centre Half....Could not head the ball and definitely could not tackle..Changed with Wotton and Spiderman marginally better on the ball in centre mid field but still bullied and frightened of the opposition...

    James when I saw him the year before at Exeter and in the reserves was a much better centre mid field.....Then again some say Spiderman will improve
    in a better side......Lost his way from a poor start.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Taking the hobbits to Isengard
    Posts
    9,155

    Default

    Added a rather hypothetical pole to make things sporting.

    I went for Wotton. He's an old clogger and it's uncannily like watching Jermaine Wright, but at least he can influence a game. Basically I've gone for crap over not giving a sh*t.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sold! Vindicated.
    Posts
    8,899

    Default

    Spiderman has potential. Wotton experience.

    No brainer though in this instance - Spiderman with a new manager to boot him up the arse.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    8,609

    Default

    Will be excellent at a club not infected from head to toe with 'Lowe is a swine virus'.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    the metropolis of Southampton
    Posts
    6,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wireframebox View Post
    I suspect that there is a lot about that deal that we don't know about.

    Was it not around the time that we 'settled' with Arsenal for the balance of the Walcott money?
    Yep something deffo fishy here.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sold! Vindicated.
    Posts
    8,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    Yep something deffo fishy here.
    Yep. But we still have him and I for one would expect him to be professional and play for the shirt. But that requires a manager who can instill some pride and passion.

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wireframebox View Post
    I suspect that there is a lot about that deal that we don't know about.

    Was it not around the time that we 'settled' with Arsenal for the balance of the Walcott money?
    No, that was a few months before, under Crouch's chairmanship I think. It was criticised by Lowe and given as one of the 'reasons' why the club 'needed' him back at the helm this season.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    beyond the dark side
    Posts
    2,310

    Default

    He is another youngster who should have played a dozen games - he does have talent but needs to bulk up and toughen up - a year in League One should do that nicely

  33. #33

    Default

    He will be quality in a few years.

  34. #34

    Default

    Schneiderlin can control a ball and pass but hasn't got his socks dirty all season. Wotton hoofs at every opportunity, chases shadows and fouls people. Gee we are spoilt for choice.

  35. Default

    Schneiderlin was one of our better players for the first half of the season (not saying much I know).

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Locks Heath ex Townhill
    Posts
    8,351

    Default

    he may be able to play problem was he was not the type of player we needed in reality only in ruperts and jp's world at staplewood where the cones do not tackle you

  37. #37

    Default

    to me i think we have wasted him by not playing him in the hole.
    he reminds me of a kind of riquelme player obviously without the goals so far but thats due to him playing def mid all season. also the stats are a bit ****** for him but i bet if you had the stats for his pass completion percentage ud see him in a more favourable light as thats what his game is about he is a great passer of the ball

  38. #38

    Default

    Schneiderlin played very well today imo.

    I would be delighted if he could play for us next season, hes a decent passer and holds the ball very well.

    He just needs some games to get his morale up.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    5,113

    Default

    He didn't play well at all. He's ****e, he just doesn't do anything at all. He just ponces around in the centre circle letting games pass him by.

    Gillett is a much better option in the middle.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Theres no way we paid for Schneiderlin.
    Pray tell us how you can back up this statement!

  41. #41

    Default

    Having to pay Marek Saganowski was a much, much bigger waste of money.

    I like Schneiderlin, clearly has talent but never got re-settled after injury, which was a shame.

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Polishing Nicola Cortese's 100ft bronze statue
    Posts
    1,845

    Default

    Jeez.

    We're ****ed, may not have a club next season, and you guys are still ****ing and *****ing about individual players' performances this season.

    Does it really matter?

    Let's get on with it and look forward to Yeovil.

  43. Default

    He's been disappointing.

    But nowhere close to our worse ever signing.

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Garden of England
    Posts
    240

    Default

    may yet come good he's only young after all. Luxury player for us but could be good in the right system and with right attitude

  45. #45

    Default

    Arsenal paid for most of his fee so don't worry about it.

    (Would prefer Wotton in League One)

  46. Default

    Considering the fragile position we were in on and off the pitch then Shcneiderlin's signing would appear to have been very poor value for money. In this instance it was the context of the signing that caused a stir.

    Throw in the fact that our Head Coach didn't appear to have signed him and never saw him play, then you do start scratching your head about just what was going on.

    But we have also had many duffers in the past.

    Speedie and Dixon in return for Shearer still makes me cringe. We then had a rash of players who IMHO never delivered e.g Ripley £2.5m!!, Howells (big wages) , Hughes (wages), Groves, Hirst £2m.

    Have we had more than our fair share?? Have we always seemed to buy many at mid range prices that then don't deliver?? Or are we exactly the same as many other clubs out there??

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    15,879
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Schneiderlin - aged 19.

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Taking the hobbits to Isengard
    Posts
    9,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Saints View Post
    Arsenal paid for most of his fee so don't worry about it.

    (Would prefer Wotton in League One)
    IF that is true then I still would worry about it.

    Imagine the Arsenal chariman coming up to you and said, "what would you prefer, the cash we owed you for the Walcott deal, or this unproven French teenager?"

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Taking the hobbits to Isengard
    Posts
    9,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by um pahars View Post
    Considering the fragile position we were in on and off the pitch then Shcneiderlin's signing would appear to have been very poor value for money. In this instance it was the context of the signing that caused a stir.

    Throw in the fact that our Head Coach didn't appear to have signed him and never saw him play, then you do start scratching your head about just what was going on.

    But we have also had many duffers in the past.

    Speedie and Dixon in return for Shearer still makes me cringe. We then had a rash of players who IMHO never delivered e.g Ripley £2.5m!!, Howells (big wages) , Hughes (wages), Groves, Hirst £2m.

    Have we had more than our fair share?? Have we always seemed to buy many at mid range prices that then don't deliver?? Or are we exactly the same as many other clubs out there??
    My argument isn't that he is the worst player that we've spent the most money on. More the fact that his transfer fee, with regards to our current financial situation is absolutely massive.

    £2m isn't going to send a Prem team into administration, but £1.2m (or the £600k upfront, or whatever it works out as) may well have done the trick here.

  50. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
    IF that is true then I still would worry about it.

    Imagine the Arsenal chariman coming up to you and said, "what would you prefer, the cash we owed you for the Walcott deal, or this unproven French teenager?"
    At the time, and if it was on Arsene Wenger's recommendation (who when it comes to spotting potential is the best around) I would probably have gone with the French teenager.

    Shame it hasn't worked out for him but he's still young and will probably go on to fulfill his undoubted potential elsewhere.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •