Joined the club

Having spent a fortune on PCs over the years, I decided to take the plunge today and bought a Macbook instead.

It's gonna take a little getting used to, but it already seems faster than Vista, and I know it's a cliche, but everything really did just work, straight out of the box!

So what do you hardened mac users recommend as my next steps - I've learnt how to 'right click' already, so go me!!!

Aluminium MacBook I hope ;)

PS. You may as well throw all of your Windoze stuff in the bin now - you'll never want to use them ever again.

Nah, went for the 'white' version, couldn't really justify the extra pennies to Mrs WSS for the aluminium one!!

One of my windoze ones is already in the bin, in many many pieces :)

The other I shall keep just in case I remember there is anything on there that I really need....

I too have kind of joined the club, I have a spare Mac Mini at work.... I have reinstalled the OS and will be plugging it in and having a play later to use it at home!!

Initial signs are good!! :)

Nothing wrong with the Mac Mini. I have one of these as well - hooked up to the LCD TV in our lounge and acting as our media hub. With the wireless keyboard and mouse it has the added bonus of internet through the tv for iPlayer, ITV Catchup, 4OD etc.

However you use yours, you'll love it compared to any Windoze box. Good decision.

To be clear, the "everything just works" factor is a bi-product of the operating system being specifically written for the hardware. And if you want to harp on about "yeah, what about the printers? etc?" That's covered by the HUGE 2gb install of JUST drivers!

I'm not knocking macs at all, I just get a bit sick of the whole "Apple is the only thing worth owning". For £700, I expect a keyboard that is sealed from hairs getting under it and a screen that doesnt do the same!

Many of the default bits of software just arent that much cop, particularly the mail and compression programs, and if you think you want to use your white macbook (mines got 4gb ram and LARGE hdd) for intensive stuff, forget it, it wont cope.

Dont bother installing Firefox, it wont work comfortably after about 20 mins and will easily eat 1gb of ram (use safari instead, which is ok, but lacks all the nice plugins written for firefox).

Do love the battery life tho.

If i want to work, I just reboot into XP and get work done, if i want to "play" then I use OSX.

Nothing wrong with the Mac Mini. I have one of these as well - hooked up to the LCD TV in our lounge and acting as our media hub. With the wireless keyboard and mouse it has the added bonus of internet through the tv for iPlayer, ITV Catchup, 4OD etc.

However you use yours, you'll love it compared to any Windoze box. Good decision.

Exactly my plan on how I was gonna use it at home... Media hub!!! Quite looking forward to getting all my tunes etc on it and blasting the video through my new 40" tv!!! Get in!! :)

I'm not knocking macs at all, I just get a bit sick of the whole "Apple is the only thing worth owning". For £700, I expect a keyboard that is sealed from hairs getting under it and a screen that doesnt do the same!

if you think you want to use your white macbook (mines got 4gb ram and LARGE hdd) for intensive stuff, forget it, it wont cope.

Don't know about you but the keyboard I have has never got any hairs in them. I's just a sheet of metal with buttons.

Secondly My old Mac book (white before they turned aluminium) I used to edit HD video content on it no problem I also used it for quite intense music operation and never had a problem. (1gb or ram and only 80gb) I was never able to do that on any PC without spending an absolute fortune.

• 2 weeks later...

I am hijacking this thread as I cannot start threads. I am getting a new laptop shortly and I have been weighing up whether or not to get a Mac. I have always used Windows but I'm not sure what to do. I only really use the computer now for word processing, web browsing, e-mail, photos, music etc. etc.

If they cost the same I would go for the macbook on looks alone but I can get a dell with similar spec for a good few hundred quid less, is the mac really worth the extra pennies?