suggestion for music before game starts.

dickyhale

• 9 years later...

I remember seeing on here a few years ago that someone praised the use of a particular song before a match that was by a musician from St Marys. I think might have died quite young, but I might be making that bit up.

I remember that although it was a well known (dance?) track, it found a wider audience when sampled/rereleased in the 90s or 00s by someone like Chemical Brothers or Fat Boy Slim or Oxide & Nutrino.

Anyone have any idea what it was? I've tried looking back through threads but no idea what to really search for.

I remember seeing on here a few years ago that someone praised the use of a particular song before a match that was by a musician from St Marys. I think might have died quite young, but I might be making that bit up.

I remember that although it was a well known (dance?) track, it found a wider audience when sampled/rereleased in the 90s or 00s by someone like Chemical Brothers or Fat Boy Slim or Oxide & Nutrino.

Anyone have any idea what it was? I've tried looking back through threads but no idea what to really search for.

Was it "Darude - Sandstorm"? Seem to recall that playing a fair bit. Or maybe Zombie Nation...

Personally, I would like to see a return of Queen's "One Vision".

Renegade Master by Wildchild is the track by the Southampton artist. The original is a great tune, afatboh slim remix is alright but doesn’t have the same driving beats. Would be very good and relevant to the city.

No music at all would be bliss. Might be able to hear what the person next to me is saying and may even allow the vocal support of both home and away to have a pre-match sing song without being drowned out by some ear splitting racket!! Fans used to create their own atmosphere. I remember Wembley 1976 - what a great pre-match atmosphere and not one piece of live music (apart from the national anthem!). Fast forward to our recent Wembley appearances and no pre-match atmosphere at all. Just some deranged mouthpiece screaming into a microphone interspersed with what passes for music these days!! Yes - I know I'm old and grumpy but does music really add to the match experience? Unless you can sing along to it, it seems rather contrived and pointless. (In my opinion of course).

No music at all would be bliss. Might be able to hear what the person next to me is saying and may even allow the vocal support of both home and away to have a pre-match sing song without being drowned out by some ear splitting racket!! Fans used to create their own atmosphere. I remember Wembley 1976 - what a great pre-match atmosphere and not one piece of live music (apart from the national anthem!). Fast forward to our recent Wembley appearances and no pre-match atmosphere at all. Just some deranged mouthpiece screaming into a microphone interspersed with what passes for music these days!! Yes - I know I'm old and grumpy but does music really add to the match experience? Unless you can sing along to it, it seems rather contrived and pointless. (In my opinion of course).

As another old and grumpy I couldn't agree more

Renegade Master by Wildchild is the track by the Southampton artist. The original is a great tune, afatboh slim remix is alright but doesn’t have the same driving beats. Would be very good and relevant to the city.

That's the one, thanks!

Always felt Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' is made for the occasion, good intro to build anticipation while the team are waiting in the tunnel and then an explosion of sound as they emerge onto the pitch. Then stop all music and let the pumped-up crowd take over. Although that would probably amount to a bit of polite clapping in most parts of the ground!

Spot on post

Music far too loud for pre match moaning with those around me about who is playing/not playing.

Bring back the Albion Band and even some half time Police Dog displays as an alternative to the kids running round the pitch.

btw whats happened to Benali's daughter - some suggestion she has been poached by Liverpool

Spot on post

Music far too loud for pre match moaning with those around me about who is playing/not playing.

Bring back the Albion Band and even some half time Police Dog displays as an alternative to the kids running round the pitch.

btw whats happened to Benali's daughter - some suggestion she has been poached by Liverpool

:lol::lol::lol: whoever came up with that deserves a medal for originality :lol::lol::lol:

Maybe we should drag ourselves into 2018 and play Total Football by Parquet Courts.

It makes sense because it's a great tune and we are universally renowned for playing that style of football. Plus I'd love to hear our fans chanting lines such as "collectivism and autonomy are not mutually exclusive"

Louis Armstrong's version of 'Oh When the Saints' or just haul the band in from the front of St Marys to play the instrumental version as players run on, keep it simple.

Then read out the team sheet to the instrumental of 'Valentine' by The Delays (away team sheet too, we are the only club I know not to do this) .

Would be nice to see some local artists showcased during pre game and half time too.

Louis Armstrong's version of 'Oh When the Saints' or just haul the band in from the front of St Marys to play the instrumental version as players run on, keep it simple.

Then read out the team sheet to the instrumental of 'Valentine' by The Delays (away team sheet too, we are the only club I know not to do this) .

Would be nice to see some local artists showcased during pre game and half time too.

Are the Valley Slags still going?

I’ve heard plenty of local artists played at matches. Band of Skulls, Delays, Sean McGowan, Mongo, Alan Fitzpatrick, Craig David, Jona Lewie have all been played at least once I’m sure

Always felt Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' is made for the occasion, good intro to build anticipation while the team are waiting in the tunnel and then an explosion of sound as they emerge onto the pitch. Then stop all music and let the pumped-up crowd take over. Although that would probably amount to a bit of polite clapping in most parts of the ground!

Absolutely, a great song and a great atmosphere builder.

No music at all before the game - or at least keep to background level so that we can talk. Come out to OWTS. We moan about other teams singing our song and don't even come out to it.

I'm also in the no music camp - or at least very little music. When I go to football I want to talk to the other regular supporters around me, not try to work out what they saying by mime!

And crowds geberate their own atmosphere. The music actually stops the singing building up before a match.

I don't now where the idea that if we don't have pre-game music the crowd will create its own atmosphere comes from. The singing sections at SMS are half empty at kick off people round us are still taking their seats fives minutes after kick off and the rest of the ground is to busy chatting (apparently) to sing. The only people making a noise before kick off are the away fans so anything that drowns them out is fine by me.

• 1 month later...
Are we really sure about this?

I'm all for a bit of tradition but f**kinell, does it have to be sung with a Cornish accent too? #laughingstock

One of the few, if only, songs totally unique to us, one that's sung occasionally by the fans on away days (generally with a smaller support), and is widely liked by most people. As for the accent, that's just the Aampshire drawl mush, i'd imagine a significant number of us here have a version of it, we may as well own that instead of being plastic mockneys like the blue few.

Let's take a lead from Virginia Tech...make sure you watch it all, spine-tingling.

Stuff I like:

Bouncing boobs

"Hookie stone"

Having a metal track

Building some suspense

Stuff I don't like:

The LGBT sailors parade

"let's go" w@nkers

Having a metal track but picking one that's basically a pop song

Tights and shoulder pads