Adobe Flash Player

chrisobee

I'm trying to download Adobe Flash Player onto a new PC but just get this message which might as well be written in Swahili for all the sense it makes to me :

Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems

Issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system.

Reason

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following Flash Player 10.

Solution

To use Flash Player to view Flash content on a 64-bit operating system, youmust run a 32-bit browser.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

My final option it appears was to write to Packard Bell as below, I'm almost sure there is no solution until a new version of Adobe Flash Player is released ( I believe they are working on it)

Re: Purchase of PC IExtreme X6618 UK

I have just taken delivery of new Packard Bell PC. The aim of course was to improve further my enjoyment of the world of computers and particularly the Internet.

However, as far as I have been able to ascertain the fact I have IE 64 installed ( and cannot it seems run IE 32) means I cannot use any version of a Flash Player which would enable me to enjoy sites such as Youtube. Now I still have my old PC and it seems the only way I could access this and other sites is to swap back and forth between the 2 PC's which not surprisingly I find absurd.

Is there actually a way I can download a suitable and compatible Flash Player or am I going to have to resign myself to the very inconvenient choice of either not accessing many sites or indeed using both my PC's !?

I await your reply with interest.

Regards,

Chris O'Bee

It must be possible, chris, as I'm sat at a 64 bit HP desktop which runs both 32 bit and 64 bit Internet Explorer. Unfortunately they were already set up when I got it so I can't actually help with that bit.

It must be possible, chris, as I'm sat at a 64 bit HP desktop which runs both 32 bit and 64 bit Internet Explorer. Unfortunately they were already set up when I got it so I can't actually help with that bit.

Lucky old you lol I hope HP will in that case tell me how I do it! I did download 32 bit IE but at the end of the download was told it was not compatible wih my 62 bit PC :(

Ok, I have finally found a "fix". I am now running Firefox Browser and this has enabled me to instal Flash Player. I have not a clue how or why this works when other downloads didn't but it does ! Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris

No, with me and PC's no question is a daft one ;) I'm pretty sure both versions are ! Should I remove IE8 and if so how !?

Right, Im getting confused now.

What OS are you running? Im going to assume (as its a new PB PC) that it's Vista 64.

The end goal, if Im correct, is IE8-32 and IE8-64 being on there.

What version of IE do you have currently, and what bit-version?

Right, Im getting confused now.

What OS are you running? Im going to assume (as its a new PB PC) that it's Vista 64.

The end goal, if Im correct, is IE8-32 and IE8-64 being on there.

What version of IE do you have currently, and what bit-version?

Pancake, it would probably help if you told him how to check that. I'm not sure if I'd know how.

Indeed I am not sure but if it helps this is the product info:

Intel® Core 2 Quad Q8200

(2.33GHz, 4MB Cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

4GB DDR2 memory

640GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)

In terms of IE I have Firefox which supports Flash Player and IE64 which clearly does not. On my desktop the IE icon takes me to IE64 though accessing Firefox is simply a question of doing so via the start menu. Ideally though I'd like the Desktop link to open Firefox by default though it's not really too much of an issue!

Daft question Chris, but are you sure that both versions of IE are not on the system?

Dead right pancake both the 32bit and 64bit versions will be installed.

You just need to find the right icon to use the 32bit version.

To work around this behavior, run the Iexplore.exe program from the Syswow64 folder. This procedure installs the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer into your computer.