New router problem

Barfy

I've just got my new router after joining Sky broadband, and so far have wirelessly connected the following to the net:

1 pc with Win Vista Ultimate, Win 7 RC and Ubuntu 8.04

1 laptop with XP pro

1 Nokia n95

1 PS3

all without any problems.

My other laptop (Toshiba Sat Pro L10 with XP home) will not connect to the router, let alone the internet though. It can detect the network (plus about 5 others locally) but it just sits there trying to acquire a network address. I have tried everything I can think of in windows, and have even tried using the Tosh utility that is installed on the laptop.

Does anyone have any suggestions before the laptop goes out of the window?

How big is the DHCP range on the router?

I'm not sure what that means, but think it might relate to my question :D

How many 'wired' connection ports are there on the router - as if you were connecting everything with wires and not wirelessly.

Generally the number of these will be an indication of how many wireless connections the router can handle at the same time.

My guess is your router can only handle four at one time, so try shutting one down and connecting another...

@WSS

It wouldn't be a limitation of the router on 4/5 connections - could be a limitation on the Sky firmware to try and get you to purchase a better router possibly? I know they put their own crappy firmware on perfectly good routers to give other limitations such as not being able to change username/password.

Bit of a stab in the dark though. I expect its a problem with the laptop rather than the router.

saint_stevo: DHCP range is standard as far as I can tell (0.1 - 0.255) :confused:

I'm only connecting one or two wirelessly at a time, though there are 4 ports on the router (Sagem F@st 2504 I think).

I'll give the winsockfix a try. Likewise I think it's the laptop.

It is a little disappointing that I can't easily go back to the 3Com router that I have been using, but as long as I've got net access I'm not too worried for now.

It could well be the Tosh utility thats causing the problem! I always let windows manage the wireless connections.

Can your laptop connect to other wireless networks?

Is there a sync button that you have to press on the router when you connect a new device to it?

It could well be the Tosh utility thats causing the problem! I always let windows manage the wireless connections.

Can your laptop connect to other wireless networks?

Is there a sync button that you have to press on the router when you connect a new device to it?

As of yesterday the laptop was connecting without any problems to my 3Com router and then onto the net. I'm not able to access any other networks at the moment, but am waiting until the neighbours come home to see if I can try theirs.

The router's quite basic. As I said above, I've got 4 different OS's onto it so far plus PS3 and mobile phone.

If I assign a LAN IP to the laptop it will connect but with no signal strength and saying it's unsecured, even though WPA-PSK is enabled on the router and laptop :confused:

ok, it seems I may have solved the problem. I tried to install new drivers for the wireless adapter earlier but windows didn't recognise them as being newer. So out of pure frustration I manually replaced the driver files, and bingo I now have t'internet back :D

Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

instead of starting a new thread i though i would hi-jack this one, can you please recommend a decent wireless router to be used with talk talk (dont know if that makes a difference but thought id add it in just incase) that isnt to expensive for my laptop and ps3 to be hooked up too?

Edited by Iowsaintsfan

instead of starting a new thread i though i would hi-jack this one, can you please recommend a decent wireless router to be used with talk talk (dont know if that makes a difference but thought id add it in just incase) that isnt to expensive for my laptop and ps3 to be hooked up too?

What's not expensive..? £25, £35, £50..?

Talk Talk use BT lines, so anything from here.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/products/a843x1y0z1p0s0n0m0

Unless you have screamingly fast broadband [over 50mbps] there's really no point in paying over £50. In fact, £26 would be plenty. The Philips is well thought of, and Netgear have a very good reputation for quality and reliability. Everyone else is in between. If you didn't know it already, make sure you have a microfilter for each wall connected phone you have in the house. One will come with the router. If you want a Netgear, you can also buy a package, i.e. with an additional wireless adapter.

What's not expensive..? £25, £35, £50..?

Talk Talk use BT lines, so anything from here.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/products/a843x1y0z1p0s0n0m0

Unless you have screamingly fast broadband [over 50mbps] there's really no point in paying over £50. In fact, £26 would be plenty. The Philips is well thought of, and Netgear have a very good reputation for quality and reliability. Everyone else is in between. If you didn't know it already, make sure you have a microfilter for each wall connected phone you have in the house. One will come with the router. If you want a Netgear, you can also buy a package, i.e. with an additional wireless adapter.

Thanks for the advice