Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Paul Clement will be terrible, I was saying that to a mate when he was appointed. Early doors, but I honestly believe he will be.

Hyped to the hills but always looked one that could go either way to me. Former assistant to Carlo Ancelotti. A role previously held by managerial greats like, er, Ray Wilkins.

Agree

Much better than expected and expect them to go up this year.

Derby really were poor

Let's get this right, half of the Skate first team was marginally better than Derby's reserves. I've been saying they'd be up in three seasons for 2 and a half years now...

The clear point is that they have gone for broke financially to gain promotion this time around. And if they bugger it up it will be a big issue.

They'd never do that, would they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are. Ugh if we want them to play us, we are on a hiding to nothing.Let them go out next round away up north to a L2 club where they get little revenue. Why do people want to fill their coffers by playing us and also having the opportunity to roll us over.Its madness. Derby games are not like a normal match and things get evened up

We are. Ugh if we want them to play us, we are on a hiding to nothing.Let them go out next round away up north to a L2 club where they get little revenue. Why do people want to fill their coffers by playing us and also having the opportunity to roll us over.Its madness. Derby games are not like a normal match and things get evened up

You're a mentalist, maybe "evened up" within the parameters of two Championship sides playing each other where the only decider is effort, not a top 7 Prem side who regularly shuts down other teams and a vaguely competent League 2 side which ships a goal at home against a Championship reserve side - we'd slaughter them. And THAT is why we want to play them. I'd be gutted if we didn't stick at least 5 on them with the first team playing.

I also don't think you know what "fill their coffers" means. :)

The clear point is that they have gone for broke financially to gain promotion this time around. And if they bugger it up it will be a big issue.

I'm still not convinced that they have gone for broke, tbh - they are a big club for Division 4 (lol) and should have a turnover that dwarfs most of their rivals.

Additionally, even if they do overspend and get into the poop again they are so bloody tinpot at the moment that their debts will be trifling in comparison to the amounts they've written off before. Another whip round among the toothless few should be able to clear that up again.

I'm still not convinced that they have gone for broke, tbh - they are a big club for Division 4 (lol) and should have a turnover that dwarfs most of their rivals.

Additionally, even if they do overspend and get into the poop again they are so bloody tinpot at the moment that their debts will be trifling in comparison to the amounts they've written off before. Another whip round among the toothless few should be able to clear that up again.

The only measure of "bigness" that matters is the size of their income versus the size of their expenditure. While they do get bigger attendances, they sell their tickets very cheaply. Their gross income on season tickets is well below a tenner a game. Set against that is the huge cost, by L2 standards, of keeping Fratton Park open. It is a money pit they simply can't afford, as evidenced by the lack of TV facilities last night.

They have gambled all this year on reaching the rich financial rewards of league 1. They have no safety net left. The parachute payments, the Tesco money and the fans wonga.com accounts are all empty.

So they are sailing very close to the wind. They have a fair chance of going up one league this season, but if they don't...

You're a mentalist, maybe "evened up" within the parameters of two Championship sides playing each other where the only decider is effort, not a top 7 Prem side who regularly shuts down other teams and a vaguely competent League 2 side which ships a goal at home against a Championship reserve side - we'd slaughter them. And THAT is why we want to play them. I'd be gutted if we didn't stick at least 5 on them with the first team playing.

Mentalist (whatever that means, I assume an insult). I thought you would understand how us playing them in a League cup game would even things up. I dont think we would play our strongest side against them(we didn't do so when we were close to the qtr finals of the FA cup)and they would raise their game,especially if it was at FP. Cup games and coming 7th in the league means SFA when it comes to knock-out competitions.

We have everything to lose, even if we won by 3 or 4 it would be brushed off as we are the PL club. Let them languish going out against L2 opposition

Does it actually matter financially if they go up? It's not like there's a massive improvement in the prize money available.. from what I remember, there's very little difference between L1 and L2 when it comes to Prize money.

It's not so much about prize money, more the huge crowds that will flock to Fratton to see the Division 3 giants like Shrewsbury, Rochdale and Port Vale.

We have everything to lose, even if we won by 3 or 4 it would be brushed off as we are the PL club. Let them languish going out against L2 opposition

Except that they still bang on about their win against us in the cup with the team they couldn't afford, against our League 1 youngsters.

If we drew them in the cup, I'd love it - and would totally accept us smashing them. I saw them last night, and they were dreadful. Derby practically gave them the tie - I mean, that first goal... it looked like their keeper had a tenner on the first goal scorer ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Except that they still bang on about their win against us in the cup with the team they couldn't afford, against our League 1 youngsters.

If we drew them in the cup, I'd love it - and would totally accept us smashing them. I saw them last night, and they were dreadful. Derby practically gave them the tie - I mean, that first goal... it looked like their keeper had a tenner on the first goal scorer ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm on the 'we have nothing to gain' side of the fence. Unless we won 7 or 8-0 then the result is expected. And occasionally a L2 club can raise their game and put out PL giants, look at Bradford. These things can happen. Plus it would be a good pay day for them.

I can't believe people don't want to play them whilst the gap is so big. We're not going to get much higher and they're not going to get much lower.What do people want, to wait till they're top half of league one or god forbid Championship, it'll be a lot harder game then. They'll be delighted they've missed us the last 2 seasons as we would have mullered them.Let's get it on whilst they're still totally shiete as opposed to waiting until they're a little bit shiete

Forget this nonsense about " nothing to gain" , they still bang on about the 1-4 despite the fact they were clear favourites . They haven't got a lot to cling on to, but us not having beat them for 10 years and the two 4-1's are two things they have.

A nice 5 or 6 would be nice , but even a 1-0 will be OK. In the grand scheme of things its more likely to be a hammering than them scraping a win.

I'm on the 'we have nothing to gain' side of the fence. Unless we won 7 or 8-0 then the result is expected. And occasionally a L2 club can raise their game and put out PL giants, look at Bradford. These things can happen. Plus it would be a good pay day for them.

Agree with you especially if the team v Sheffield Utd turned up

I seem to recall the skates took a great deal of pleasure when their 'on tick' prem side beat us whilst we were two divisions lower. I don't give a **** what league they are in, that's their fault and problem, if we get them in the cup and take them to pieces I will be more than happy with that.

Forget this nonsense about " nothing to gain" , they still bang on about the 1-4 despite the fact they were clear favourites . They haven't got a lot to cling on to, but us not having beat them for 10 years and the two 4-1's are two things they have

Isn't that what distinguishes us from them though? They do indeed bang on about insignificant 'victories' (and even 2-2 draws) but we don't because we're a tad more intelligent and sophisticated than that. I'd rather not lower ourselves to their level personally.

I'm not sure I could stomach us playing pompey in the cup and putting six past them, it seems a bit unfair as they are not really our rivals any more.

But on reflection....I'm prepared to give it a go if others are keen on the idea.

Count me in !

Isn't that what distinguishes us from them though? They do indeed bang on about insignificant 'victories' (and even 2-2 draws) but we don't because we're a tad more intelligent and sophisticated than that. I'd rather not lower ourselves to their level personally.

I'm more than happy to remove any recent grounds for gloating before adopting the moral high ground anyway.

And anyone who thinks we'd field a weakened team... it would still be five times better than anything they could put out.

Why would anyone not want to play them now? I am 99% sure we would absolutely spank them silly, and even if the worst did happen and they somehow pulled off some incredible shock then we would still be a top 10 Prem side, playing in a proper stadium with flushing toilets and a working clock and they would still be whatever league they are in these days, playing in a rickety shack, covered in p1ss, without a clue what day it is let alone time.

League Cup Round 2 Draw....

Pompey v Reading

Full draw FWIW....

Aston Villa v Notts County

Walsall v Brighton

Crystal Palace v Shrewsbury

Sheffield Wednesday v Oxford

Portsmouth v Reading

Hartlepool v Bournemouth

Fulham v Sheffield United

MK Dons v Cardiff

Hull City v Rochdale

Sunderland v Exeter

Bury v Leicester City

Doncaster v Ipswich

Rotherham v Norwich City

Swansea City v York

QPR v Carlisle

Barnsley v Everton

Peterborough v Charlton

Birmingham v Gillingham

Newcastle United v Northampton

West Brom v Port Vale

Wolves v Barnet

Burton v Middlesbrough

Luton v Stoke City

Preston v Watford

Yeah. We play them and we'd definitely win. Of course we would.

I would happily never play the cu nts for a decade. Don't give them the satisfaction.

A home evening cup tie? But, but, but what about the new (intergalactic standard) floodlights?

Keen nutjobs might recall an interview given by Mr Catlin a couple of pages back, post number 103726. At 2.10 into that interview he talks about the new floodlights and says they "will be done after the Derby game in time for the next home game, the night time game".

But their next home night time game won't be at the end of September against Exeter as previously scheduled but the Capital One Cup match to be played in a couple of weeks time.

The best laid schemes of mice and men ...

A home evening cup tie? But, but, but what about the new (intergalactic standard) floodlights?

Keen nutjobs might recall an interview given by Mr Catlin a couple of pages back, post number 103726. At 2.10 into that interview he talks about the new floodlights and says they "will be done after the Derby game in time for the next home game, the night time game".

But their next home night time game won't be at the end of September against Exeter as previously scheduled but the Capital One Cup match to be played in a couple of weeks time.

The best laid schemes of mice and fish fiddlers ...

Can't have you calling the inhabitants of the Sceptic Isle men so fixed it for you.

Thats what the clowns that run the club will be selling if it all goes Pete Tong.

Edited by Toomer

Forget this nonsense about " nothing to gain" , they still bang on about the 1-4 despite the fact they were clear favourites . They haven't got a lot to cling on to, but us not having beat them for 10 years and the two 4-1's are two things they have.

The most significant 4-1 of all is now firmly in our favour and will be recorded in the annals of history of the rivalry between the clubs long after the significance of their two 4-1s are long forgotten.

It is that we are in Division one and they are in Division four. I for one think that is worth throwing back in their faces each time they mention their Pyrrhic victories

The 4-1 that really counts is the four owners that year compared to our one.

I think even the most toothless of their lucky heather selling sister-fiddlers would have to admit that our one had slightly more class and integrity - and has achieved far greater things.

Why would anyone not want to play them now? I am 99% sure we would absolutely spank them silly, and even if the worst did happen and they somehow pulled off some incredible shock then we would still be a top 10 Prem side, playing in a proper stadium with flushing toilets and a working clock and they would still be whatever league they are in these days, playing in a rickety shack, covered in p1ss, without a clue what day it is let alone time.

I also want us to absolutely murder them, obviously.

The 4-1 that really counts is the four owners that year compared to our one.

I think even the most toothless of their lucky heather selling sister-fiddlers would have to admit that our one had slightly more class and integrity - and has achieved far greater things.

Aren't we leading 1-4 on Administrations as well?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})