Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

The problem with imposing any sort of "automatic relegation" punishment on a club that goes into administration is that clubs don't always go into administration during the summer, when it would be easy to relegate them and rejig the fixtures. In Pompey's case, they went into admin in February - with an auto-relegation rule, where's the incentive for them to bother trying for the rest of the season if they know they're going down anyway?

Just give them a points deduction that means they cannot stay up.

A small speck or particle of dust?

That'll learn yer not to sack the cleaning lady!!

Looks like (For sale sign posts) that have blown over in the wind, OR! foundations of a Mad Mandy bridge,

Oh and i have been hear every day, Just had nowt to cherp about,

Every time you see an image of Nottarf Krap it looks a sh1thole - even in the News. I did wonder if people were taking deliberately unflattering photos to highlight their predicament....

Then I realised that they were probably the most flattering photos they could find so as not to discourage potential buyers.

On the subject of automatic relagation for going the "adminministration" way, the football rulers said, for example from September 2014 you get your b*****ks chewed off and sent down then all the clubs know whats coming and have time to get their house in order. Give 'em all a couple of years then F*****g hammer them otherwise it is not a fair playing field. As it is now,Coventry should be spitting feathers.

This is how bad it has become........If Saints are promoted before the last game of the season and Coventry need to win to stay up therefore relagating portsmuff,i want Saints to lose because portsmuff have "cheated".

That is wrong but in that case i will be cheering the sky blues.

Dirty cheating skate inbread mother f***ers should be punished and if they avoid relagation this season then it's no punishment. Why don't every club spend millions and say f**k 'em all we never have to pay our debts and the FL/FA cannot do anything about it, -10 points means nothing if you stay in the Division,-10 points every f*****g season,so what.

Or have i missed something

What about the scenario(and it could happen) a team wins the Championship after being deducted ten points for entering admin.Doesn't matter, loads of gold bars in the posh league,pay off your debts job done

K,Billy's supersound asked :-

"so what do all the experts on here think will happen tomorrow then when TB is

back in court giving his update on pompeys prospects?"

I am an extremely long way from being an expert but going on past experience

I fully expect that "they" will just be allowed carry on as normal. I am sure that

TB won't apply to wind them up and the Court will just bumble along as usual and

not ask any questions that might rock the boat. :x:x:x

Edited by Saint in Paradise

Just found this nice little peice from the Guradian dating back to 2004 on the top 10 worst football grounds in the UK. No surprises for guessing which ground was on that list.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/oct/10/newsstory.sport2

I guess the only surprise from it was that Nottarf Krap was as low as number 5 (I thought it would have made top 3) but there are some things that just haven't changed in 8 years (particularly the comment about the toilets and TCWTB)

5. Fratton Park, Portsmouth

Capacity 19,973, Built 1897, Prices £26-£30

· 'Portsmouth drum up a fervent atmosphere for every home game, but there the potential positives end. From the barbed-wire-topped walls to the sprawling wasteland, it's an unwelcoming venue. You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a prison. The toilets were clearly designed for no more than two fans at any one time. The seats are bolted directly on to the old-style terracing, offering zero leg room. Then there's that bloody non-stop bell-ringing.'

· 'Portsmouth should not have been allowed to play Premiership football at such an ancient stadium. Tradition is one thing, but £30 for being exposed to the elements, with miniature toilets supplemented by a handful of Portaloos, and a coffee bar the size of my old mum's larder... it's nothing short of a disgrace.'

· 'On the walk from the station you'll find the bars shut before the match because locals have tried to fight the away fans, themselves, or the nearest aggressive lamp-post.'

I was going to highlight some of the best parts but the whole narrative itself is the best part, although I particularly like the last sentence - that was my experience after spending 3 years living in that dump!!

Just found this nice little peice from the Guradian dating back to 2004 on the top 10 worst football grounds in the UK. No surprises for guessing which ground was on that list.

I guess the only surprise from it was that Nottarf Krap was as low as number 5 (I thought it would have made top 3) but there are some things that just haven't changed in 8 years (particularly the comment about the toilets and TCWTB)

I was going to highlight some of the best parts but the whole narrative itself is the best part, although I particularly like the last sentence - that was my experience after spending 3 years living in that dump!!

Mind you with Brighton at there new ground this is the only league which pompey have moved up a place

so what do all the experts on here think will happen tomorrow then when TB is back in court giving his update on pompeys prospects?.

Are we sure this is happening? Only reference I can remember is one random post on a skaet board from someone who may have been on a wind-up?

Are we sure this is happening? Only reference I can remember is one random post on a skaet board from someone who may have been on a wind-up?

I believe so.

I believe it is more a formality today though, to re-assure the courts that they DO have the cash to last until the end of the season - which I believe they just about have now.

However, I expect TB to announce that should they not find a buyer between now and the end of the season, they will HAVE to liquidate as soon as the season is done - still nothing new there.....

Now here's a shocker!!!!!!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/league-chairman-will-do-all-he-can-to-save-pompey-1-3606386

Don't bother with any more e-mails to the FL chaps, they have just thrown their weight behind the 'save the cheats' campaign....grrrrrrrr!!!!

and people scoffed when I and others say they will get away with it! I have said before that too many people at the top wish to keep the lid on dealings that may have happened when the cash went adrift. FA's throughout the world had dealings with Pompey, how much was dirty money?

Iam amazed how other clubs let this happen, and lie down and let them do it.

and people scoffed when I and others say they will get away with it! I have said before that too many people at the top wish to keep the lid on dealings that may have happened when the cash went adrift. FA's throughout the world had dealings with Pompey, how much was dirty money?

Iam amazed how other clubs let this happen, and lie down and let them do it.

Merely looks like more spin from Pompey FC's mouthpiece to me

Found this bit too, thought it would have been above the san siro, personally.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1101536/THE-LIST-10-1-atmospheric-stadiums-football.html

and people scoffed when I and others say they will get away with it!

I think most people on here participating in the "it's behind you" pantomime that is the Pompey Takeover Thread have always felt deep down that there was a good chance they would 'get away with it'. Indeed, I think most would prefer for them to survive on a life support machine so the thread can trundle on for years to come.

Or....Greg Clarke can see the "Football League helped sink Pompey" bad PR flak that would come their way from certain quarters if/when Pompey go under, so he hastily goes on record in an article in the local press saying they will do all they can to help, which he can refer back to at the end of the season as a "Hey, look, at least we tried to help" stake in the ground.

Who knows.

Edited by trousers

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/league-chairman-will-do-all-he-can-to-save-pompey-1-3606386

Don't bother with any more e-mails to the FL chaps, they have just thrown their weight behind the 'save the cheats' campaign....grrrrrrrr!!!!

No, it's just more guff & hot air tbh.

We'll give them the £200k a month (which they were due anyway) on the proviso that they don't spunk it up against the wall like they have with their other cash. Oh and we'll make sure that any buyer is 'fit & proper', but here is what the owners & directors test covers so we can cover our arses anyway.

We did what we could.

The Football League were never going to let a Championship side go the wall - it's as much their showcase as the Prem is the FA's. If they stay up this season, particularly now they appear to have funds to avoid loaning out any more of their better players, they will truly have got away with it. But get to the close season, if they are relegated, it looks a whole different scenario.

Also, however forgiving the FL are, there must surely be sanctions for failing to keep to their original CVA. Surely effectively cancelling because of another insolvency event then bringing out a new one paying even less must carry some penalty.

Some time around this thread's 3rd birthday - just before the fixtures come out - would be my date for the moment of truth.

The Football League were never going to let a Championship side go the wall - it's as much their showcase as the Prem is the FA's. If they stay up this season, particularly now they appear to have funds to avoid loaning out any more of their better players, they will truly have got away with it. But get to the close season, if they are relegated, it looks a whole different scenario.

Also, however forgiving the FL are, there must surely be sanctions for failing to keep to their original CVA. Surely effectively cancelling because of another insolvency event then bringing out a new one paying even less must carry some penalty.

Some time around this thread's 3rd birthday - just before the fixtures come out - would be my date for the moment of truth.

Thing is, I just can't see that happening now. Look at their current form - 2 draws and 5 defeats in their last seven games, having only scored two goals. Even if they were safe right now that would be worryingly bad form, but they are currently 6 points from safety and all other teams around them have shown they are capable of winning games recently. They've got a patched up squad of loanees following the departure of Lawrence and Huseklepp, and an inexperienced manager who appears to be cracking under the pressure.

Put it this way, I wouldn't be in any hurry to go out and put any bets on them staying up.

Not sure they do have enough yet to stop any more loans out. Birch's response when the £200k a month (subject to football debts) implied it would give them just about enough, with maybe another loan or two. I'll be surprised if Henderson or somebody else does not go. Not that that should be too much of a handicap for them on the field. After all their 2nd choice keeper is on £12 a week, so presumably he ought to be one of the best in this division !

But like you, I think their real problems will start in the close season. By then I hope they will be in L1, with no matchday income coming in, far fewer season tickets sales than usual - if indeed they have the nerve to sell any STs whilst still in admin - no buyer, and some of the loan players returning and all the players wanting paying 100% of their huge wages again. IF they make it through the close season, it is unlikely they will be financially 'clean' by the start of next season, so unless the FL has gone really soft since Mawhinney left, another points deduction looms, and therefore maybe another relegation

Personally that is my dream scenario -- no clean death, but rather a long, slow, lingering, painful decline to eventual L2 obscurity.

The FL were always going to do what they can to help PFC just as they would any FL club facing liquidation.

Money due to PFC was withheld to cover "football debts" but holding that money would likely mean liquidation. That is what Birch will have likely told them. He is respected, unlike AA, so they will believe him. He is probaby correct anyway.

PFC have already been punished with -10 points. If they continued to withhold the outstanding £400,000 and the upcoming £400,000 that would hardly pay off the "football debts". Better they trust someone like Birch to try to find an owner who will then have to pay off all the "football debts". Of course a win in the Courts for HMRC will change that position.

PFC's big problem is trying to sell a major loss making club with minimum facilities and a major wage bill with binding contracts running for at least another season. That with a club that faces the reality of Div 1 football. I just cannot see a genuine buyer. Even the Trust could not raise the money to do what is needed!

They have not got away with it. Relegation, which looks favourite will put them back where they belong. Punishment enough for me but I am not one of the poor individuals who will lose money because PFC will not be paying the bills.

@TonyHusbandBBC: #pompey Tory group on Portsmouth City Council table a motion asking council to consider buying Fratton Park. To be discussed later in month.

Sod all the services shutting down due to cutbacks lets spunk all the council tax on buying Fratton park.

The FL were always going to do what they can to help PFC just as they would any FL club facing liquidation.

They weren't exactly supportive and empathetic to Saints during our troubled times, for example:

Their statement read: ''The administrators and the club were informed of the League's intention to issue a release on the findings of the independent forensic report five minutes before its publication, leaving no time for consultation and to inform fans, players and staff.

''We are of the opinion that an incorrect conclusion has been reached. The football regulations do not apply to the circumstances surrounding Southampton Football Club.''

Saints also refuted the Football League's claim they withdrew their co-operation towards the investigation.

The statement concluded: ''Both the club and the administrators are now considering their positions and expect to launch an appeal.''

''The weight of all three of those made it clear that the club's affairs were inextricably linked to the holding company and, as a consequence, we took the view that an administrator had been appointed relating to the club and therefore we had no choice under our regulations but to apply the sporting sanctions.

''I have sympathy for the fans but the fans know as well as the rest of us that this has not been a shining example of football management.

"We have had changes and tension at board level and so the fans have had a difficult time.

''I can't imagine there is a Southampton fan in the world who welcomes this decision but the job of the Football League Board is to protect the integrity of the competition and that is what we have done.''

Yes, there was a different regime in place at the Football league at the time but it's still the same organisation. One regime showing a large degree of toughness, the other regime seemingly showing a large degree of leniency.

Some of my favourites:

But it's there. Fans like this. They say they don't. They say it's embarrassing. It's not; it's exciting. Because the plight of a club on the brink of liquidation allows fans to be brave. But crucially, to be brave without really doing anything.

Like packing the park for example! The fans like to bleat woe is me and trumpet poor plucky pompey, but in reality the actual support is woeful.

fans queuing for buses wore competing expressions of almost cartoon misery.

paints a beautiful picture!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/league-chairman-will-do-all-he-can-to-save-pompey-1-3606386#

A nice bit of spin from the football league, but look closely and you realise that the FL are not really saying anything.

The quote that gets me is "We don't always do it". If that's not admitting to special treatment I don't know what is.

The quote that gets me is "We don't always do it". If that's not admitting to special treatment I don't know what is.

They also say "We want them to survive but that’s out of our hands"

It's an article laced with mildly contradictory PR flannel IMO

Or....Greg Clarke can see the "Football League helped sink Pompey" bad PR flak that would come their way from certain quarters if/when Pompey go under, so he hastily goes on record in an article in the local press saying they will do all they can to help, which he can refer back to at the end of the season as a "Hey, look, at least we tried to help" stake in the ground.

Who knows.

Totally agree with you there trousers. Everyone and his dog are trying to be seen "helping them" but I see it as them covering their backs for when they run out of money and go pop.

I think the pompey trust/plan b team have been given the go ahead to set up a new team which is why they have signed a confidentially agreement. They have to act in the next few weeks to get a team set up for next season. The current Pompey team will be finished by end of may I think.

Probably all wrong but it's fun trying to second guess what will happen

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})