Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

My god, I don't think I had really realised how bad of a situation they are in, until I had read that.

So to summarise they currently have:

A stadium that is literally rotting and falling apart, and requires a minimum of £4m to keep it running.

No training facilities.

No academy.

A squad valued at probably below £10m

I really do not see what is in this for any investor. I doubt one that is looking to asset strip would want to touch them lot.

If this new bloke is serious then he will need to cover the costs of a new stadium, proper training facilities and invest in an academy, you're looking at £100m alone for that.

They do have an academy, although not sure what grading it received, probably a three. Unless they have ditched it in the last season.

That £10m squad value is a Storie figure, I would say it's half that in reality and that is being generous.

The club hierarchy keep saying they have no debt, if fact run a profit the last couple of years. Is it the case they have to save up to afford the repair costs as credit is hard to come by or they cannot/do not want to put FP up as an asset against any borrowing?

The very first question is about expanding the stadium :mcinnes:

And he keeps holding a stressball throughout the interview :lol: I wonder why

You'd have thought that he would be cock-a-hoop and chilled out after being made a director a couple of months ago...

__q5xP-COPxRMt4hqTV_VLcf-IQacRdiRUEznJ3dSLJOxX97ybMDjMyfuef7XEONAkM4DaGyWXni2M3jLxdFd12hqDWBrb_H-hM92hPoCrUGOUB7UFE8vAKvg30kfSrBCijykWutD5u-V4uubZB8qfSnjt2efk6sQUpeJd-nLKJz7BghZe3QR0J-K5Dc65_CCDNVvSw6380O1c4dNrP2rBM4KzhB4hIbnooxFOCnbZwj59hhCToGPglgCfp0kycza9hHDfxZZQeLJJmxMsOLg4ZllGeqbvf_rybYaADrHzovGTgGir3B9DdOWyyQfDsruuk2f28RP_qtGS6easaRO58TFUAEi5WDJjNqZkK3oOOjD23pXg6EOT2lkBbRlmcaigzDkzemUttsx7c9BFJMeKhK1cvAwRDXg7cMzNGJilPBpC1qHPmNrzNisJAj424XGA3EimoSYjKjWA5SLFCPuhr44446reitgqG2h6fbxnqajW3h7okOojh_drL4JoNjtT3BLXnCy4M0rwaunhfAiY-YRe6Kx93FNbelqgZE0_Fbegy4aq7azknCB5JjO5oUcbsUjwfZgAlHHRZvKPnNuwTtvYv6fy96LQYYDONwzYnEK-xCzA=w772-h782-no

Looks like Orient might be available too, so let's hope they've got Mr. Disney well and truly on the hook.

pains me to say it, but they (Pompey) are more of an attractive proposition than Orient. However, Orient is a great example of a rich owner not necessarily meaning success.

We got very lucky (well clearly we had the assets so I guess not that lucky), we got an owner (a very rich owner) who put a chairman in place, like him or not, who was very business savvy and got 'football people' in and around him - not sure the same will be said about them.

I'm sure I saw somewhere on twitter (I think it was factless Allen) that they believe under their current model the feel they can get into the championship, however it will cost around £20m (seems very high, but then again it came from Mr Allen) to sustain championship football.

The simple fact of the matter is:

Us & Bournemouth will always get the best kids in this area so will never (unlikely to) make millions on an academy product.

With their limited attendances, match day income will be next to nothing unless the massively overprice tickets, therefore loosing fan base (lets be honest, someone coming from USA/China isn't going to choose to go there are they with Brighton and us either side).

They are not as big and attractive as they think they are (granted they probably are for L2). Any player joining them, will be doing so for money and money alone.

Unless this bloke comes in and builds a new stadium (which will have to be miles out of the city, therefore probably affecting fan base), to increase revenue, they have absolutely no chance and will probably just end up back in administration... Again.

I'm feeling some fun times ahead.

With regards to Promotion to the Premiere League It's worth remembering the perfect storm that enabled them to get there the last time...

The year before they finished 17th..

They sacked the convicted paedo manager, and got in Redknapp towards the end of the season...

He got a couple of old mates to come and play just before ITV Digital went tits up along with the £304m of TV funds, leaving the majority of other clubs high and dry and dumping players to frantically get their wage bills down....

pains me to say it, but they (Pompey) are more of an attractive proposition than Orient. However, Orient is a great example of a rich owner not necessarily meaning success.

We got very lucky (well clearly we had the assets so I guess not that lucky), we got an owner (a very rich owner) who put a chairman in place, like him or not, who was very business savvy and got 'football people' in and around him - not sure the same will be said about them.

I'm sure I saw somewhere on twitter (I think it was factless Allen) that they believe under their current model the feel they can get into the championship, however it will cost around £20m (seems very high, but then again it came from Mr Allen) to sustain championship football.

The simple fact of the matter is:

Us & Bournemouth will always get the best kids in this area so will never (unlikely to) make millions on an academy product.

With their limited attendances, match day income will be next to nothing unless the massively overprice tickets, therefore loosing fan base (lets be honest, someone coming from USA/China isn't going to choose to go there are they with Brighton and us either side).

They are not as big and attractive as they think they are (granted they probably are for L2). Any player joining them, will be doing so for money and money alone.

Unless this bloke comes in and builds a new stadium (which will have to be miles out of the city, therefore probably affecting fan base), to increase revenue, they have absolutely no chance and will probably just end up back in administration... Again.

I'm feeling some fun times ahead.

Realistically they're a mid level championship club, they've been under achieving for a few years now.

If only they had listened when everyone ( well everyone on here ) was telling them to dump FP and start again elsewhere. But no, they had to cling on to that last remaining beacon of the good times as it was 'The Fortress' that was going to get them back up to the Prem. :mcinnes:

If only they had listened when everyone ( well everyone on here ) was telling them to dump FP and start again elsewhere. But no, they had to cling on to that last remaining beacon of the good times as it was 'The Fortress' that was going to get them back up to the Prem. :mcinnes:

To be fair, even if they'd wanted to dump Fratton Park and build elsewhere, I don't think that was ever a viable option. The cost would have been prohibitive, and there isn't exactly a long list of potential sites. Pretty much zero on Portsea Island itself, so anything would have to be outside the city, which I think they'd probably turn their noses up at, and understandably so.

Strikes me that something pretty serious has shown up. Foundation work !!!!

I'd say it's scaremongering to try and get the fans on board of this american bloke. We can't afford this, we need him he's our savior ect....

I would absolutely p!ss myself if the the majority reject the takeover :lol:

So, it turns out they made another loss in the last financial year (to June 2016). £492,000, despite turnover increasing by £1.25m overall (with a "significant" increase in gate receipts). Made a cracking £77,000 profit on player transfers, though.

Unfortunately they're not accepting new registrations on Pompey Online, if anyone still has their account on there, an update from Banker would be welcome indeed

My account's deleted, I unable to open a new one or view the forum (which is all I ever did).

Secrecy akin to that of North Korea and with similar propaganda.

Edited by Manuel

Despite putting in place rules that mean the club cannot be sold without 75% approval, the Trust's diminished shareholding means that 51% will now suffice, if they team up with the property developing members of the board.

That could mean 49% of fans finding themselves in disagreement with any decision.

It could be a funny old summer - and that's without Eisner looking at the fine detail...

So, it turns out they made another loss in the last financial year (to June 2016). £492,000, despite turnover increasing by £1.25m overall (with a "significant" increase in gate receipts). Made a cracking £77,000 profit on player transfers, though.

Thanks Steve, do you know the overall situation - are they in debt or have surplus (Tesco money)?

I must have been snagged by a Portsmyth thinking they were running at a profit... sorry guys!

Their wagebill is £5m. :o

(Burton Albion paid £3.6m to get into the Championship.)

Rather than fixing the stadium, pompey have clearly chosen to give the money to players, many of whom are earning twice the average for the division.

A neutral observer might suggest that they are repeating the mistakes of the past...

Realistically they're a mid level championship club, they've been under achieving for a few years now.

Not sure on what basis you arrive at that conclusion...? I'm in my sixties and they (without looking it up) seem to have spent more of my lifetime in the 3rd and 4th tiers which would seem to be their natural level. Second tier has been their 'over-achieving' period, the top level has only ever really been achieved by robbing everyone blind to get there?

To be fair, even if they'd wanted to dump Fratton Park and build elsewhere, I don't think that was ever a viable option. The cost would have been prohibitive, and there isn't exactly a long list of potential sites. Pretty much zero on Portsea Island itself, so anything would have to be outside the city, which I think they'd probably turn their noses up at, and understandably so.

Yesterday evening I went past Havant and Waterlooville's ground and the floodlights were on. Next door is the old Southern Electric site which they've recently flattened. Combine the two and an ideal site: they could rename themselves Havant, Portsmouth and Waterlooville (going by strict alphabetical protocol, of course)..

They should just extend the ground into Tesco.

"It's not fair, the ref was in aisle 3 and couldn't see our attacker get fouled in the cereal aisle", lamented Cook.

PST Gold - Lol. Although the fish food aisle would be more appropriate. Fish counter would have better visibility, except post-match when the blue few purchase some Saturday evening consolation after a dispiriting home defeat to Wycombe or Morecambe.

Excuse me?

Moneyfieldsclub.jpg

Moneyfieldstrain.jpg

The millions they got from the Landlocking/Robinson/Tesco deal should be enough to handle these on-going, multi-million pound essential repairs at fratton, or to simply flatten it and reloacte to Moneyfields, they even have two pitches, so they can groundshare with MFC:

Moneyfieldsgoround.jpg

Great times ahead once more.

I got a link on Facebook this morning to a video of the 6-0 win at Wolves which was 10 years ago today. One thing that struck me that day was how the Wolves fans really stuck with their team even when they were 5-0 and 6-0 down (to be fair the score did flatter us a lot). Both managers mentioned the home support in their post match interviews, but I haven't heard a load of Wolves fans telling everyone since then that they must be the bestest mostest passionatest fans in the world as a result of that support. Strange because making a lot of noise on one occasion when you're 5-0 down at home is apparently the only requirement for bestestness.

The most disturbing part of this whole sorry episode is the revelation that Sue is driving around Leigh Park late at night. :scared:

I didn't want to mention that I was on the way to football training coz Turkish gives me grief.. :-) Park Community school has a not bad 4G pitch they could train on. Wouldn't clash with our timetable in the evening, and they might even be able to afford it, although I'd suggest to the school that they get payment in advance.

Unfortunately they're not accepting new registrations on Pompey Online, if anyone still has their account on there, an update from Banker would be welcome indeed

Well you are going to have to try harder than your very own camdijk

A quick google weeded him out. Led me straight here ;)

You spend your time googling forum members' user names on the off chance that they might be scummers?

What all of 1 second to google - yeah lots of time wasted there then.

Members do not want you lot on there, their board I abide by their wishes. You only want to go on there so you can cut and paste stuff all over here anyway

Members do not want you lot on there, their board I abide by their wishes. You only want to go on there so you can cut and paste stuff all over here anyway

You are right, it's your/their board and you can do what you like. I also agree that a google search doesn't take long - however, I have a mental picture of you going through a full list of forum members and googling each in turn - which would be a bit odd. You said that camdijk was found with a quick google search. The implication being that you normally have to work much harder to find "us".

As I said, you can do what you like but the zeal with which you collectively brandish your pitchforks continually raises my eyebrows.

Well you are going to have to try harder than your very own camdijk

A quick google weeded him out. Led me straight here ;)

Skate in "its my ball and you`re not playing with it" shocker.... :lol:

But you are right we do want to look so someone can cut and paste the utterly deluded rambings on here...

your members are a bit brittle then,lol. I wonder if they know you have told us how precious they are. Your lot like to give the verbal stick when things are going well but cant take it back.Are you that easily wound up ???

Personally the bits ive read in the past on there, they in the main seemed to have a decent sense of humour.

Anyway double standards seem to be the thing down your way, come onto our board without obstacles but refuse it the other way around.

It's part of the inferiority complex. We don't mind them on here because, ultimately, we know we're better and probably always will be.

It's the whole "bestest" thing - it's just a manifestation of deep-seated insecurity.

They are the Jay from Inbetweeners of football.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})