Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I miss the days when the Portsmouth News did live webchats.

http://www2.portsmouth.co.uk/cp/pompey-webchats/events/08052013.html

This one from Micah Hall is a highlight

12:42

Comment From PFC Tom

Is it true you get all your information on PFC from SaintsWeb?

Micah Hall: Yes, they are boring aren't they!

:lol:

There are some great comments in there

I miss the days when the Portsmouth News did live webchats.

http://www2.portsmouth.co.uk/cp/pompey-webchats/events/08052013.html

This one from Micah Hall is a highlight

Comment From PFC Tom

Is it true you get all your information on PFC from SaintsWeb?

Micah Hall: Yes, they are boring aren't they!

:lol:

There are some great comments in there

Yes...got a few bites and loved the user names that got invented! Toaster brands got a good airing :-)

One of my customers in Portsmouth is a Wolves fan, and he summed it up brilliantly for me.

"The problem is, they think they're massive and they feel the need to tell everyone. They're in a league 2! You can't be a big club in league 2. They bang on about trophies like they're Real Madrid. You never hear Wolves fans go on like that. Most Pompey fans think they've actually won more than Wolves and therefore are a bigger club. It's fun correcting them."

Unless they spend wisely in the summer, League 1 might be a bit of a struggle for them next season.

I'm beginning to hope they go up, it'll make things much more interesting. Seeing them in League 2 is a bit boring now.

How can you say this. Seeing poopey in League 2 is not boring, the only thing better would be seeing them in the National League.....

While I would prefer them to drop out of the league altogether, it would be funny to see if they can keep up the "big club" nonsense in League 1 where there are a good few other clubs who won trophies a couple of generations back and are capable of drawing a crowd.

So all Pompey season ticket holders are getting a call this week to guilt them into signing up for the "Pompey lottery". £2 per week. There's a chance to meet players, win signed merchandise, win hospitality with the chairman and much more.

Not a new thing I suppose. Most clubs including Saints for many years have been running something similar raising money for charities and local communities. So what lovely charity are the proceeds going to?

That's right. Pompey. All proceeds go to PFC with a commitment that a percentage (unspecified) goes to the academy.

Basically cap in hand once again.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/mustryharder-sponsor-pompey-academy-teams-3623693.aspx

MUSTRYHARDER SPONSOR ACADEMY TEAMS

Online fashion retailer supporting young Blues

It is always a bonus when a local business sees the importance of supporting the academy"

Mark Kelly

Newly-launched clothing company Mustryharder is the new sponsor of the Pompey’s junior Academy teams.

The jokes write themselves these days :lol: :lol:

So basically he's buying generic tops and getting a logo printed on them..... well I suppose I should congratulate whoever came up with that one. I'm sure it will rock the clothing world and Next are holding emergency meetings to work out how to deal with the new kid on the block.

In other news I got stuck on the docks at pregate the other day with a skate. I could tell since it was printed all over his hi viz. banter ensued of course, all the standard ones were trotted out - trophies, 4-1 etc. Until I asked which team he supported and pointed out the current team representing that end of the m27 has only been going since 2008 ( or whenever it was) he seemed to get the hump at that. And then he got his paperwork first which, apparently, equated to a 1-0 win to the skates..... the lengths they go to are truly amazing to behold.

Seven items for sale.

Perhaps mustryharder must try a little harder...

Mustryharder’s products are made in countries in Asia (China and Bangladesh) and Europe (Portugal and Turkey). We only use seven factories; this allows our quality control standards to be consistently upheld and respected.

7 factories for 7 products.. Maybe they need to streamline the business operations a bit better.

And there is me thinking they just use some iron-on stencils :mcinnes:

For the fashion conscious and cutting-edge amongst you, I present MustTryHarder's Gents 2017 collection:

https://mustryharder.com/gents/

"We want our T-shirt's and sweatshirt's to be the clothing you choose to wear while you plan and achieve your dreams."

Top punctuation there.

A company and its website always look really professional when the punctuation would shame a seven-year-old.

Also, the spelling of the company's name is surely wrong.

Should it not be must try harder. with two Ts.

Otherwise, it becomes must ry harder, or mus try harder.

The company and the club deserve each other.

Who ever heard of Mustryharder? If they wished to be sponsored by a clothing company which was well known, then Fat Face is based at Havant. But then I doubt whether Fat Face would wish to be associated with such conspicuous failure as the skates.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-boss-let-s-raise-the-fratton-roof-1-7864625

Tonight they entertain Grimsby (7.45pm) – with belief and promotion aspirations rejuvenated. And Cook has called for a special Fratton Park atmosphere to maintain their encouraging progress. He said: ‘We have got to get the shackles off, Fratton Park is our home, there are six home games left. ‘If I was back in Liverpool and managing Chesterfield, I would be looking at Portsmouth’s run-in thinking “they’re home, they’ve got Fortress Fratton”. ‘That is why I appeal to the fans that if it’s not going our way, or 0-0, just stay with us, please stay with us. It’s so important these lads get that backing now, they deserve it. ‘We have come a long way together, let’s just stay with it now. ‘Let’s make it the atmosphere against Blackpool, the atmosphere against Morecambe, and have another tonight against Grimsby.

Cook appealing to the bestest to not boo them tonight. Lol.

If they have to go up, 3rd would be alright. No title win and all a bit underwhelming. Certainly better then them winning at Wembley. There's some big clubs in League 1, they'll be absolute nobodies.

One of my customers in Portsmouth is a Wolves fan, and he summed it up brilliantly for me.

"The problem is, they think they're massive and they feel the need to tell everyone. They're in a league 2! You can't be a big club in league 2. They bang on about trophies like they're Real Madrid. You never hear Wolves fans go on like that. Most Pompey fans think they've actually won more than Wolves and therefore are a bigger club. It's fun correcting them."

We're all fairly well-versed in the fact that bottom half of the Championship is their natural level, just look at the attendance figures - they can't get more than 20,000 even if they want to at the moment and that puts them squarely as a small second tier side. They wouldn't even be the biggest club in League One next season.

On my way back from Crewe on Saturday (two wins in three days for the 'Port, only 7 points adrift now!) we had the misfortune to arrive at Waterloo at the same time as some Skates and some post-Twickers rugby herberts. Fortunately there was an 8pm train via Havant as well as the 20:07 through Hedge End I was getting so there was every chance the "indirect" route would be low on Skates.

Unfortunately there was an incident on the line at Wimbledon and every train ended up stuck at Waterloo for the next two hours, during which time as it was now the ONLY train going to Portsmouth which hadn't left the station before the incident, the beered up Skate quotient went up... and up... and up... at one point three girls who looked barely old enough to drink staggered on, started singing something about being "on their way" and parked themselves in the next carriage, loudly. Some Skate commandeered the PA at one point to regale us with his wit, "Urrrrrrr Play Up Pompey hurrrrrrrrr", and every time there was an announcement or when the train actually started moving there was a loud boozy cheer, which descended into a low-rent version of Saints' Gabbiadini song (which btw I hate) but for some bloke called Powter or something like that. At one point the drunk girls accidentally started singing a song about their American biscuit sandwiches to the tune of "Oriol, Oriol Romeu" and then had to apologise to their friends because they were clearly enjoying being vaguely associated with a good Premier League player too much.

Aaanyway, two hours on a train, stuck in Waterloo, we finally got to Eastleigh and there was an announcement that we needed to get off the first 6 carriages (God knows why, Hedge End hosts 10-carriage trains all the time), so we started walking through the train. When we got to the 6th carriage, there were Skate shirts (and the odd rugby shirt) everywhere, and smell of BO and stale booze was absolutely overpowering. With us unable to go further up the train, we queued next to the one door that would open, the queue stretching all the way through the carriage. The woman in front of us commented on the stench (cue fish jokes), and then a friend of hers somewhere behind us LITERALLY THREW UP ON A TABLE because she couldn't handle the overpowering reek of body odour.

So, that was a lovely end to my 15 hour round trip to Crewe... we left Crewe at 17:29, home just before midnight. FFS.

Meanwhile, at the top, everyone keeps ballsing up. Carlisle 0-0 Luton last night was an awful result for both of them, and Stevenage of course hit the wall after their run of wins. Plymouth can't buy a win, and Doncaster had to come from behind to beat Notts bloody County. All the teams just outside the playoffs won, most of them in the playoffs didn't. The Skates' ability to win slightly above half their matches at the moment is putting them fairly comfortably into 3rd. Let's face it, if they DO go up, coming third is miles better than them getting to Wembley...

So all Pompey season ticket holders are getting a call this week to guilt them into signing up for the "Pompey lottery". £2 per week. There's a chance to meet players, win signed merchandise, win hospitality with the chairman and much more.

Not a new thing I suppose. Most clubs including Saints for many years have been running something similar raising money for charities and local communities. So what lovely charity are the proceeds going to?

That's right. Pompey. All proceeds go to PFC with a commitment that a percentage (unspecified) goes to the academy.

Basically cap in hand once again.

Pretty much all lower league clubs have club lotteries to raise funds to benefit the club, can't see anything worth having a go at here tbh. I've never had a problem with teams trying to fundraise, it's the clubs who "fundraise" by buying a load of players they can't possibly afford and then writing off the massive debt they've deliberately built up in order at the expense of the taxpayer and the public purse that I find particularly obnoxious.

Edited by The9

Oh, one other thing, I went into Sports Direct in Whiteley yesterday. It's the time of year when they flog off all their remaining stock. As Sports Direct own Sondico who make the Portsmouth kit, the football display was probably 90% "can't sell" Portsmouth shirts (reduced to £12), training tops, tracksuit trousers, and nearly 100% of the merchandise (scarves, teddy bears, etc) was PCommunityFC. The only non-Skate stuff was a rail of about 5 Saints shirts at £30, which is the price they were on at after a couple of weeks - they didn't have any Saints home shorts, home socks, or away kits left from the swathes that were in there at the start of the season - and nothing from any of the big clubs either.

Still, at least they're not selling things at £12 now, rather than the £4 of a couple of years ago.

Even Newport County could afford to give away 50 shirts to their travelling maniacs who went to Morecambe last night - maybe the Skates could do something similar? They've clearly still got the stock.

Don't Pompey have their own Oxlade-Chamberlain in their ranks they should be crowing about? Surely he should be in line for an England call up soon, especially as he plays at a massive club and the FA are biased towards big clubs?

But the song - actually called I’m On My Way - originates not from a football ground but from the hit Western musical Paint Your Wagon.

well knock me down with a feather , a football song is not an original, with lyrics and score written by a fan, but actually copied from another famous tune.

Things you learn eh ! :mcinnes:

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})