Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Oh Noooooooooooooesssssss.

1898 pages charting the demise and eventual extinction of a Football Club and we MAY have been looking in the wrong direction...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2550203/Chaos-contempt-Leeds-United-one-English-footballs-famous-clubs-falls-hands-Italian-fraudster.html

Could Leeds Utd beat them out of the League?

Their last chance owner makes some of the phews recent owners seem Angelic..

C'mon Skates you're even gonna screw up being the first League Winners to vanish

Oh Noooooooooooooesssssss.

1898 pages charting the demise and eventual extinction of a Football Club and we MAY have been looking in the wrong direction...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2550203/Chaos-contempt-Leeds-United-one-English-footballs-famous-clubs-falls-hands-Italian-fraudster.html

Could Leeds Utd beat them out of the League?

Their last chance owner makes some of the phews recent owners seem Angelic..

C'mon Skates you're even gonna screw up being the first League Winners to vanish

Well, lets see... Leeds are mid-table in the Championship and are visibly not the basket case that #p!sspoorportsmouth represent as an investment 'opportunity' :lol:.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26006243

Massimo Cellino certainly appears to be no angel, and his competence may be questionable in the light of his public vacillation over McDermot, but can we say he's worse than the parade of misfits and nutters that have 'run' #lowlyportsmouth in recent times? I still think we haven't heard the half of it from the pantomime down there and I look forward with interest to the next instalment of leaks from their 'boardroom' :mcinnes:

But it would indeed be a tragic loss for #potlessportsmouth if they lost out in the race for extinction :nod:

I think there must be something wrong with the sound on my PC as I could barely hear a whimper from the bestest at the cauldron of noise :?

Well done to ex-Saint Michael Poke though, for keeping a clean sheet for Torquay.

But the bestest whimper in the whole wide world.

And to think in September articles like this were being published

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24046043

Oh well.

"Hall says it is now more important than ever for the club to focus on the future.

"For a football club to grow sustainably takes decades of painstaking work, growing and retaining fan-base, managing costs and building long-term stability on the football side.

So what, Micah, have you been up to since then?

No, don't say anything - actions speak louder than words :blush:

Leeds United struggling to make ends meet on Championship income?

A big club with a proper history and a massive fanbase unable to compete...

That doesn't bode well for a small club two divisions lower with ancient history and a modest following.

I'm not sure this whole fan gig is going to work....

In fact I'm seriously starting to wonder whether the figures actually stack up.

To progress they will need someone to come in with £20M+ who only wants 2% of the business, so the property developers and fans can all retain their power.

I think they have got themselves in finance terms, into a little bit of a pickle.

Leeds United struggling to make ends meet on Championship income?

A big club with a proper history and a massive fanbase unable to compete...

That doesn't bode well for a small club two divisions lower with ancient history and a modest following.

I'm not sure this whole fan gig is going to work....

In fact I'm seriously starting to wonder whether the figures actually stack up.

To progress they will need someone to come in with £20M+ who only wants 2% of the business, so the property developers and fans can all retain their power.

I think they have got themselves in finance terms, into a little bit of a pickle.

Surely it will be a trivial matter for the sleepiest giant to attract investment on that scale due to their stellar league performance?

Oh...

So let me get this right, you want £20M, but you refuse to release 52% of the 'shares' for reasons of ego - and the people who are bankrolling the other 48% aren't allowed to sell by the restrictions imposed by the Trust manifesto?

That means you have created a business model that prevents outside investment of any consequence, unless you do a full U-turn and abandon any claims to be fan-owned...

As you have ringfenced the business and restricted new funding, other than from a handful of property developers, or donations from children of white supremacists......I'm out.

So let me get this right, you want £20M, but you refuse to release 52% of the 'shares' for reasons of ego - and the people who are bankrolling the other 48% aren't allowed to sell by the restrictions imposed by the Trust manifesto?

That means you have created a business model that prevents outside investment of any consequence, unless you do a full U-turn and abandon any claims to be fan-owned...

As you have ringfenced the business and restricted new funding, other than from a handful of property developers, or donations from children of white supremacists......I'm out.

But I am really interested in buying some of the local businesses in order to get a share of the £300m generated every home game......

But I am really interested in buying some of the local businesses in order to get a share of the £300m generated every home game......

For the sake of accuracy and fairness, the £300mil was quoted as being for the season ie. a mere £13.04mil per match !

This equates to approximately £1000 per person attending, on top of the £12 ticket price of course !

Pompey maths, eh ??

:mcinnes:

fridayfeelin

11:30 AM on 03/02/2014

Iam pleased that most of he supporters at the game haven't tarnished all the players with the same brush eg Taylor who didn't stop running and held the ball up well. Its is the lack of passion that has got to me, these teams come to play at fratton Park and its their cup final day, these teams only used to 3 and 4 thousand supporters at the most and they get a buzz out of the whole occasion, our players are used to it but cant seem to raise their game. RB should change things around if players are lacking bring the youngsters in pup

And they wonder why they have little sympathy?

Bless me Saints Web for I have sinned.

On Saturday I went to Krap Nottarf to see my home town team demolish the mighty Blue Hoard.

Everything about the place is tinpot; The infrastructure, the faded seats, the poor condition of the pitch,the quiet crowd who were outsung by 741 travelling Torquay fans.

The first half was dominated by Torquay (2nd from bottom in L2) and whilst Pompey did press in the 2nd half it was an endearingly league 2 huff and puff effort. The latest motley crew of lower league journeymen they've recruited should see them struggle for another year or two - if they last that long.

Bless me Saints Web for I have sinned.

On Saturday I went to Krap Nottarf to see my home town team demolish the mighty Blue Hoard.

Everything about the place is tinpot; The infrastructure, the faded seats, the poor condition of the pitch,the quiet crowd who were outsung by 741 travelling Torquay fans.

The first half was dominated by Torquay (2nd from bottom in L2) and whilst Pompey did press in the 2nd half it was an endearingly league 2 huff and puff effort. The latest motley crew of lower league journeymen they've recruited should see them struggle for another year or two - if they last that long.

You are forgiven my son, everyone must do missionary work once in a while

fridayfeelin

Iam pleased that most of he supporters at the game haven't tarnished all the players with the same brush eg Taylor who didn't stop running and held the ball up well. Its is the lack of passion that has got to me, these teams come to play at fratton Park and its their cup final day, these teams only used to 3 and 4 thousand supporters at the most and they get a buzz out of the whole occasion, our players are used to it but cant seem to raise their game. RB should change things around if players are lacking bring the youngsters in pup

is RB Rally Boy or Ritchie Barker?

fridayfeelin

Well quite: you only have to image the delight with which visiting supporters enter the crumbling fatpipes edifice to be offered, at not-inconsiderable prices, by attractive, engaging fatsalesfolk, enticing fatdrinks and fatpies - **which can, apparently, be delivered by smiling fatcourierfolk to their very own fatseats**.

And all this with not an iota of concern regarding the tatty timber tabernacle wherein they enjoy their cup finals, which definitely has all its public safety certifications up to date, yes sirree, which doesn't wobble in the slightest breeze, no not at all, and can certainly be used to its full capacity because its being properly maintained, with no risk of fire in the least, oh yes.

Whats not to like?

fridayfeelin

these teams come to play at fratton Park and its their cup final day, these teams only used to 3 and 4 thousand supporters at the most and they get a buzz out of the whole occasion, our players are used to it but cant seem to raise their game. RB should change things around if players are lacking bring the youngsters in pup

Well the answer is staring them in the face, stop going to the Sh**hole, the visiting teams will treat it as any other game and not their cup final and Bakers dozen-1 will have one less excuse. Perhaps the phew could arrange a rota to ensure no more than 3k home fans attend.

Well the infighting has started in earnest over on fans online. Barker isn't up the job and the blame lies with the people who hired him, according to some.

I don't think they will get relegated, but I'm not sure that matters in the grand scheme of things. It's the painfully slow realisation that they aren't going to walk the league, back to back promotions aren't a formality and the best team they can afford, isn't actually very good even in league two..... oh and the fact they are still running at a loss.

Season tickets will be down next year and the walk ups will stop walking.

My prediction is that within Two years and the club will be for sale again, but interestingly if they do actually pay off the football debts, then there might be something to salvage.

fridayfeelin

these teams come to play at fratton Park and its their cup final day, these teams only used to 3 and 4 thousand supporters at the most and they get a buzz out of the whole occasion, our players are used to it but cant seem to raise their game. RB should change things around if players are lacking bring the youngsters in pup

Well the answer is staring them in the face, stop going to the Sh**hole, the visiting teams will treat it as any other game and not their cup final and Bakers dozen-1 will have one less excuse. Perhaps the phew could arrange a rota to ensure no more than 3k home fans attend.

No rota needed. Will take care of itself soon enough. :lol:

Well the infighting has started in earnest over on fans online. Barker isn't up the job and the blame lies with the people who hired him, according to some.

I don't think they will get relegated, but I'm not sure that matters in the grand scheme of things. It's the painfully slow realisation that they aren't going to walk the league, back to back promotions aren't a formality and the best team they can afford, isn't actually very good even in league two..... oh and the fact they are still running at a loss.

Season tickets will be down next year and the walk ups will stop walking.

My prediction is that within Two years and the club will be for sale again, but interestingly if they do actually pay off the football debts, then there might be something to salvage.

'something to salvage'? Really? The signs aren't good: they've (allegedly) broken their wages budget several times recently and (allegedly) mortgaged the remaining parachute payments because they're determined to make their promotion-or-bust strategy pay off. I think we can safely assume they're a spent force :D

Apparently when pompey are losing that is when their fans are best! (see above)

So if they were the best fans in the world before just imagine they must be super fans at this moment in time :D

The man speaks some sense intermingled with utter insanity, it's a strange combination.

Edited by farawaysaint

The man speaks some sense inermingled with utter insanity, it's a strange combination.

He is suffering from a condition known as 'Skateism', it's not particularly widespread, in fact there are only about 14,000 sufferers these days whereas 6 years ago almost 250,000 were spotted on Southsea Common alone :)

An informative article at http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/keeping-conference-club-going

The chairman of Skrill club Hereford discusses the financial difficulties caused by relegation from L2 in detail. Immediate drop in revenue from FL sources of £720,000 annually. One season of PPs worth £215,000. Falls in gate revenue greater than expected.

Oh dear, #lowlyportsmouth. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear :lol:

The wife of one of the directors responding to her husband being abused by fans while shopping in Sainsbury's....

https://twitter.com/oldpeoplerock/status/430072909831221248

@BarneyBrazil Thanks Gav, thats the trouble though..they can't be real #pompey fans as seem to thrive on negativity & want us to fail.

So, they can't be real fans unless they share the same opinions as the board of directors? Anyone with any differing opinions is obviously not a fan?

Is this a case of 'make friends and influence people' or 'divide and conquer'?

in between dealing with alleged sex offenders the council has opened the door for Tesco to do their thing by lifting restrictions.

While the club is excited at the prospect of a 'significant cash injection' towards ground redevelopment, I suspect the real outcome will just be a car park.

Plus landlocking by a supermarket, and a massive profit for big-hearted Robinson.

An informative article at http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/keeping-conference-club-going

The chairman of Skrill club Hereford discusses the financial difficulties caused by relegation from L2 in detail. Immediate drop in revenue from FL sources of £720,000 annually. One season of PPs worth £215,000. Falls in gate revenue greater than expected.

This section about not paying the taxman will 'chime' with portsmouth .......

"When juggling all the balls, we made a decision to pay the wages as far as we could each month before the tax man but the loss of the Kidderminster Harriers match on New Year’s Day with a budgeted gate of 2,500 and takings to be banked of £20,000, has left us short of completing the December payroll by £17,000.

"The current position is that all the players have been paid every month this season, the management and footballing staff are owed £6,000, office/supporters club staff are owed £7,000 and the youth section are owed £4,000.

"The outstanding HMRC debt has risen to £60,000 at the end of December whilst the immediate priority is the winding up order for £36,500 which relates to October/November PAYE.

Hang on this cant be right.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/barker-we-re-back-in-trouble-1-5851274

A crowd of nearly 15,000 turned out in force again but despite their best efforts to raise the team – particularly in a late push to snatch an equaliser – boos were heard at the final whistle at what many felt was an unacceptable performance.

The last few lines detailing the short medium and long term objectives just don't make any sense...... But given their stated objective of setting up an academy that will feed the first team, it makes perfect sense to then scrap the development team :?

THE path has been cleared for a development to take place which could see Fratton Park turned into a 21st century stadium.

Three key stumbling blocks to a proposal to see a Tesco superstore built on land next to the stadium have been removed by Portsmouth City Council.

The football club says the deal will release funds which will mean investment can be made to redevelop the stadium.

But, as reported previously in The News, residents and other retailers say having a Tesco there will harm the livelihood of shops in the Fratton and Milton areas, and cause increased congestion.

Yesterday, Portsmouth City Councils cabinet members voted to sell a parcel of land off Anson Road to Point Estates LLP, which is owned by developer Stuart Robinson.

Point Estates leases the land, and will become the freeholder for an undisclosed sum.

The lease on a second parcel of land off Anson Road, currently leased by Point Estates, will be transferred to Portsmouth Community Football Club Ltd and, subject to planning permission being granted will be turned into a 250-space car park.

Thirdly, the councils cabinet, chaired by council leader Gerald Vernon-Jackson, voted to remove a restriction banning shops from being built on the land.

Crucially, this lifts one of the largest obstacles to the Tesco development taking place.

Colin Farmery, spokesman for Portsmouth Football Club, said: This is clearly good news.

We recognise there is still a significant way to go before these plans are approved, but the fact that this restriction has been lifted makes the path a lot clearer to get there, and as a result the football club will benefit from a significant cash investment.

This deal will ensure that the club has a far greater chance of redeveloping Fratton Park in the long term aii which is the ultimate goal of the club.

This wonat be a straightforward process, and thereas going to have to be some major investment, but if this deal goes through the football club will be in as good a position as its ever been to make something happen to create a football ground we can all be proud of.

A spokesman for Tesco said a planning proposal will be submitted soon.

http://tinyurl.com/oyq3bxb

Thirdly, the councils cabinet, chaired by council leader Gerald Vernon-Jackson, voted to remove a restriction banning shops from being built on the land.

Crucially, this lifts one of the largest obstacles to the Tesco development taking place.

So the restrictive covenant on the Fratton Park land has been removed? :uhoh:

This deal will ensure that the club has a far greater chance of redeveloping Fratton Park in the long term which is the ultimate goal of the club.

Yes Colin - and it also ensures that there is a far greater chance of Fratton being bought from the administrators when you next go bust and being completely bulldozed to make way for an extended Tesco and an Ikea.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})