Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Fortress! :lol:

I love the tabloid use of language down there, it's about simplifying messages to the easily-led and trying to big up life in the bottom tier of league football.

All the players have to be battling troops, anything over three quarters full is a sell out, any comment on the template from a new player is a pledge, all defeats are brave, a few quid has to be a promotion warchest, a donation is in fact a share, a percentage over 25% equals fan-owned, any request for anything is a rallying cry and anyone who has ever attended a game is the faithful.

The club has now established a link with both Milan (the glorious draw) and Barcelona (the glorious home defeat by Bournemouth reserves), and if you put all of those pieces together you get an exciting piece on how great life is in Division Four.

Template no.12 - new signing, forward.

Premier League Ace Up For The Fight!

New striker and lower league journeyman ----, fresh from watching a Premier League match on television, has issued a rallying cry to Paul Cook's battling troops and pledged to fire the goals that will lift pompey to the next level.

The prolific hitman has also rather predictably praised the fans and asked them to back the team with a cauldron of noise.

And with a sell-out crowd the home heroes will be looking for the Fratton faithful to create a siege mentality at the fortress this Saturday when ---- are the opponents.

Boosted by recent back-to-back home defeats, the Blues will look to go one better against ---- who are plucky little minnows who should just give up the points because it's their cup final etc....blah, blah, battling, hunger, freedom to play, belief, desire, yawn...

Simple messages spoon-fed to the simple.

"We are the richest club in the football league by virtue of no debts"

whatever the discussion they have to come out top of everyone , I honestly don't recall a single conversation where we haesqid we are best in the league at anything. Humility isn't a strong point with them is it.

It's still a truism that they have no respect whatsoever for the position they are in , and by extension all the teams around them.

We didn't our first season in the championship but after that I think we had total respect for our compatriots and realised we were there due to our own issues. We were merely thankful to have a team to support.

Week in, week out they slag off the opposition and consider themselves above it all.

They can rot there forever

Didn't make the top 5 for the official FA Goals of the 4th Round either,

:lol:

And I'm struggling to find it on the BT sport website either, despite the fact there are loads of highlight videos on that site.

Edited by Hatch

Wycombe won their game so the skates are now out of the Playoffs, at least for the time being :smug:

And since Oxford drew, the skates are now 7 points South of the last automatic promotion spot.

Oh dear what a pity never mind :mcinnes:

They're closer to the bottom half of the table than they are to automatic promotion.

[emoji38]

With tonight's results, they are down to 8th. Accrington in 9th have equal points and 2 games in hand.

EDIT:I see I was a bit slow on the uptake with this post. Some things are worth repeating though.

Edited by Golactico

I tell you what, if that happens the home fixture at the silverlake will be like the end of days.

They will pull this out of the bag though.... Won't they? Guys?...... Guys?

Of course they'll go up.... via a glorious victory in the playoff final at Wembley, their second home, to be ingrained in their folklore forever more.

Although, to be fair, it would be the biggest achievement of their 4 year existence.

Imagine if they had never changed their name from Swaythling - the humiliation of being the same divsion as a Scummer suburb. .

Gosport are in with a chance of going up from the National League South, In a few years Portsmouth might not even be the biggest club in Portsmouth.

I was slightly amused earlier reading through the Twitter timeline of a certain 'Pompey Saviour' during the administration years. His tweets these days are mainly bashing the Government, HMRC, large corporations and rich individuals for tax fraud and evasion and how they shaft 'Joe Public'....

Well, the irony overload amused me anyway :)

Edited by trousers

They're dressing this up as a public consultation on the future of the fortress:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-fans-to-be-given-say-in-fratton-future-1-7206028

"We took over a stadium in a pretty poor state, and although it is as good as it has been for many years, fundamentals still require sorting out in the next two to three years. For instance, the Milton end is pretty much shot to bits now and is a big problem for the club."

It may be a cess pit, but it's definitely the bestest most bottomless money pit. "Public consultation" evidently means that the gulible few will fleeced yet again to stop Fortress Fratton from blowing away in the next stiff breeze.

WTFILN?

No that sounds like a good idea, after all it can't be easy for them with the current stadium. It definitely needs a refit - door handles designed for people with 6 fingers, special 'family ticket' seats so your mother, brother, uncle, cousin and niece doesn't have to try and spread himself over 4 seats, fat disposal chutes etc......

Meanwhile, over on POL, one of them has decided to tell the truth.

I went into central Portsmouth last week, Commercial Road, and frankly its a sh*thole nowadays. Homeless people in doorways, lots of bedding etc. What main shops there are are pale imitations of other stores in the likes of Southampton. Other than that, cheap shops or ones which are closed. Apparently, from friends who live there, North End is pretty much the same, with concentration being on Gunwharf and Southsea.

Being in Fareham, for main shopping I veer towards Southampton now. Only a pound more on the train return, and a hugely better experience. I know that might be sacrilege for some, but that's what it is. I moved out of Portsmouth originally for two reasons 1) to be closer to work but 2) its horrible to live there, so claustrophic, was getting more and more run down and try getting a parking space! Its sad to see how its regressed, as I see it anyway.

Meanwhile, over on POL, one of them has decided to tell the truth.

I went into central Portsmouth last week, Commercial Road, and frankly its a sh*thole nowadays. Homeless people in doorways, lots of bedding etc. What main shops there are are pale imitations of other stores in the likes of Southampton. Other than that, cheap shops or ones which are closed. Apparently, from friends who live there, North End is pretty much the same, with concentration being on Gunwharf and Southsea.

Being in Fareham, for main shopping I veer towards Southampton now. Only a pound more on the train return, and a hugely better experience. I know that might be sacrilege for some, but that's what it is. I moved out of Portsmouth originally for two reasons 1) to be closer to work but 2) its horrible to live there, so claustrophic, was getting more and more run down and try getting a parking space! Its sad to see how its regressed, as I see it anyway.

They didn't mention the cheerful rosy cheeked urchins

I'm not surprised they don't mention the rosy cheeked urchins- they just came in the bottom quarter for GCSE results.

Not only that Portsmouth ranked amongst the lowest in the region for takeaway cleanliness.

I had a job delivering milk there in the early noughties - it was a sh*thole then. The place has only gone backwards.

They're dressing this up as a public consultation on the future of the fortress:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-fans-to-be-given-say-in-fratton-future-1-7206028

"We took over a stadium in a pretty poor state, and although it is as good as it has been for many years, fundamentals still require sorting out in the next two to three years. For instance, the Milton end is pretty much shot to bits now and is a big problem for the club."

It may be a cess pit, but it's definitely the bestest most bottomless money pit. "Public consultation" evidently means that the gulible few will fleeced yet again to stop Fortress Fratton from blowing away in the next stiff breeze.

WTFILN?

Portsmouth till i dieOption 1 Do nothing

Option 2 Rebuild each stand one by one

Option 3 Shift Ground Northwoods so increasing capacity of Milton & South Stands

Option 4 Demolish the stadium swivel it round and during the build rent Twickenham

Option 5 ........................................................?

as you will read moving out of city is not an option permantly

Read more: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-fans-to-be-given-say-in-fratton-future-1-7206028#ixzz3zo6LnpJi

WTFILN?

There are some cracking suggestions in the comments on that link too, from:

"Could we not test out residents behind the Milton end regarding compensation of say £20k each for loss of light should they agree to a rebuilt Milton end at a greater height?"

to

"A state of the art modern stadium fit for a premier league club BETTER than Saint Mary's. Yea it might cost £50m but with retail, ships restaurant get it funded by government funding similar to the likes of man city.*

They seem to be a club swimming and cash just looking for a way to spend it.

This fella seems to talk more sense though:

"Im not sure we need to worry about capacity at this stage. Lets be honest, its not a sell out every week. If we increased to 30k capacity and still got 16k, it would look rather empty. Are our supporters so fickle that they won't come unless we were in the Premiership? I remember the days in the 90's when we had terracing and could fit in 24k yet rarely was it sell out."

Interesting to see Peterborough tonight fielding some really good young players, even if penalties isn't their strong point.

They have no money and small crowds but their youth development is producing talent, and the benefits of selling them on keeps the business ticking over.

pompey could learn something from a bigger club like Peterborough.

Which reminds me, has the 48% fan-owned business model ever worked, anywhere?

By 48% fan owned I presume you mean the few rich individuals who own shares in the trust and also claim to be fans?

The rest were just donors I believe

Also: it's interesting to watch the few cautious voices of realism creeping in just lately. I wonder how long it will be before the deludedest turn on them?

Also laughed quite hard at the 'build a state of the art modern stadium with shops and everything because we can get the government to pay for that'

Anything to get one up on us. (Which is what put them in this mess to begin with tbh)

Just a tin pot club in a city going downhill they would be better off looking at what Eastleigh are planning - that would be more realistic for them going forward

Also laughed quite hard at the 'build a state of the art modern stadium with shops and everything because we can get the government to pay for that'

I guess if you can get away with fleecing the government and tax payer for tens of millions of pounds twice in short succession, there's no reason to believe that they can't do it again for a third time.

Edited by trousers

£13m a game! :o

That's how much they claimed they contributed to the local economy to justify a council loan, and Penny stood up and confirmed this.

£13million a game...the local creditors should now be paying the club!

but even more scary the bloody judge fell for it!!! Conspiracy i say

Did the dinlo have his tongue in his cheek when suggesting Twickenham :lol: Is this for when they go charging up the leagues to the Prem or is it to house the 70,000 they're already getting in the 4th Division? :lol:

'kinell, they could barely find 18,000 home fans when they were last in the big time, how many are going to travel 70 miles up the motorway every other week? They'd be able to house them all in the players dugout!

"Could we not test out residents behind the Milton end regarding compensation of say £20k each for loss of light should they agree to a rebuilt Milton end at a greater height?"

Just imagine how this so called community club would be seen by the local community if they started putting pressure on local residents to give up their light. Allowing Tesco in has ****ed off local traders, now for the residents...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})