Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

From POL, on Harry Redknapp...

The unseemly manner of his exits will mean he will never get the adulation a manager who brought us the FA Cup would normally bring and probably expect. Neither will that victorious team- with the odd exception like James and Hreidarsson- be warmly remembered. These weren't players who had been assembled over a few seasons like Ipswich in '78 or Wimbledon in '88. These were transient players on huge (borrowed) money who cleared off when the financial landscape became clear. Ergo Redknapp is like the team he bought- successful but unloved.

His period here was exciting and I shall always remember him for that. Thrashing Leeds 6-1 was always the game I most treasure: the sheer swashbuckling rampant rout of a great club and once powerful side. His era was an incredible interlude in 60 years of otherwise unrelenting dross in which the number of decent players to grace this club could be counted on one hand. I remember that evening in the summer of 2003 and was watching a Bond film, I switched over to get what was the old Ceefax football headline to find: PORTSMOUTH SIGN BERGER. The novelty of class players, even ageing ones playing for us!

I look at it all now and those who've taken our place: Watford, AFC Bournemouth, Swansea, Crystal Palace, Soton, Brighton. Our club with big, passionate support and a huge catchment area plus some great history...replaced by what looks like Division 3 South.

We will never see his like again and possibly we will never see the Premiership again.

"I look at it all now and those who've taken our place: Watford, AFC Bournemouth, Swansea, Crystal Palace, Soton, Brighton. Our club with big, passionate support and a huge catchment area plus some great history...replaced by what looks like Division 3 South."

See, there the deluded f*ckwits go again. The only time they got reasonable crowds were when they had a brief successful period in the black and white days, but even then, their crowds were dwarfed by the big boys. Both times since when they managed/cheated to get themselves promoted up to the top flight they couldn't regularly fill their little ground. Out of that list, I'd only put them just about above Bournemouth and.....well I'm struggling.....on a par with maybe Watford and Swansea. Bigger mouths though, tbf.

"I look at it all now and those who've taken our place: Watford, AFC Bournemouth, Swansea, Crystal Palace, Soton, Brighton. Our club with big, passionate support and a huge catchment area plus some great history...replaced by what looks like Division 3 South."

8330c5a49827319de97c811f364a4506.gif

Not sure why anyone would give the remotest toss about the method of lighting.

Not sure why anyone could give the remotest toss about any of their amazing firsts. It brings football down to the level of trainspotting, when it should be about getting ****ed and shouting a lot.

See, there the deluded f*ckwits go again. The only time they got reasonable crowds were when they had a brief successful period in the black and white days, but even then, their crowds were dwarfed by the big boys. Both times since when they managed/cheated to get themselves promoted up to the top flight they couldn't regularly fill their little ground. Out of that list, I'd only put them just about above Bournemouth and.....well I'm struggling.....on a par with maybe Watford and Swansea. Bigger mouths though, tbf.

well they'd know bout division 3 south above all others

Not sure why anyone could give the remotest toss about any of their amazing firsts. It brings football down to the level of trainspotting, when it should be about getting ****ed and shouting a lot.

I agree with the first sentence, have no problem how people want to enjoy their football though.

I've got a minute or two spare...

So, Watford, and Palace - teams with crowds traditionally around the 15-20k mark - just like Portsmouth. Over 20k capacities - unlike Portsmouth.

Brighton - regular second tier side with occasional brief top division spells - just like Portsmouth. New ground and over 20k capacity - unlike Portsmouth.

Swansea - long time lower league club with crowds around 20k when in the top tier - just like Portsmouth. New ground and over 20k capacity - unlike Portsmouth.

Bournemouth - long time lower league club with sellout crowds only when in the top tier - just like Portsmouth. New ground - unlike Portsmouth.

Saints - lol, 16 years of average crowds at least 5k more than the highest capacity of Fratton every season, only 7 seasons of the past 67 spent below them, ground capacity currently nearly twice theirs...

As for "huge catchment area"... they've got the A3 corridor up to Guildford which is 90% fields before you hit the Chelsea fans, all the way to Fareham in the west, and now Brighton are in the Premier League, they're not getting past Chichester in the east. Are they mental?

And lets not get started on that "borrowed" comment, either. Their money wasn't "borrowed", it was outright stolen from the tax man and the hordes of creditors.

Video here of it kicking off

now that was a pathetic pitch invasion. I noticed that at the front of the Oldham fans was what seemed like a father and his young lad, they just sat there and didn't think to move away from the Pompey massive.

What is it with these lads who walk around behind the stewards with outstretched arms. Just giving it large but not really trying to get through.

http://englishsoccerguide.com/meet-an-english-soccer-club-portsmouth-fc/

Interesting read.

I feel that, as nutjobs, it is our responsibility to enlighten Paul about the real Portsmouth.

It's interesting that he references the rivalry between Portland and Seattle, because this is the welcome Portland fans give to Seattle, and one I feel Saints ought to replicate whenever we next welcome our fishy friends...

BWhB85kCEAAWSAc.jpg

Pample! You're not actually watching, are you?!

I'm wandering down my local pub (in a PO area) in 20 minutes or soto watch the England game. There will no doubt be a residue of skates hanging around, I'll have to ask their opinion. :-)

I did watch it, unfortunately. Makes me feel slightly better about Saints - we're still the best team on the South Coast.

The Disney crowd are planning to redevelop Fratton Park with "an historic English feel"

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-chief-reveals-fratton-park-vision-1-8188650

Their fans are absolutely desperate to have a bigger stadium than us.

The reality is that they couldn't even sell out in the Premier League. 22-25000 is their level.

So looks like their new owner was a nonce enabler at Disney after buying Weinstein and keeping Harvey on for 10 years whilst (allegedly) knowing what he was up to. Certainly a lot of chat on Twitter from Hollywood actresses that Eisner knew exactly what HW was up to but let it slide.

WTF is it with that lot? Gun runners, fake sheikhs, 2 bob fans that instantly raid the booze cabinet and now someone that played a key role in the biggest Hollywood nonce cover up in the last 50 years!

So looks like their new owner was a nonce enabler at Disney after buying Weinstein and keeping Harvey on for 10 years whilst (allegedly) knowing what he was up to. Certainly a lot of chat on Twitter from Hollywood actresses that Eisner knew exactly what HW was up to but let it slide.

WTF is it with that lot? Gun runners, fake sheikhs, 2 bob fans that instantly raid the booze cabinet and now someone that played a key role in the biggest Hollywood nonce cover up in the last 50 years!

It's ok... he's denied it....

mILaVGfbDq2Znm7UZJrhPjujMGhuv2Agh4Gos7BJtf9M8teqp9PDadWN7OUSVRIjCrZpQjLWN-2j4q2U7uG77BguXcyT61OSZEGTB-SQH8QxkCCPckmEdR0qbaUJlyKy52t_EhT9UaXXpx43G4aYB0oEx0B-GRPhQES0dTvBcYOt3MTyMUck3HAZLkTFxh2NTzbBUf0uK2yXchoV0mkYXKyzUwcysPeD2Slh7bvmDFy1gci4Khccg01zQfC8lUHYvhQ23nhRqi14mUouP2cgXLSQdbNYsUDrnbTOF23SuGqkvw0fjaOY2aB0KYgWCigsq6tvu-3PLDVOZzSRAh563FNC7tMrcdhb2IiUtXMoCaf2h21EA1pqvaw1_P4besFgANqRI3SJy8ZrwiO6h5jcpLtNQUaewtgz7sGeuFYkFiwd7sa6wkPxaM4JCKZPZbgGxNqLWgEinh5AqRL579em1GUIZui-a8-cR-fG2342kCTfBHwriR3A_co-aUc6LYG-JjlxtrBaQQzDVtOwH4ZQGJ4FTyZ9SWrfwdbx2DIhwPecvAShwf9jkanyyg4Ms5XcUwYccaIRLXeAeLbokKf7ukp2t0kPx5Q5mDVQHrymIGg=w837-h295-no

And everyone on that twitter thread believes him.....

giphy.gif

Edited by trousers

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})